Machine translation providers, compatibility & QA options
Thread poster: sarahkerkache
sarahkerkache
sarahkerkache
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
Apr 13, 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm not a Déjà Vu user, but am looking for information on the software which I can't seem to find easily. Would you be so kind as to help me out?

What machine translation providers can you use with DV? I have found a press release citing Google, Systran and Microsoft Translator, but it's a few years old and may be out-of-date.

Also, what automated quality checks can you do with the software? I can find numbers, codes (tags?) and repeated c
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm not a Déjà Vu user, but am looking for information on the software which I can't seem to find easily. Would you be so kind as to help me out?

What machine translation providers can you use with DV? I have found a press release citing Google, Systran and Microsoft Translator, but it's a few years old and may be out-of-date.

Also, what automated quality checks can you do with the software? I can find numbers, codes (tags?) and repeated content, but is that it?

Lastly, I've seen posts indicating that you can import .sdlxliff files from Studio, but what is your opinion on the compatibility of the two programs? Are there any particular issues to look out for?

Many thanks in advance for any replies. Best regards,

Sarah
Collapse

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
France
Local time: 16:34
Let me answer your questions... Apr 13, 2015

... and wait for user inputs?

You can link DVX3 to the following MT provider:

• Google Translate
  • Microsoft Translator
  • ITranslate4
  • MyMemory
  • Systran Enterprise server (but one needs to deploy a personal Systran server, so this solution is mostly used by LSP/Institutions)
  • ProMT Translation Server (same comment as Systran)
  • Asia Online Language Studio

• If you want to see what can be achieve
    ... See more
    ... and wait for user inputs?

You can link DVX3 to the following MT provider:

• Google Translate
  • Microsoft Translator
  • ITranslate4
  • MyMemory
  • Systran Enterprise server (but one needs to deploy a personal Systran server, so this solution is mostly used by LSP/Institutions)
  • ProMT Translation Server (same comment as Systran)
  • Asia Online Language Studio

• If you want to see what can be achieved with MT, please watch the following webinar:
    https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/1441788862626349570
    I think that the repairing of the fuzzy matches through MT is one of the most powerful feature available on the CAT-tool market, but that is of course for you to decide.

Also, what automated quality checks can you do with the software? I can find numbers, codes (tags?) and repeated content, but is that it?

Yes... and no!
    By default, the QA module checks for terminology consistency (against the TM, TB and lexicon), numerals and inline tags.
    You can do much more by customizing the QA module to your taste. For example, you can run the QA and check for missing punctuation, double spaces, case inconsistencies, non-translatable strings and so on. All of this is available through the use of SQL statement. The following article will show you some example:
    http://www.atril.com/sites/default/files/docs/presentation/Default_SQL_Filters_for_Quality_assurance_QA.pdf

Lastly, I've seen posts indicating that you can import .sdlxliff files from Studio, but what is your opinion on the compatibility of the two programs? Are there any particular issues to look out for?

Interoperability is at the core of Atril's philosophy. We are quite proud to say that DVX3 is one of the most (if not the most) compatible and open CAT-tool out there. SDLXLIFF files can be imported, translated and exported just like any other files. Users have reported some inconsistencies regarding the handling/interpretreting of soft returns that could jeopardize the export of XML files translated through XLIFF. This has been fixed.
    There are also some rare cases where the SDLXLIFF contains illegal entities (not XML-compliant). If that happens, we'll fix such entities for you. Again, this is rare.

You can also work the other way around, exporting XLIFF from your project and sending them to your colleagues for them to translate/proofread it in their favorite CAT tool.

If you want to read the list of supported formats, please have a look at this grid:
    http://www.atril.com/sites/default/files/docs/presentation/Deja-Vu-X3_Supported-Formats.pdf

You can download a 30-day trial from our website. I would encourage you to do this, if you need to be reassured on the above.

I hope this helps.

ATRIL-Team
    Collapse

Lbenito_atril
    Lbenito_atril
    Local time: 16:34
    Article in Helpdesk Apr 13, 2015

This article from our Knowledge Base may help you.

sarahkerkache
    sarahkerkache
    United Kingdom
    Member (1970)
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks! Apr 13, 2015

Thank you both for your quick replies, this is very helpful.
    Best regards,

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine translation providers, compatibility & QA options

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »