Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:39
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2007

I have tried doing this using the wizard to regroup a number of overlapping TMs into a newly created TM. The newly created TM does not display any of the imported entries despite the file size indicating that they are there. All help greatly appreciated.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
UK English and US English? Feb 22, 2007

When you opened the MDB in the editing environment, did you select "All" on the target languages side? Perhaps you have a mixture of En_gb and En_us?
Did you select the languages properly during import?

Regards,
David Turner

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no further forward Feb 22, 2007

I had "UK English" selected (which in theory was the right target languange). I just tried again with "all languages" and still have nothing in the target TM despite the wizard saying it has successfully imported x entries.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:39
English to German
+ ...
Maybe one of the two languages totally wrong? Feb 22, 2007

Eutychus wrote:
I just tried again with "all languages" and still have nothing in the target TM despite the wizard saying it has successfully imported x entries.

So it seems they are there, but cannot be found.
- Have you tried browsing the available and likeable language pairs in the TM to make them visible (including Dutch, a DVX default value)?
- If the import works, does any export work (e.g. to Trados text format, where you could see the nominal language)?

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Look in database properties? Feb 22, 2007

Eutychus wrote:

I had "UK English" selected (which in theory was the right target languange). I just tried again with "all languages" and still have nothing in the target TM despite the wizard saying it has successfully imported x entries.

If you open the MDB, do you at least have a list of sentences on the source side when French is selected as the source language? Maybe you chose French Belgium or some other variant by mistake during import?
What do you get if you choose Database/Properties/Statistics/Calculate? It should give you the number of pairs of entries and the languages concerned.

Regards,
David Turner

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no sentences nowhere Feb 22, 2007

>What do you get if you choose >Database/Properties/Statistics/Calculate

nuthin'

blank

no sentences visible in TM and no stats or anything.

I'll try Harry's suggestion when I get a minute.

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Try Olifant? Feb 23, 2007

Eutychus wrote:
no sentences visible in TM and no stats or anything.

Are the TMs DVX MDBs or are they in some other form (TMX, .txt)?
Perhaps you would have more luck using the free Enlaso Olifant utility for editing and merging TMs?

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Regards,
David Turner

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could be a problem with a recent build May 17, 2007

Sorry not to have pursued this - too busy actually doing the work! A colleague suggested the problem is related to a bug in a recent build of DVX. I haven't tried again since.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing DVX TM into an existing one

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »