Problems exporting file (exports only partially)
Thread poster: Gary S
Gary S
Gary S
Local time: 20:43
English
Apr 24, 2007

Hello everyone.

First time posting here. I tried checking the forum archives first, but didn't turn up what I was looking for. So here goes:

I am currently having trouble exporting a finished translation from DV (v. 7.0.238 professional) back into Word. The document is rather long and, for whatever reason, the "finished" export only includes about the first 10 pages. On the other hand, when I use the external view feature, it works fine (i.e. the full text is exported)
... See more
Hello everyone.

First time posting here. I tried checking the forum archives first, but didn't turn up what I was looking for. So here goes:

I am currently having trouble exporting a finished translation from DV (v. 7.0.238 professional) back into Word. The document is rather long and, for whatever reason, the "finished" export only includes about the first 10 pages. On the other hand, when I use the external view feature, it works fine (i.e. the full text is exported). I've checked for missing/bad codes, unfinished cells, etc., but everything seems to be in line. I also checked DV's own help menu, but no luck there either.

So, does anyone have any idea why the entire document isn't being exported and/or what I might try to fix that?

Thank you in advance for any help and or advice (or for pointing me toward past forums on this topic).

Gary
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:13
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Probably damaged code Apr 25, 2007

I had the same problem myself a week ago, with a very large, heavily formatted text (lots of multi-column tables loaded with text and figures). The solution, often mentioned in the DéjàVu Yahoo list, was to create a new project and import just the part of my Word document that wasn't exporting properly, then re-translate from the memory. I don't know what shred of code I'd damaged the first time around, but the second time was a charm. Fortunately, the break wasn't in the middle of one of t... See more
I had the same problem myself a week ago, with a very large, heavily formatted text (lots of multi-column tables loaded with text and figures). The solution, often mentioned in the DéjàVu Yahoo list, was to create a new project and import just the part of my Word document that wasn't exporting properly, then re-translate from the memory. I don't know what shred of code I'd damaged the first time around, but the second time was a charm. Fortunately, the break wasn't in the middle of one of those complex tables, so I had no problem joining the two sections. It sure gave me a scare, though, until I actuallly managed to export the re-translation!

Do let us know whether this solution works for you.
Collapse

Gary S
Gary S
English
TOPIC STARTER
Problems exporting file (exports only partially) Apr 25, 2007

Thank you very much, ybroad! My document is also heavily formatted, and I am actually in the middle of trying your solution right now. Unfortunately, I'd joined a bunch of segments in the original translation, so things aren't as "green" as I'd hoped and it's taking a while. Nevertheless, if it works (and I'm keeping my fingers crossed), it'll be worth it.

Thanks again!
Gary

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
English to German
several things Apr 25, 2007

First- you are working with a rather old Version. You might consider updating.

If you get heavily formatted documents, you should prepare the document before importing to DVX.

Extract the images, if possible. Reduce the formatting where possible. (Set the language again for the entire document, turn of hyphenation, etc)
After import do a pseudotranslate (with random characters), test if the document exports.
Save as RTF (if a Word file) before import.
... See more
First- you are working with a rather old Version. You might consider updating.

If you get heavily formatted documents, you should prepare the document before importing to DVX.

Extract the images, if possible. Reduce the formatting where possible. (Set the language again for the entire document, turn of hyphenation, etc)
After import do a pseudotranslate (with random characters), test if the document exports.
Save as RTF (if a Word file) before import.

If you have tables, images or fields in the header or footer, delete them before you import, they often cause the problems during export

In addition, if you need to join often you need to adjust your delimiters

Kind regards
Judy Ann

[Bearbeitet am 2007-04-25 05:44]
Collapse

Gary S
Gary S
English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Several things Apr 25, 2007

Thank you very much, Judy, for all the tips. In the end, I tried ybroad's suggestion, and it seems to have worked. Nevertheless, I will definitely bear in mind all of your useful pointers in the future (and consider upgrading!), although hopefully it will be to head off a repeat episode rather than fix one after the fact... what a night!

Thanks again!
Gary

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems exporting file (exports only partially)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »