Unable to start DVX on new laptop (OS: Windows Vista)
Thread poster: Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:49
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
May 17, 2007

Hi everybody,

I just installed DVX on a new laptop but I keep getting error messages when trying to start the program. Could this be related to the fact that the laptop runs with Windows Vista? Any ideas of how I can solve the problem?

Many thanks in advance!

Olaf

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:49
English to German
+ ...
Which DVX version? May 17, 2007

Did you install your update from www.atril.com ?

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:49
English to German
what kind of error message? May 17, 2007

Olaf to help, we would need to know which error message or messages you get.
could you install without a problem?

Judy Ann

but one question- - how could you choose Vista for your working enviroment?

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Details May 17, 2007

Dear Judy Ann and Harry,

Thanks for your quick replies! Here are the details:

(1) I went to www.atril.com and went to the download section and chose "DVX Evaluation" (with the idea of entering my serial number later).

(2) I downloaded the zip folder "Setup.Zip" and installed the program.

(3) I clicked on the DVX icon to start the program but go
... See more
Dear Judy Ann and Harry,

Thanks for your quick replies! Here are the details:

(1) I went to www.atril.com and went to the download section and chose "DVX Evaluation" (with the idea of entering my serial number later).

(2) I downloaded the zip folder "Setup.Zip" and installed the program.

(3) I clicked on the DVX icon to start the program but got the following error message:

An unexpected error has occurred in the application you were using, the details are displayed below for information.

Component: dvxEngine, Version 7.5.297
Error number: 5
Location: Module 'mEvaluation', Routine 'OP_REG_SetCurrentSerialNumber', Line Number 1455
Description: Invalid procecure call or argument

I then used the error diagnosis and got the following information:

- Other users have reported this error and it is currently under investigation
- No resolution information is available at this time
- No fix is available at this time

Does this mean I should uninstall Windows Vista and install Windows XP? Or is there another solution to this problem that allows me to keep working with Windows Vista?
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
it should be OK as I heard May 17, 2007

One of my most important clients uses DVX and several months ago (even before 7.5 was launched) they told me that they had been corresponding with Atril about the new release. The point is that at least in principle, 7.5 should work seamlessly with Vista.

Then again, the error message you received is all too common with DVX...

Csaba

Judy Schoen
English to German
Deinstall and reinstall May 17, 2007

the first thing to test is to deinstall, reboot and do a new install. but make sure that no virus program is running (stop all related services) . BTW, which one are you using?

as you write you want to enter your serial, did you get one for this laptop? a serial only works on ONE machine.

Vista is not suitable for a sytsem you want to use for work, at least not, before there is a SP1. It is simple as this.

DVX works with Vista, but there are a few Vista pi
... See more
the first thing to test is to deinstall, reboot and do a new install. but make sure that no virus program is running (stop all related services) . BTW, which one are you using?

as you write you want to enter your serial, did you get one for this laptop? a serial only works on ONE machine.

Vista is not suitable for a sytsem you want to use for work, at least not, before there is a SP1. It is simple as this.

DVX works with Vista, but there are a few Vista pitfalls:

make sure that Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 is installed.

Maybe the XML Core Service 4.0, which should be installed in Vista, is not installed, etc.

kind regards Judy Ann

[Bearbeitet am 2007-05-17 13:42]
Collapse

Judy Schoen
English to German
Deinstall and reinstall May 17, 2007

kind regards Judy Ann

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
DVX on Vista May 17, 2007

Hi Olaf,

I have a Vista machine now. At first I got the error messages you quote from (there were 3 such messages, referring to errors in lines 1455, 1600 and 1203).
Javier (at Atril) sent me the following instructions:

In order to install Déjà Vu X in Windows Vista we recommend follow these steps:
- Temporarily disable the User Account Control (UAC)
- Install DVX and run it at least once (under the admin account) to obtain a serial number
- If you have a dongle go to next step. If you want to evaluate Déjà Vu X, request and enter a registration code.
- Turn User Account Control back on
- Log back with a normal account and enjoy Déjà Vu X

So as Judy says, the key is to disable "User Account Control".
You then have to reboot, install DVX, enable UAC again, then reboot again.

I am now working with DVX on Vista.
But I'm wondering about the pitfalls Judy mentions.
I don't know whether Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 or th eXML Core Service 4.0 are installed (in fact, I don't know what they are or how to look for them).

Is there any reference source which explains the possible pitfalls and how to check/fix them?

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two more questions May 17, 2007

Dear Judy Ann and Victor,

Many thanks for your replies! For the moment I want to try two things:
1. Download SP1
2. Follow the procedure described by Victor.

Can you tell me
1. where I can download SP1?
2. where I can disable and re-enable the User Account Control (UAC)?

Again, many thanks!

Olaf

[Edited at 2007-05-17 18:28]

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Your questions May 17, 2007

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:
1. where I can download SP1?
2. where I can disable and re-enable the User Account Control (UAC)?

1. It's not where, it's when. When Microsoft releases it.
So we'll have to manage without it for now.

2. On my (German) system: Start>Einstellungen>Benutzerkonten (presumably Start>Settings>User Accounts). The resulting screen has an option to switch UAC on and off. I believe this is only possible if you log in as administrator.

When you have turned it off, you have to reboot.
When you have installed DVX and turned it back on, you have to reboot again.

FWIW, I didn't switch my anti-virus program off to install DVX. (I have AVG "AntiVirenKit", which came with the computer).

Judy Schoen
English to German
SP1 and Antivirus software May 17, 2007

sp1 will be here in a few months, and it is always good practice to wait for this with any MS software.

Victor, Antivirus Software often causes problems during installation. Not always, but very often.

Norton is the worst in this aspect, but I have seen problems with all of them.

kind regards
Judy Ann

Michaela Sommer
Michaela Sommer  Identity Verified
English to German
Similar problems with DVX and Vista May 18, 2007

I'm having similar problems with the installation of DVX. I don't even get as far as you, Olaf, but get an error message at the very end of the installation process (error 1935). And I have gone through everything that's been recommended by Javier and Judy Ann, including deactivating the UAC and the anti-virus programme (avast) and even installed MSXML Core Service 4.0 (what ever this may be...) and manually installed the 'SDK' as recommended on ... See more
I'm having similar problems with the installation of DVX. I don't even get as far as you, Olaf, but get an error message at the very end of the installation process (error 1935). And I have gone through everything that's been recommended by Javier and Judy Ann, including deactivating the UAC and the anti-virus programme (avast) and even installed MSXML Core Service 4.0 (what ever this may be...) and manually installed the 'SDK' as recommended on this website: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&displaylang=en

All to no avail! Looks I'll have to wait until SP1 comes out...
Collapse

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My solution: uninstall Vista and install XP May 21, 2007

Dear all,

Thank you very much for all your input! Having struggled with Vista for almost a week, I decided to uninstall Vista and to install XP instead. This took me a long time to do, but luckily my computer is running again now

Kind regards,

Olaf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to start DVX on new laptop (OS: Windows Vista)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »