Denmark
Local time: 17:53
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Dec 21, 2013

Hi,

I just bought and installed DVX2.

There is a problem when I try to customize the menus. I want the project menu. I can add toolbars just fine, but when I try to add this menu (or any other that is not the default), it appears when selecting it from the drop-down menu in the dialog box, but as soon as I close the dialog box, the menu returns to default...

I thought I should try to repair the installation, but that can't be done as a file called dejavu.
... See more
Hi,

I just bought and installed DVX2.

There is a problem when I try to customize the menus. I want the project menu. I can add toolbars just fine, but when I try to add this menu (or any other that is not the default), it appears when selecting it from the drop-down menu in the dialog box, but as soon as I close the dialog box, the menu returns to default...

I thought I should try to repair the installation, but that can't be done as a file called dejavu.msi is needed and can't be found anywhere.

Should I just uninstall DVX2 and reinstall it? And if so (sorry for really dumb question!!!) do I have to deactivate the licence before I uninstall or is that not needed? I figured I'll just download the whole setup file again.

Also it's true that in the installation guide it says one should turn off all virus-detection and the screensaver prior to installing, and I'm afraid I didn't know how to do that, so could this be the reason?

Oh, I use Windows 7.

I hope you can help me! Thank you!
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:53
English to Turkish
+ ...
repair Dec 21, 2013

I did not understand what are you doing with the menus, can you add images here.

- normally a repair fixes many problems
- I always keep a copy of the latest installation file on my hard disk
- my anti-virus and firewall are always on although I install new beta builds of DVX3 several times a week

Selcuk

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Web setup? Dec 21, 2013

Christoffersen wrote:

I thought I should try to repair the installation, but that can't be done as a file called dejavu.msi is needed and can't be found anywhere.

You use te web based setup?
Download the full setup file instead and rerun the installation.

For some obscure reasons the web setup sometimes fails or takes ages, I always use the full setup.

Cheers
GG

Anne Maria Christoffersen
Anne Maria Christoffersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which setup would I have? Dec 21, 2013

Hi Grzegorz,

I use a setup file that was included with an email sent to me from Atril when I participated in the group buy. Is this the web based setup? If so, where do I find the full setup? And will I need to deactivate my licence first, before I uninstall the former and then install the full setup?

Thank you!

Selcuk, I will include photos, hold on! Thank you for your help. Yes, I did keep the installation file (setup) but it's looking for a file called d
... See more
Hi Grzegorz,

I use a setup file that was included with an email sent to me from Atril when I participated in the group buy. Is this the web based setup? If so, where do I find the full setup? And will I need to deactivate my licence first, before I uninstall the former and then install the full setup?

Thank you!

Selcuk, I will include photos, hold on! Thank you for your help. Yes, I did keep the installation file (setup) but it's looking for a file called dejavu.msi and for some reason that can't be found...
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
download from Atril's website Dec 21, 2013

You can download latest build 8.0.640 from Atril's website http://www.atril.com/

No need to deactivate your license, just download the file and run the installer again. If you have a previous build, it will be updated, otherwise select repair.

Denmark
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Selcuk, hope this helps Dec 21, 2013

Selcuk, I'm not sure how I post an image. Sorry!! But I'll try to explain.

The Default Menu looks like this : File - View - Users - Tools - Windows - Help

I wanted to expand this to a menu called Project Menu , that would make the menu look like this:
File - Edit - Insert - View - Translation - QA - Project - Lexicon - Users - Tools - Window - Help

I tried to change it from Default Menu to Project menu by entering into: Tools > Customize > (a dialog
... See more

I wanted to expand this to a menu called Project Menu , that would make the menu look like this:
File - Edit - Insert - View - Translation - QA - Project - Lexicon - Users - Tools - Window - Help

I tried to change it from Default Menu to Project menu by entering into: Tools > Customize > (a dialog box opens) > Menus > Application Menus. Here there is a drop-down menu where you can select Project Menu, and in the very instant I select it, it can be seen appearing in DVX2 and so it seems to work, but as soon as I close the dialog box it goes away, and it returns to Default Menu.
Collapse

Denmark
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No need to uninstall either? Dec 21, 2013

Thank you!!!

Would I have to uninstall it first?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Web setup... Dec 21, 2013

Christoffersen wrote:

I use a setup file that was included with an email sent to me from Atril when I participated in the group buy. Is this the web based setup?

If it's a very small file attached to an email, you have the web setup.
The full setup should have approx. 100 MB.

[quote]If so, where do I find the full setup?
http://www.atril.com/en/node/6330
and select either demo or latest version, no matter.
If it fails, send me an email, I'll post the full setup on my FTP for you.

And will I need to deactivate my licence first, before I uninstall the former and then install the full setup?

No need to uninstall nor deactivate.
It will simply update/repair the installation.

Cheers
GG

Denmark
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mine has 98 MB Dec 21, 2013

I think I have the full one, although it was sent to me in an email. It has 98 MB.

I will try anyway, though! I'll let you know.

How can I make the repair function work in the future? Isn't it strange that it can't find the .msi file? Is there something wrong with the Windows Installer maybe? I have other .msi files on the computer though.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
project menu Dec 21, 2013

Do not uninstall, just repair.

But do you really need a repair?

Project menu will be visible when you open a project

Denmark
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, I didn't know! Dec 21, 2013

I was just going to make a lexicon actually! I had no idea it would open by itself!

But is it normal in DVX2 that the other menus (not default) cannot be opened manually (before you start any project or anything else)? Is it supposed to be like that, maybe?

The stupid thing is that if I ever need to repair, I can't as there is no dejavu.msi file to be found... and that is needed for a repair... So if I e
... See more
I was just going to make a lexicon actually! I had no idea it would open by itself!

But is it normal in DVX2 that the other menus (not default) cannot be opened manually (before you start any project or anything else)? Is it supposed to be like that, maybe?

The stupid thing is that if I ever need to repair, I can't as there is no dejavu.msi file to be found... and that is needed for a repair... So if I ever have a problem in the future (and it is more urgent with deadlines looming) I couldn't repair DVX2. So even if the menus are supposed to work this way, I would still like to solve the problem with the missing .msi file.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
No project? Dec 21, 2013

Christoffersen wrote:

I tried to change it from Default Menu to Project menu by entering into: Tools > Customize > (a dialog box opens) > Menus > Application Menus. Here there is a drop-down menu where you can select Project Menu, and in the very instant I select it, it can be seen appearing in DVX2 and so it seems to work, but as soon as I close the dialog box it goes away, and it returns to Default Menu.

I think I understand.
You simply opened DVX2 withut creating a project?
If you create a project, these menu entries will be added automatically.
IMO no need to customize.

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
keep a copy of your installation file Dec 21, 2013

Christoffersen wrote:

The stupid thing is that if I ever need to repair, I can't as there is no dejavu.msi file to be found... and that is needed for a repair... So if I ever have a problem in the future (and it is more urgent with deadlines looming) I couldn't repair DVX2. So even if the menus are supposed to work this way, I would still like to solve the problem with the missing .msi file.

When you need a repair (luckily you will not need it because it is DVX) just run the installation file stored on your hard disk. It is only 100 MB, just store in your D drive and use if needed.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Lexicon Dec 21, 2013

Christoffersen wrote:

Yes. exactly.
It's even logical because you can't start to work without a project.

BTW, in DVX the Lexicon name may be confusing.
It's a kind of termbase associated only with the current project.
It has an absolute priority over the other data sources (termbases, translation memories).
If you want to fed up glossary (which cn be used in several projects), you should create and use a termbase, the shortcut is F11 (with form) or Shift-F11 (without form).

The new project wizard will help you to create translation memories (usually called here TMs or MDBs) and termbases (TBs or TDBs).

Cheers
GG

Denmark
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Dec 21, 2013

Yes, that worked! Opening a new project, I can see the whole Project Menu!!!!!

Good thing you mentioned the Lexicon vs. Termbase - it is indeed a glossary I want to make, to be used in all projects.

I will keep the setup file, in case I ever need to reinstall (repair does not seem to work because of the missing .msi file).

Thank you both so very much for your help!...
See more
Yes, that worked! Opening a new project, I can see the whole Project Menu!!!!!

Good thing you mentioned the Lexicon vs. Termbase - it is indeed a glossary I want to make, to be used in all projects.

I will keep the setup file, in case I ever need to reinstall (repair does not seem to work because of the missing .msi file).

Thank you both so very much for your help!

Have a lovely day!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX2 installed - problems with menus and can't repair as no .msi file found

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »