Larissa Dinsley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:12
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 12, 2007

Hi everybody!

Does anybody know if it is possible to get rid of embedded codes in a TM? I have never paid much attention to them before, but now I had to convert one of my DVX TM to Trados and it has successfully transferred all the embedded codes.

Is it just me? Am I doing something wrong? Can I do anything to get rid automatically of all embedded codes from the TM?

Thank you for your help!

[Edited at 2007-03-12 11:40]

AndrewRoads
AndrewRoads  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Embedded codes Mar 12, 2007

Larissa,

Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong! There doesn't seem to be any way of not importing the codes from your projects/alignment files. However, it doesn't take long to get rid of them.

You need to open the TM, and then click into it as if you were going to edit it. Now highlight a code - it's probably best to start with the 1s - and copy it (CTRL C). Now do a find/replace, either by selecting it in the edit menu, or using CTRL F. The code should be pas
... See more
Larissa,

Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong! There doesn't seem to be any way of not importing the codes from your projects/alignment files. However, it doesn't take long to get rid of them.

You need to open the TM, and then click into it as if you were going to edit it. Now highlight a code - it's probably best to start with the 1s - and copy it (CTRL C). Now do a find/replace, either by selecting it in the edit menu, or using CTRL F. The code should be pasted automatically into the find field, but if not just paste it in yourself. Then select replace, but leave the field blank. Select "replace all" and it will remove all the 1s. Repeat for 2, 3, 4 etc. You'll need to do the same thing for all the languages in the TM. The codes don't seem to go as high as they do in alignment/projects, rarely over 20 in my experience. Sometimes during the replacement process something strange happens with the display. Don't worry - just close DV and reopen it. (Maximising the TM seems to help)

Hope this helps!
Collapse

SteveW
SteveW
Spain
Local time: 05:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
search and replace Mar 12, 2007

Hi Larissa,
You can do this simply by searching for { (just the opening curly bracket, no numbers and no closing curly bracket), and then replace with nothing. It wil delete all embedded codes.
If your texts have curly brackets in them, those wil go, too. It depends how important they are for you!
Try it first on a copy of the TM to see how and if it works.
HTH,
Steve

Larissa Dinsley wrote:

Hi everybody!

Does anybody know if it is possible to get rid of embedded codes in a TM? I have never paid much attention to them before, but now I had to convert one of my DVX TM to Trados and it has successfully transferred all the embedded codes.

Is it just me? Am I doing something wrong? Can I do anything to get rid automatically of all embedded codes from the TM?

Thank you for your help!

[Edited at 2007-03-12 11:40]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:12
Italian to English
In memoriam
Olifant Mar 12, 2007

Hi Larissa,

It's very easy to remove embedded codes from TMX-format translation memories with the freeware Olifant tool (Utilities\Remove Inline Codes):

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

HTH

Giles

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:12
English to German
+ ...
Or export + import of External View Mar 12, 2007

If it is only for one project, you can get rid of the codes by exporting an External View (including row ID) and checking the "suppress embedded codes" box.
If you reimport this External View, the codes are gone and you can save this project in another TM.

Larissa Dinsley
Larissa Dinsley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Andrew, Steve, Giles and Harry! Mar 12, 2007

It worked!

Thank you so much for your expert help.

Such a choice of options! Makes me feel sort of inadequate for not being able to work it out myself.

I did what seemed to be the easiest for me - by searching for { and then replacing it with nothing (as suggested by Steve).

And I shall definitely check the Olifant tool when I have a little bit more time on my hands - thank yo
... See more
It worked!

Thank you so much for your expert help.

Such a choice of options! Makes me feel sort of inadequate for not being able to work it out myself.

I did what seemed to be the easiest for me - by searching for { and then replacing it with nothing (as suggested by Steve).

And I shall definitely check the Olifant tool when I have a little bit more time on my hands - thank you Giles!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Embedded Codes in TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »