How to re-import translated file into DéjàVu?
Thread poster: Susanne Pech
Susanne Pech
Susanne Pech
Local time: 23:18
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jan 20, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I normally do not use DéjàVu but a client sent me a DéjàVu job. However as I did not have the time to learn everything about this program, I just got the 30-days-trial-version and used the 'pseudotranslate'-option to take the files into the right column and export a normal excel file (this already took me a while). Now I have translated the file (not using any other CAT-tool just in case) but I don´t know how to get it back into the Déjà Vu project (on the ri
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I normally do not use DéjàVu but a client sent me a DéjàVu job. However as I did not have the time to learn everything about this program, I just got the 30-days-trial-version and used the 'pseudotranslate'-option to take the files into the right column and export a normal excel file (this already took me a while). Now I have translated the file (not using any other CAT-tool just in case) but I don´t know how to get it back into the Déjà Vu project (on the right column). Copy and paste is rather out of question because the project is quite large. Can anybody help, please?

Susanne
Collapse

Klas Törnquist
Klas Törnquist
English to Swedish
+ ...
Not quite clear! Jan 20, 2006

Susanne Pech wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I normally do not use DéjàVu but a client sent me a DéjàVu job. However as I did not have the time to learn everything about this program, I just got the 30-days-trial-version and used the 'pseudotranslate'-option to take the files into the right column and export a normal excel file (this already took me a while). Now I have translated the file (not using any other CAT-tool just in case) but I don´t know how to get it back into the Déjà Vu project (on the right column). Copy and paste is rather out of question because the project is quite large. Can anybody help, please?

Susanne

Did you export to External View? If you didn't, try that. You will then have a two column Word file, where you can paste into the target column. Then you can reimport.

How did you end up with an Excel file?

Klas

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:18
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Hmmm ... I thought two-column file didn't reimport in DVX ??? Jan 20, 2006

I'm confused. I thought that one of the "features" Atril had built into DVX was that the edit-in-2-column Word file was gone in DVX. Or was that only to prevent cases where a second computer was used, presumably to keep an owner of DVX Standard or Pro from "cheating," as was standard practice with DV3 and earlier, by distributing work to non-DV owners, then reimporting into DV to acquire the memory?

Like Klas, I am curious about the Excel file.

Susanne Pech
Susanne Pech
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try that Jan 20, 2006

Ok, I'll try it with the External View. I do not remember what I actually did (I think export project) as it was more or less trial and error. This way I ended up with the Excel file (the file to be translated is also in Excel).

Thanks for the fast answer.

Klas Törnquist
Klas Törnquist
English to Swedish
+ ...
External View Jan 20, 2006

Yolanda Broad wrote:

I'm confused. I thought that one of the "features" Atril had built into DVX was that the edit-in-2-column Word file was gone in DVX. Or was that only to prevent cases where a second computer was used, presumably to keep an owner of DVX Standard or Pro from "cheating," as was standard practice with DV3 and earlier, by distributing work to non-DV owners, then reimporting into DV to acquire the memory?

You are partly right and partly wrong.

The two column export in DV3 was "unrestricted", i.e. you could export with empty target cells.

In DVX Professional, you can't export empty target cells (or target cells containing source text) to External View without adding a comment for each one. This restriction does not apply to (the more expensive) DVX Workgroup.

In DVX Pro it's fully possible to export a finished translation to External View and e.g. send it to an external proofreader, who doesn't have DVX, and then reimport the proofed file.

Klas

Susanne Pech
Susanne Pech
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 25, 2006

Many thanks for the great advice. It has worked just fine and the client was pleased.

Susanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to re-import translated file into DéjàVu?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »