hnoronha
hnoronha  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:32
German to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2016

Hi guys

After updating to the latest build of DVX2, the Cntrl A does not give an exact match and produces an Assembled sentence even if the sentence is clearly visible in the database. Even the DVX2 installation is screwed up but not the DVX. I have Workgroup versions. Has anyone experienced this? I am in the middle of some projets and reluctant to unistall and reinstall (might have to I guess), but I am curuios to know if anyone else experienced this erratic behavior and if there i
... See more
Hi guys

After updating to the latest build of DVX2, the Cntrl A does not give an exact match and produces an Assembled sentence even if the sentence is clearly visible in the database. Even the DVX2 installation is screwed up but not the DVX. I have Workgroup versions. Has anyone experienced this? I am in the middle of some projets and reluctant to unistall and reinstall (might have to I guess), but I am curuios to know if anyone else experienced this erratic behavior and if there is a simpler known fix than uninstalling and reinstalling everything!!! I just uninstalled DVx2; rebotted and reinstalled. The problem has not gone away. I guess I will have to now unistall and reinstall DVX3 as well. WHAT A PAIN!

OK; problem solved. Had to remove everything, DVX, DVX2, DVX3 - clean out my registry and folders out manually and the reinstall one by one. My guess is one dll somewhere got corrupted when installing the update. I had Dvx2 open when dvx3 wanted to update. DVx3 complained that dvx2 was open (not sure why) so I shut down Dvx2, but the damage was done I guess. I have no other explanation.

[Edited at 2016-02-03 20:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-03 22:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-03 22:42 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
confused?! Feb 3, 2016

Are you using DVX(1), DVX2 or DVX3?
Latest build? Each build has a number. Latest build for DVX3 is 9.0.736, and for DVX2 it is 8.0.641.
Uninstalled DVX(1) long ago but its latest update is 7.5.338.

Ctrl+A in DVX3 is to select all words in the current segment. Now, Ctrl+Shift+A is used to assemble from portions.

But in DVX2 (and possibly in DVX1) Ctrl+A is used to assemble.

In any case, if there is one exact match in the TM, assemble gives me
... See more
Are you using DVX(1), DVX2 or DVX3?
Latest build? Each build has a number. Latest build for DVX3 is 9.0.736, and for DVX2 it is 8.0.641.
Uninstalled DVX(1) long ago but its latest update is 7.5.338.

Ctrl+A in DVX3 is to select all words in the current segment. Now, Ctrl+Shift+A is used to assemble from portions.

But in DVX2 (and possibly in DVX1) Ctrl+A is used to assemble.

In any case, if there is one exact match in the TM, assemble gives me that translation. Perhaps, your match was not 100%.
Collapse

hnoronha
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use all 3 versions - certainly not confused Feb 3, 2016

Hi Selcuk

I am aware of the fact that DVx3 does not assemble with Cntrl A. But I have been using all 3 versions effortlessly for many many many years. So no, the problem lies elsewhere. Uninstalling everything now, including DVX. Will then start again one step at a time. I know the bugs well and have about 19 years experience with this product and its variations.

hnoronha
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using latest builds for everything Feb 3, 2016

To complete my answer; I am using the latest builds. The update today for DVX3 screwed something up reallly badly. Worst case: will have to redo my entire machine with an acronis backup. Will have to check with my colleague, Deja Vu guru Thomas Leg, whom you may know if you are active on the forums and sites.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
some more details may help Feb 3, 2016

Project was created in DVX1, DVX2 or DVX3
Which filter was used
Segment with or without codes

Yes, I know Thomas. I am user and beta tester for long years as well.

I use both DVX2 and DVX3 (installed on the same machine) but keeping three versions is too much for me. Shared files (if on the same computer) can cause problems.

hnoronha
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Been in this business for 30 years :-) Feb 3, 2016

I do lots of things other users dont. Dvx is faster that DVX2 if you want to make general changes across huge databases, etc.; DVX2 has the best interface (despite you guys, DVx3 has logical issues). I go back so far back in this industry that the original idea for creating a tool that can remember a sentence translated came from me when I was at Stuttgart working at Trados with the developers, Iko and Jochen, who were just teenagers, but genius programmers. We created the first tool with macros... See more
I do lots of things other users dont. Dvx is faster that DVX2 if you want to make general changes across huge databases, etc.; DVX2 has the best interface (despite you guys, DVx3 has logical issues). I go back so far back in this industry that the original idea for creating a tool that can remember a sentence translated came from me when I was at Stuttgart working at Trados with the developers, Iko and Jochen, who were just teenagers, but genius programmers. We created the first tool with macros that ran in a text editor running on MSDOS V1.1. I left Trados in 1987 to come to the USA. So they actually developed my original idea into a product, and the rest is history.Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Ctrl+T Feb 4, 2016

Why don't you use Ctrl+T shortcut in DVX3? If there are 100% matches I assume you will not want to assemble from portions but insert the 100% match.

hnoronha wrote:
I do lots of things other users dont.

Well, DVX (any version) is a tool after all, and we all have different methods when using this tool.

Dvx is faster that DVX2 if you want to make general changes across huge databases, etc.;

I generally use SQL for it.

DVX2 has the best interface (despite you guys, DVx3 has logical issues).

Despite who? I did not mention anything about the GUI or ribbon, did I? I don't like ribbons generally, except the one in memoQ.

I go back so far back in this industry that the original idea for creating a tool that can remember a sentence translated came from me when I was at Stuttgart working at Trados with the developers, Iko and Jochen, who were just teenagers, but genius programmers. We created the first tool with macros that ran in a text editor running on MSDOS V1.1. I left Trados in 1987 to come to the USA. So they actually developed my original idea into a product, and the rest is history.

Interesting story.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Latest Update to DVX3 causing problems with Cntrl A - Resolved

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »