Thread poster: Krzysztof Kłonica
Krzysztof Kłonica
Krzysztof Kłonica  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:14
English to Polish
+ ...
May 1, 2005

I am looking for a hint how to export a part of the translation (one-file project) into a target file.
I created a project containing one file, but it turned out that only part of it needs to be translated. I tried to Lock the remaining lines, but I still receive a message about code problems and the export process is stopped.
I use Deja Vu X Professional (Version 7.0.215).
Any ideas, please.

Thanks in advance.
Stake

Hirundo
Hirundo
Local time: 04:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
DVX professional cannot export partial translations May 7, 2005

Deja Vu X professional cannot export partially translated files. You need Workgroup edition to do that.

One workaround is to "translate" every segment by copying source text (F5 button) into segments that need not be translated (those that you would leave blank); export everything; and then again delete/hide the (copied) source text in your translation, so that only translated parts remain.

Hirundo
Hirundo
English to Dutch
+ ...
By the way, it is worth upgrading to 7.0.273 May 7, 2005

And by the way, since you are still using version 7.0.215, it is worth upgrading to the current build.

Go to www.atril.com > download > update to latest build. The current build is 7.0.273.

And Deja Vu X upgrades are free.

Krzysztof Kłonica
Krzysztof Kłonica  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:14
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the hint, Asei May 7, 2005

In the meantime I was digging into the software and indeed it is not possible to do it as I wanted, unfortuantely... I had to copy quite some lines from source to target to manage the problem.
When it comes to updating, I am never to quick to do so, as I believe that if something works fine, it is better to leave it as it is... I might be too cautious, but I have bad experience with "improving" different software. Maybe I will try when I have all my on-going projects finished.
Thanks
... See more
In the meantime I was digging into the software and indeed it is not possible to do it as I wanted, unfortuantely... I had to copy quite some lines from source to target to manage the problem.
When it comes to updating, I am never to quick to do so, as I believe that if something works fine, it is better to leave it as it is... I might be too cautious, but I have bad experience with "improving" different software. Maybe I will try when I have all my on-going projects finished.
Thanks again.

Regards,
Stake.
Collapse

Hirundo
Hirundo
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other work around + Deja Vu updates are good May 9, 2005

stake wrote:

(1) I had to copy quite some lines from source to target to manage the problem.
(2) I have bad experience with "improving" different software. Maybe I will try when I have all my on-going projects finished.

About (1):
There is another workaround if your source text is in MS Word. Before importing your text, first hide parts that need not be translated (select > font > hidden). Deja Vu will import only parts that must be translated, so you need not copy all those source segments. (Of course, be sure to check the option "do not import hidden text" when importing text via project navigator).

Or do this if you had already imported the text and started translation: (1) send your translation to the translation memory, (2) edit the source, hiding untranslatable parts, (3) create a new project, (4) import the edited source text with hidden parts and immediately pretranslate it using the same memory as in step (1), and (5) continue translating your "clean" document.

After exporting, if necessary, you can "batch delete" all hidden text with "find and replace" (CTRL+H). Find hidden text, and replace with nothing!

The same procedure applies to Excel, by colouring text that needs no translation in red, and so on.

About (2):
It is definetly worth updating, and I have not experienced any problems with Deja Vu X upgrades. (Who has?) Refer to the release notes on Atril site for an impressive list of improvements and benefits of your new build. But of course, you are surely on the safe side if you want to finish ongoing projects first.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Partial export of translation into a target file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »