https://www.proz.com/forum/d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_support/28167-trying_out_d%3Fj%3F_vu.html&phpv_redirected=1

Trying out Déjà Vu
Thread poster: Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:26
German to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2005

Déjà Vu X Professional
Version 7.0.273

Now I see why it is called Déjà Vu - the experienced users will have seen it all before.

I am using the Professional trial version. I kept the source file in doc format and now it won't decode when I export it after translation. I presume I should have translated it in rtf format.

It is an actual translation for a customer.
I'd be grateful if someone could confirm that that was what I did wrong
... See more
Déjà Vu X Professional
Version 7.0.273

Now I see why it is called Déjà Vu - the experienced users will have seen it all before.

I am using the Professional trial version. I kept the source file in doc format and now it won't decode when I export it after translation. I presume I should have translated it in rtf format.

It is an actual translation for a customer.
I'd be grateful if someone could confirm that that was what I did wrong - the tutorial uses rtf files.

Some help on the best course of action would also be very welcome.

Robin Salmon
Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:26
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Check for wrong codes Jan 7, 2005

Some help on the best course of action would also be very welcome.

Robin Salmon

The most common reason for export problems is wrong or missing codes. DVX 'hides' Word commands like bold, new paragraph, or inserted graphics in codes, i.e. What a {12}big{13} file. If your translation reads, say, Ist das aber eine {13}große{12} Datei, the wrong code order may lead to an export problem. Select Translation | Check embedded codes and DVX will search for code problems. There's no problem with *.doc files in general.

Terence Ajbro
Terence Ajbro
Sweden
Local time: 23:26
English to German
+ ...
Fix codes in DVX Jan 7, 2005

Try shortcut Sht + Ctrl + F8 to find code errors in the target document. The status line at the bottom of the screen will tell you what is wrong, usually misplaced or incorrect codes. You should then not have any problems exporting the file.

Robin Salmon (X)
Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export successful Jan 7, 2005

Sorry - false alarm!

I momentarily forgot about the exported project being contained in a sub-directory within the directory.

I read back in the tutorial and found it nicely translated after all - I'll check the formatting now.

Comparisons are odious but Déjà Vu seems to be so different in approach from Trados.

Thanks very much for your response, Klaus!

Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:26
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Join the Yahoo group for Deja Vu users Jan 8, 2005

Hi Rob,

Congratulations on your decision to try out Deja Vu - I hope you will like it as much as I do I just wanted to point out to you that there is a Yahoo group for Deja Vu users. There you can ask virtually any question you can imagine and will receive feedback from colleagues almost immediately.

To subscribe to this group, you have to send an email
... See more
Hi Rob,

Congratulations on your decision to try out Deja Vu - I hope you will like it as much as I do I just wanted to point out to you that there is a Yahoo group for Deja Vu users. There you can ask virtually any question you can imagine and will receive feedback from colleagues almost immediately.

To subscribe to this group, you have to send an email to:
[email protected]

It's a very good and helpful community and without them I might never have got the hang of it...

Good luck and happy working!

Olaf
Collapse

Robin Salmon (X)
Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Impression of Déjà Vu Jan 9, 2005

Hi Olaf

Thanks for telling me about that user group.

Déjà Vu has gone down in price, too, it seems. You are forced to trial the Professional Version but the Standard one looks OK, so I might buy it when funds allow. I like the flexibility of Déjà Vu.

Robin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying out Déjà Vu

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »