Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:01
Russian to English
I see Oct 28, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I was working on all the files simultaneously, via Project > Open All Files.

I see. This seems to happen only when you're working on the file marked with the folder icon at the top. If you do it while working with a file with, say, a Word icon at the top, it doesn't happen, even if you have multiple files open. Still, this is clearly something to be aware of.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 12:45 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
won't > won’t, don't > don’t, etc. Oct 28, 2016

I can't seem to find any way to automatically convert straight to curly quotes in DVX3. How do you handle this?

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Something strange keeps happening. Oct 28, 2016

Pretty much every half an hour or so, I will mistakenly type something on my keyboard (not sure what it is!), and DVX3 will all of a sudden start automatically translating segment after segment. The only way to stop this is to quickly kill the program. I'm sure I'm triggering some kind of shortcut or something, but I can't figure out what it is.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
all means all Oct 28, 2016

I pressed Enter (to go into selection mode), selected 6 segments, then did: Right-click > Clear > Current segment. However, only the first segment in my selection was cleared. So I clicked: Clear > All segments, thinking that only those that I had selected would be cleared. Ho ho ho, this obviously wasn't the case. Yes, you can stop laughing now. DVX3 cleared all the translations in my entire (20-document) project

So my question is: is there an easy way to select a number of segments and clear their contents?

By the way: THANK GOD FOR Windows 10's File History, as I was able to quickly restore my project.dvprj file back to before I did this.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 12:23 GMT]

You should be careful with the "Clear All" command (and with any other "All" commands). "Clear All" clears all translations in the present "View". Use it in filtered views only, e.g. filter on a segment, filter on certain words/sentences, filter on segments with a certain status.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:01
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Try Carlinga... Oct 28, 2016

I can't seem to find any way to automatically convert straight to curly quotes in DVX3. How do you handle this?

Michael

http://catology.boisset.eu/Carlinga

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
curly vs straight Oct 28, 2016

Michael

I always prefer the straight ones but I think you can change this behaviour at Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
not sure about it Oct 28, 2016

Pretty much every half an hour or so, I will mistakenly type something on my keyboard (not sure what it is!), and DVX3 will all of a sudden start automatically translating segment after segment. The only way to stop this is to quickly kill the program. I'm sure I'm triggering some kind of shortcut or something, but I can't figure out what it is.

Perhaps something related to Dragon, possibly you have activated one of the commands in Home > Confirm and Move to Next or in Project > Pretranslate.

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Use a Dragon Command Oct 28, 2016

Michael

I tried Autocorrect and couldn't get it to work. So...

For left single curly quote marks, create the following new command in Dragon:

MyCommand Name: Open curly
Availability: Application Specific
Application: Deja Vu X3
Command Type: Macro Recorder

Then record the following macro: Alt + 0145 (using your number pad)

Stop and turn off the macro and a list of steps will appear in the Actions window. Check for any obviously unnecessary ones, save, and Bob's your uncle.

For right single curly quote marks, name it "Close curly", and record Alt + 0146.

Obviously, this isn't much help for words like won't, but it's a start.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 16:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-28 16:15 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Options > General > AutoSearch options "Show portions from the Translation Memory": ON or OFF Oct 28, 2016

I was wondering what people here preferred: ON or OFF.

With it switched ON, I find that it produces a lot of noise. This, combined with the fact that I cannot alphabetically sort the results in the "AutoSearch – Portions" window, makes it very difficult for me to find anything in between all the different hits.

It would also be nice if I could show all these "portions from the Translation Memory" in a separate area. That is, I do think I would like to be able to see
... See more

With it switched ON, I find that it produces a lot of noise. This, combined with the fact that I cannot alphabetically sort the results in the "AutoSearch – Portions" window, makes it very difficult for me to find anything in between all the different hits.

It would also be nice if I could show all these "portions from the Translation Memory" in a separate area. That is, I do think I would like to be able to see them, but not mixed in between my actual termbase hits.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Oct 28, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Michael

I tried Autocorrect and couldn't get it to work. So...

For left single curly quote marks, create the following new command in Dragon:

MyCommand Name: Open curly
Availability: Application Specific
Application: Deja Vu X3
Command Type: Macro Recorder

Then record the following macro: Alt + 0145 (using your number pad)

Stop and turn off the macro and a list of steps will appear in the Actions window. Check for any obviously unnecessary ones, save, and Bob's your uncle.

For right single curly quote marks, name it "Close curly", and record Alt + 0146.

Obviously, this isn't much help for words like won't, but it's a start.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 16:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-28 16:15 GMT]

Yes, I already have voice commands for this, but was just wondering if there was a way for DVX to automatically correct it as I type, like in Studio. If I type "isn't" in Studio, it gets auto-corrected to "isn’t". No big deal though if it can't.

@Selcuk: straight quotes might be better in terms of TM leverage + spell-checker functionality, but curly is what 99% of my clients expect in finished docs.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Really Oct 28, 2016

@Selcuk: straight quotes might be better in terms of TM leverage + spell-checker functionality, but curly is what 99% of my clients expect in finished docs.

Really? They are so ugly. Is this actually what British type design recommends? Or just a bad habit?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
am pretty sure Oct 28, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Really? They are so ugly. Is this actually what British type design recommends? Or just a bad habit?

As far as I know, in the typesetting/copywriting/design world, curly is mandatory. Straight quotes are considered unprofessional. Perhaps OK in Excel sheets of tec specs, but not in anything published, websites, etc. Look in any decent paperback or magazine.

If you think curly are ugly, you might be using the wrong fonts. Indeed, here in the Proz forums (which uses Verdana) they look ‘awful’, but not in Word documents, in e.g. ‘Calibri’.

Capture

For example, if you deliver a nice big annual report for e.g. KLM, before it is finally published, some poor bastard will have to go through it to check that all straight quotes are converted into curly.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 17:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-28 17:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-28 18:00 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Options Oct 28, 2016

It would also be nice if I could show all these "portions from the Translation Memory" in a separate area. That is, I do think I would like to be able to see them, but not mixed in between my actual termbase hits.

Options > General > AutoSearch Options
Show Segment and portion results in separate windows

I know this is not exactly what you want but maybe helps. I seems that when switched on, metadata (Client, Subject and other additional fields) are not displayed

Noise sometimes helps, that is a personal preference.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
in an ideal world Oct 28, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Options > General > AutoSearch Options
Show Segment and portion results in separate windows

I know this is not exactly what you want but maybe helps. I seems that when switched on, metadata (Client, Subject and other additional fields) are not displayed

Noise sometimes helps, that is a personal preference.

I'd love it if I could split the window (using "Show Segment and portion results in separate windows"), but then have all the portions from the TM shown in the TM part, not with the termbase hits.

I agree: I also like noise sometimes, but only if alphabetically sorted (I just asked Atril if they'd consider adding alphabetical sorting, optional of course @ https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests)

[Edited at 2016-10-28 18:40 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Apostrophe Oct 28, 2016

won't > won’t, don't > don’t, etc.

I'm just using your word 'quote' to indicate the apostrophe.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp says:

Rule 5. Use an apostrophe with contractions. The apostrophe is placed where a letter or letters have been removed.

I'm not questioning the use of the single curly quote in type set print, but the use of the single curly quote in the contractions you gave as an example.

Can you refer me to an authoritative site/grammar book/typographical handbook that prescribes the use of the single curly quote instead of the apostrophe in contractions?

This is all on a side note--but nevertheless.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 23:24 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to DVX3. How can I …

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »