DVX3 machine translation
Thread poster: Ann Oversteyns (X)
Ann Oversteyns (X)
Ann Oversteyns (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
French to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 17, 2014

I am trying to set up a connection between Déjà-Vu X3 and MyMemory. When going to "File > Options" and next selecting "Machine Translation", all Machine Translation providers are displayed.
When clicking the button "MyMemory Options ..." I am asked to provide a User name and API Key. Can somebody explain me where I can obtain this information?

Many Thanks,
Ann Oversteyns

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Translated... Mar 17, 2014

Ann Oversteyns wrote:

I am trying to set up a connection between Déjà-Vu X3 and MyMemory. When going to "File > Options" and next selecting "Machine Translation", all Machine Translation providers are displayed.
When clicking the button "MyMemory Options ..." I am asked to provide a User name and API Key. Can somebody explain me where I can obtain this information?

Ask the MyMemory creator i.e. http://mymemory.translated.net (I think you must log in and see the details etc.)

BTW:
- this MT provider should work without code up to 100 units per day (AFAIR), so you can leave these fields empty,
- in many cases they just forward the results from Google, so if you have Google MT, MM is almost useless. especially for less frequent language pairs.

Cheers
GG

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Alberto Mar 17, 2014

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
- this MT provider should work without code up to 100 units per day (AFAIR), so you can leave these fields empty,

True, and it can be upgraded to a free account of 1000 requests a day by sending an e-mail to @translated.net with alberto before the AT (apenstaartje). A thousand request should be (more than) enough for mere mortals.
- in many cases they just forward the results from Google, so if you have Google MT, MM is almost useless. especially for less frequent language pairs.

It's the only MT I use, and they claim to use other resources as well. I quite like it, actually.

Cheers,

Hans

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Testing... Mar 17, 2014

Meta Arkadia wrote:

It's the only MT I use, and they claim to use other resources as well. I quite like it, actually.

I must admit, I didn't use MM during some months and it could improve but when I tested it, it was a pure Google, at least in my main language pair (FR-PL)...
I should take a look again...

Cheers
GG

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Still through English? Mar 17, 2014

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
my main language pair (FR-PL)...

That MT (the name of which I prefer not to write down nor to mention) used to provide translations for all language pairs through English. I don't know if that's still the case. No problem for me, possibly for Ann, but if you do FR-PL...

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2014-03-17 14:57 GMT]

Ann Oversteyns (X)
Ann Oversteyns (X)  Identity Verified
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Legal translations Mar 18, 2014

I use MM a lot for legal translations (mainly French- Dutch) and find it very useful, especially because you can see the source and hence judge the reliability.

Thanks for your reactions!

[Bijgewerkt op 2014-03-18 13:44 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Yes and no... Mar 20, 2014

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
my main language pair (FR-PL)...

That MT (the name of which I prefer not to write down nor to mention) used to provide translations for all language pairs through English. I don't know if that's still the case. No problem for me, possibly for Ann, but if you do FR-PL...

It depends, I think.
If some sound parallel data are available (e.g. the EU documents), the translation seems to be made directly but for some trickier translations English words appear.
The same for words with typos.
Some translations, especially the short ones, are clearly using EN as intermediate language, e.g. recently I was almost rolling on the floor, in an automotive job the FR "carrosserie" was translated in a quite regular way as some equivalent of "bodybuilding" (carrosserie translated internally to bodywork and so on...).
I swear, it's impossible to translate like that directly.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2014-03-20 08:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX3 machine translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »