Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Are there any news about DVX4?
Thread poster: mikhailo
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
ProZ Plus and CafeTran Oct 17, 2018

I too think it would make sense to have the ProZ Plus credentials unlock the license for the duration of the membership without requiring an Internet connection.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the past, but the developper isn't probably subscribed to this forum, so it would make sense to bring this to the CafeTran forum her
... See more
I too think it would make sense to have the ProZ Plus credentials unlock the license for the duration of the membership without requiring an Internet connection.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the past, but the developper isn't probably subscribed to this forum, so it would make sense to bring this to the CafeTran forum here on ProZ, or on the official discussions page: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions

Another way would be to create a private support ticket (requires registration): https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/tickets

Jean
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Activation: Once a Day Oct 17, 2018

Merab Dekano wrote:

Suppose you are out and have no internet connection (I never trust free wifi stuff, as I have a bunch of confidential documents sitting in my SSD).

If I remember correctly, you can start CafeTran Espresso 2019 before you leave your office (home) and the activation will stay active for the rest of the day.

Edit:

If you are a PLUS member at ProZ.com, CafeTran checks your membership status at the start-up. After that, you can go offline. Therefore, if you are able to predict any network issues during the day, just run it beforehand and let it keep running. Perhaps in the future, I may come up with some other ProZ.com PLUS membership verification. However, if you are working offline most of the time, please consider the other two licensing options available.

Source: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000048396

[Edited at 2018-10-17 18:13 GMT]

Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
Member (2008)
German to English
I’ve messaged Atril Nov 2, 2018

I have almost given up on Atril now & have been testing memoQ as an alternative, but I would still like to upgrade to DVX4 if it’s released any time soon. I decided to message Atril today and see if they give any indication of when the program will be released. I’ll post again here if I hear something....

Rob Edwards
Member (2008)
German to English
Still nothing from Atril Nov 6, 2018

There has been no reply from Atril so far, so I have to say, it does not look good. Does anyone know if the company still exists or has folded?

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:33
Russian to English
+ ...
It still exists Nov 6, 2018

It still exists. I just received a technical support message from them today.

Thelusmin Bertil

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thoughts Nov 11, 2018

Sarah McDowell wrote:

It still exists. I just received a technical support message from them today.

I was just thinking; I love the tool, I know it more or less well and it always works (it has never let me down, something that I cannot say about the other CAT tool, well, you know the one I am talking about, the tag-nightmare tool).

In Déjà Vu X3 there are features I have never used. I work with legal and corporate texts, predominately Word documents, so it does not get any more complicated than that. There are some small things I do not like about the tool, but I am long used to them and can put up for the rest of my professional career.

Now, to the point. If Déjà Vu X4 is delayed for several months or years, I would be more than happy to keep using X3, so long they keep support alive (not that I am using it too often, but just in case; I wouldn’t like to find myself on the wrong side of a deadline).

Getting on board a new tool (such as CafeTran, which I have) or memoQ (which I would have to buy) or even upgrading Studio from 2014 to 2019 (which is less money, but as I mentioned, I am not fond of the tool, by far not) seems unnecessary pain to me, now that I thought it twice...

In any case, I can keep Studio 2014 and use it whan I have to, which is what I have been doing during all these years, and continue using Déjà Vu X3 as my main tool (and upgrade when X4 is out).

Any thoughts?

[Edited at 2018-11-11 22:32 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Makes sense Nov 12, 2018

if it ain't broken don't… change it!

[Edited at 2018-11-12 08:06 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No news Nov 15, 2018

Rob Edwards wrote:

There has been no reply from Atril so far, so I have to say, it does not look good. Does anyone know if the company still exists or has folded?

I scheduled a call with Atril via their "call me" feature. They were supposed to call me today 15 minutes ago. No call has taken place.

I called them at their sales number and "spoke" to a voicemail.

Any news at your end?

Rob Edwards

Rob Edwards
Member (2008)
German to English
Some news Nov 15, 2018

I did get a reply from Atril support after about a week. The reply said that X4 is due to be released in the first quarter of 2019, but I'm afraid that I've lost confidence now and already decided to go with memoQ. It's a shame as I'd rather have stayed with DVX, but after all the delays I don't think I could wait any longer.

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Shame on them Nov 15, 2018

Rob Edwards wrote:

I did get a reply from Atril support after about a week. The reply said that X4 is due to be released in the first quarter of 2019, but I'm afraid that I've lost confidence now and already decided to go with memoQ. It's a shame as I'd rather have stayed with DVX, but after all the delays I don't think I could wait any longer.

I don’t think it should take 1 week for just any company to reply to a support ticket. In the past they did reply the same day. I don’t think any company should let you schedule a call and then just not call you.

If I decided to change, memoQ would be my choice too, but I’m sure (just see some recent posts) that DVX is much more reliable a tool than just any other tool I've tried.

Yes, Q1 2019 look like another fabricated story. If they don’t get the new vision out, and the support is included in the current version, I just cannot figure out how they even survive.

Rob Edwards

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
WARNING: memoQ UI = too slow these days (IYAM) Nov 15, 2018

Merab Dekano wrote:

Rob Edwards wrote:

I don’t think it should take 1 week for just any company to reply to a support ticket. In the past they did reply the same day. I don’t think any company should let you schedule a call and then just not call you.

If I decided to change, memoQ would be my choice too, but I’m sure (just see some recent posts) that DVX is much more reliable a tool than just any other tool I've tried.

Yes, Q1 2019 look like another fabricated story. If they don’t get the new vision out, and the support is included in the current version, I just cannot figure out how they even survive.

I've heard a couple of people mention memoQ as a potential alternative to DVX, so thought I would briefly mention why I don't think this is a good idea. Incidentally, I own up to date licences for memoQ, Studio 2019, DVX3 and CafeTran, and have used them all extensively.

Currently, if you work with large termbases, memoQ is not a good idea, as scrolling through the list of hits (to the right) is excruciatingly slow. For that matter, a lot of other parts of the memoQ UI are as slow as molasses these days.

Of the big boys, I would definitely recommend Studio 2019, whose UI feels a lot snappier. I am not impressed with Studio's terminology handling either though, but for different reasons. For terminology in Studio I currently use and recommend: ‘RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler’ (https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/rys-termbase-translation-assembler/766/ ).

I would also recommend CafeTran above memoQ these days, but CafeTran is a special kind of tool, and perhaps better suited for the tinkerer.

Michael

[Edited at 2018-11-15 23:45 GMT]

Regarding memoQ's horrible slowness, see e.g.: https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/330485-memoq_8_performance_scrolling_up_and_down_oh_so_tortuously_slow.html

Where someone just said:

Hello everyone,

(There are so many fora on Proz.Com that I am not sure I got the right one -- do we actually need all those subcategories?)

I've been trying to wrap my head around this. How can it be that I have a powerful computer that handles anything from having 50-100 tabs open, intensive statistics software, and moderately heavy graphics display without problems, and STILL find that MemoQ is getting so slow when you scroll up or down the strings in Editor that it basically stutters? A client recently upgraded to 8.6 and I see it's even worse than 8.3, and much, much worse than 2015 or 2014R2 are (which I still use for other clients and honestly prefer them for allowing me to work at my top speed). I even tried creating a small off-line local project comprised of a 50-word, 10-string document and extremely lean resources, to see if any of that was the problem, but it's still just as slow when scrolling up or down. The refresh rate is simply appalling. Is anyone else experiencing such issues?

Thanks,
Georgios

[Edited at 2018-11-16 10:14 GMT]

Roy Chacón

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso 2019 Nov 16, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

I would also recommend CafeTran above memoQ these days, but CafeTran is a special kind of tool, and perhaps better suited for the tinkerer.

Special kind, yes indeed, but nowadays not as much for tinkerers as for 'rethinkerers'. 90 % of the operations in CafeTran Espresso 2019 are very easy to learn and perform (in fact you can learn using CafeTran Espresso 2019 in one morning).

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:33
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Support is still online Nov 16, 2018

Merab Dekano wrote:

Rob Edwards wrote:

I don’t think it should take 1 week for just any company to reply to a support ticket. In the past they did reply the same day.

I agree that an answer after about one week ago or more is not favorable at all, but the poster (Rob) did not expect an answer on a support ticket, but on a general question for a product release. Atril still answers on the same day, when you need support. The last time I had an issue with X3 was on the 31 of August and it was answered the same day.
The delay of DV X4 may be caused by major software engine changes in Windows 10* to be expected the next month(s). I wonder whether Kilgray or SDL would communicate those considerations in (or with) the public.

* https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-resumes-rollout-of-windows-10-october-update/

[Bearbeitet am 2018-11-16 12:50 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
CafeTran Nov 16, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

I tried to play around with CafeTran today. I managed to set up a couple of test projects, translate some files, deal with tags, etc. I created a source file with “heavy” formatting issues, images, footnotes, endnotes, etc. CafeTran dealt with it very well (even though I don’t really like the interface; too “messy” and it doesn’t optimise the screen surface, in my opinion. I know, you can play with screen configuration, but still.

One thing I cannot get my head around is this “total recall” vs “project TM” thing. Being “old school” guy, I just exported my DVX TM in tmx format (+160MB) and tried to link it to a test project. Not only CafeTran stopped, but also my laptop did (and my laptop is a good one: i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc. It’s a gaming laptop, even though I never “game”). I couldn’t find CafeTran in processes to kill it either. Juts had to push and hold the reset button.

It’s clear I am doing something wrong, but my mind functions with one large TM in mind, not with project-based TMs that somehow “dwell” in a “total recall” world, which is total mystery to me.

In other words, I cannot use the tool, not for now.

[Edited at 2018-11-16 20:23 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
some hints re TMXs and Total Recall in CafeTran Nov 16, 2018

Merab Dekano wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

I tried to play around with CafeTran today. I managed to set up a couple of test projects, translate some files, deal with tags, etc. I created a source file with “heavy” formatting issues, images, footnotes, endnotes, etc. CafeTran dealt with it very well (even though I don’t really like the interface; too “messy” and it doesn’t optimise the screen surface, in my opinion. I know, you can play with screen configuration, but still.

One thing I cannot get my head around is this “total recall” vs “project TM” thing. Being “old school” guy, I just exported my DVX TM in tmx format (+160MB) and tried to link it to a test project. Not only CafeTran stopped, but also my laptop did (and my laptop is a good one: i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc. It’s a gaming laptop, even though I never “game”). I couldn’t find CafeTran in processes to kill it either. Juts had to push and hold the reset button.

It’s clear I am doing something wrong, but my mind functions with one large TM in mind, not with project-based TMs that somehow “dwell” in a “total recall” world, which is total mystery to me.

In other words, I cannot use the tool, not for now.

[Edited at 2018-11-16 20:23 GMT]

Yeah, instead of with a special format of its own, CafeTran works directly with TMXs. However, it cannot handle biggish ones very well, even on super-powered computers with 32GB of RAM. In that case, it's best to import these into a Total Recall database (= SQLite-based) and then let CafeTran extract only the segments that are relevant to your current project into a temporary Total Recall TM.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any news about DVX4?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »