Rookie question re: Concordance Search (Ctrl S) in Deja Vu X3
Thread poster: Simon Geoghegan
Simon Geoghegan
Simon Geoghegan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:33
Russian to English
Mar 28, 2016

I've been using DVX3 for a little while and am generally enjoying its user friendliness. However, I am having problems getting the best out of the Ctrl S function.

I am a Ru-En translator and there are two main problems I encounter.

1. Ctrl S in Deja Vu seems to have problems searching for entries of more than word. Whenever I enter a set phrase that I'm sure I've translated previously and is in the memory - DVX3 searches for only one of the words.

Is th
... See more
I've been using DVX3 for a little while and am generally enjoying its user friendliness. However, I am having problems getting the best out of the Ctrl S function.

I am a Ru-En translator and there are two main problems I encounter.

1. Ctrl S in Deja Vu seems to have problems searching for entries of more than word. Whenever I enter a set phrase that I'm sure I've translated previously and is in the memory - DVX3 searches for only one of the words.

Is there a concordance search setting that I need to change/adjust? Does anyone know where it is..?

2. The concordance search function seems to have problems discounting Russian case endings or conjugations when searching through the TM. Unless the word in the TM is in exactly the same case/conjugation as the one I enter - Ctrl S doesn't seem to come up with any suggestions or very limited suggestions.

The concordance search on Trados and Wordfast that I have used previously have produced much more satisfactory outcomes, which makes me think that there must be a problem with my settings.

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
ctrl+shift S Mar 28, 2016

Hi Simon,

Select one or more words and try ctrl+shift S.

Moreover organizing your TM helps, if it is large one. I normally create a new TM with the same name and import data from the old DVX TM. Faster compared to exporting and importing TMX files.

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Another DVX3 question Mar 28, 2016

Slightly related to Simon's question, I don't seem to be able to add phrases with punctuation to the termbase. So say, for example, I want to save "Rossiya, Moskva" as "Moscow, Russia", I can save the two words separately, but not the phrase. Is there a way around this? (Apologies for the hijack, and thanks to Selcuk for the previous answer.)

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
punctuation Mar 28, 2016

AFAIR, you can add terms (phrases) with punctuation but they are not displayed in AutoSearch results pane. However, you can find them with Ctrl+L or Ctrl+Shift+L. Additionally, you should see them in AutoWrite suggestions.

Simon Geoghegan
Simon Geoghegan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Selcuk... Mar 28, 2016

Thanks for your suggestion Selcuk.

I tested it with an old translation by changing a letter in a phrase in the source text. However, it didn't seem to make any difference. Ctrl S still insisted on only searching for one word if it wasn't an exact match.

I'll try again when I haven't got a deadline and see if it works in other situations and maybe I do need to sort my large TM out... Although not quite sure where to start... The user manual I suppose...

... See more
Thanks for your suggestion Selcuk.

I tested it with an old translation by changing a letter in a phrase in the source text. However, it didn't seem to make any difference. Ctrl S still insisted on only searching for one word if it wasn't an exact match.

I'll try again when I haven't got a deadline and see if it works in other situations and maybe I do need to sort my large TM out... Although not quite sure where to start... The user manual I suppose...

I find it odd that there aren't any algorithms in Deja Vu taking into account changes in word endings for cases and verb conjugation... The online Russian dictionary Multitran seems to have sorted this...

Again many thanks for your time and help.
Collapse

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
More thanks Mar 28, 2016

Indeed - thanks again, Selcuk.

[Edited at 2016-03-28 23:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rookie question re: Concordance Search (Ctrl S) in Deja Vu X3

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »