Thread poster: Carmen Cuervo-Arango
Carmen Cuervo-Arango
Carmen Cuervo-Arango  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 25, 2007

I would like to know how to merge memories in such a way that the new memory imported into the old one will replace all segments with the same source. The manual is not very clear about how to do it.

This would be very helpful for updating memories without keeping the old versions.

I have a huge personal memory for a client + the client's final revised memory, which does not include all the files I have translated. I would like my personal TM to include all the correct
... See more
I would like to know how to merge memories in such a way that the new memory imported into the old one will replace all segments with the same source. The manual is not very clear about how to do it.

This would be very helpful for updating memories without keeping the old versions.

I have a huge personal memory for a client + the client's final revised memory, which does not include all the files I have translated. I would like my personal TM to include all the corrected segments proposed by the client (cancelling mine if different) + all my translated segments not corrected by the client yet.

As my TM has more than 40,000 segments, it is not practical to search for segments with exact source and different target and decide which one to cancel.

Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance!!!

Carmen
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Jan 26, 2007

[Edited at 2007-01-26 07:16]

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Jan 26, 2007

[Edited at 2007-01-26 07:21]

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Use Database maintenance or SQL select? Jan 26, 2007

Two solutions come to mind.
If there are only a limited number of entries to be deleted (say 50 or less), you could import the client's memory into a COPY of your personal TM, open the TM in DVX and select duplicates with different translations using Database/Find sets of duplicate sentences with different translations. You could then select and delete the translations you don't want manually.
If there are too many changes for manual editing to be practical, you could select older du
... See more
Two solutions come to mind.
If there are only a limited number of entries to be deleted (say 50 or less), you could import the client's memory into a COPY of your personal TM, open the TM in DVX and select duplicates with different translations using Database/Find sets of duplicate sentences with different translations. You could then select and delete the translations you don't want manually.
If there are too many changes for manual editing to be practical, you could select older duplicates i.e. before a certain date (presumably the ones you want to delete) by entering an SQL select command in the Select SQL box (where 31/12/2006 is the date of interest)

ID IN (SELECT ID FROM Sentences WHERE DUPLICATE=TRUE AND DateStamp
Collapse

Carmen Cuervo-Arango
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, David Jan 26, 2007

In my case, I have to use your second option, for the TM they send me is huge as well. The problem is that the entries in that corrected TM have been introduced in different dates and by different users (they keep on feeding it year after year). Thefore I cannot set a certain date or user. Is there still another option for replacing the first memory segments with the second ones, if different?

I also have problems using the SQL commands. I quite don't understand the system. For exa
... See more
In my case, I have to use your second option, for the TM they send me is huge as well. The problem is that the entries in that corrected TM have been introduced in different dates and by different users (they keep on feeding it year after year). Thefore I cannot set a certain date or user. Is there still another option for replacing the first memory segments with the second ones, if different?

I also have problems using the SQL commands. I quite don't understand the system. For example, I don't know whether I have to follow the process before importing or after importing the second TM. Have you learnt how to use this system and syntax in the DVX manual or somewhere else where it is explained more easily?

I am going to give it a try again. I have downloaded the electronic manual (http://www.atril.com/docs/DVX/DVX%20Pro.pdf) and concentrate on SQL - "Digging in — advanced topics section" Page 520. Let's see if this time I get it!!!

Thanks again for your help!

Carmen

[Edited at 2007-01-26 16:57]
Collapse

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
SQL Jan 27, 2007

You would use that command after importing your client mdb.
I would try posting your question on the dejavu users' list. I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a more elegant solution ([email protected]).

SQL is very powerful and you can do all sort of clever things with it in DVX. But you don't necessarily have to understand it fully. You can just paste in ready made commands to do what you want. For example:

source like '*car*' and target_2057 like
... See more
You would use that command after importing your client mdb.
I would try posting your question on the dejavu users' list. I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a more elegant solution ([email protected]).

SQL is very powerful and you can do all sort of clever things with it in DVX. But you don't necessarily have to understand it fully. You can just paste in ready made commands to do what you want. For example:

source like '*car*' and target_2057 like '*auto*'
selects all rows in the project containing the word *car* in the source and *auto* in the target (where 2057 is the language code for English UK)

LastModified_2057 >= Date()
displays all sentence pairs in the project changed today

Sentence not like "*[a-z]* *[a-z]*"
selects "junk" entries in the TM not containing at least two words

The necco site also contains lots of excellent tips and tricks on using DV and has a whole section on SQL.
http://necco.ca/dv/sql_dvx.htm

Additionally, there is "A Tinkerer's Guide to SQL in DVX" (PDF-180Kb) compiled by Michael Farrell.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
David Turner
Collapse

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
User ID Jan 27, 2007

You could perhaps differentiate the duplicates by user ID (presumably the entries in your client's TM will have a different user ID?).

ID IN (SELECT ID FROM Sentences WHERE DUPLICATE=TRUE AND UserNick = 'Carmen')

where *Carmen* is the user ID in your TM.

Regards,
David Turner

Carmen Cuervo-Arango
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
User ID Jan 27, 2007

Thank you so much for all your advice, David. You have made me seen the importance of digging into this feature, for I am sure it will be very useful to me in different ways.

Apart from the manual, I am also going to study the proposals in the necco site and Michael Farrell's guide.

Your answers will no doubt help me a lot!

Have a nice weekend,

Carmen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import a memory and replace old exact source segments

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »