Mara Campbell
Mara Campbell
Argentina
Local time: 23:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 26, 2012

Hi!
My client ("A") has two very large handbooks they want me to translate, which their client ("B") wrote for two different clients ("C" and "D"). B claims to have used the handbook for C as a "base" and made minor changes to it to produce the handbook for D (C and D are sister companies, by the way, there's nothing unethical going on here. B says the handbook for D is 80% the same as the one for C.

Naturally,
... See more
Hi!
My client ("A") has two very large handbooks they want me to translate, which their client ("B") wrote for two different clients ("C" and "D"). B claims to have used the handbook for C as a "base" and made minor changes to it to produce the handbook for D (C and D are sister companies, by the way, there's nothing unethical going on here. B says the handbook for D is 80% the same as the one for C.

Naturally, B is requesting a quote based on that presumption, but A wants me to make sure that it is really 80% or what percentage it really is.

The files are in InDesign format. I can export them or convert them to many formats (INX, XML, Word, whatever).

I wanted to know if anybody knows any software or has any idea as to how to compare these documents and get a percentage of matches, similar to the one Trados Analysis throws (a general "repetitions" number would be fine).

Thanks!!
Mara
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:00
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Analysis with cross-file repetitions May 27, 2012

If you can export them both to INX, you should be able to run the analysis with Trados or SDLX taking into account "Cross-file propagation". I can't remember the exact name of the option, nor where it is... but it basically counts repetitions across all anlyzed files, instead of just within each file, so it should give you the figures you need

HtH,
Roberta

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:00
English to Turkish
+ ...
visual comparison May 27, 2012

If you want to 'see' the differences there is a good tool for it: DiffPDF .

Just convert the files into PDF format and compare in DiffPDF.

http://www.qtrac.eu/diffpdf.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compare two InDesign files (read post)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »