Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:28
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
White colour scheme Jan 12, 2014

From what I've seen, the one thing I really don't like is the white colour scheme and the lack of alternative, darker ones (I've asked Atril and they said there are no alternative colour schemes).

Given that this is the number one criticism levelled against Office 2013, I'm really surprised that Atril now repeat the same blatant mistake: this all-white scheme is very tiring for your eyes, and it can lead to blurry vision, headaches, even crises of epilepsy. So please, beta testers,
... See more
From what I've seen, the one thing I really don't like is the white colour scheme and the lack of alternative, darker ones (I've asked Atril and they said there are no alternative colour schemes).

Given that this is the number one criticism levelled against Office 2013, I'm really surprised that Atril now repeat the same blatant mistake: this all-white scheme is very tiring for your eyes, and it can lead to blurry vision, headaches, even crises of epilepsy. So please, beta testers, don't forget to insist on a dark colour scheme before release.

For a hint, have a look at the colour scheme of Visual Studio 2013. They have 'flattened' the GUI, but avoided the stark white colour scheme of Office.

[Edited at 2014-01-12 16:07 GMT]
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re Jan 12, 2014

It's Hunspell actually.

Nice.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see memoQ following on with a ribbon one of these days.
Whether the ribbon makes life easier for newbies is debatable, but it does open up new possibilities for developers. At least that's the argument they give for it.

Developers need well documented API and open formats. Or we shall wait Traditional menu for DVX3 app like Start Button for Win8 and Office2003 Menu for Office 7,10,13 app.

VERY NICE. But who will want to pay for this? Developers? ;(
things than devalue users' experience MUST BE COMPLETELY AVOIDED or overcompensated with benefits.

What do You tell if carmakers interchange brake and accelerator pedals in new models and called that «XXI century's invention in carmaking» (as IT-peoples like to do)? I don't think You'll be happy.

In all versions of DV, you can work on the 30 files as if they were one big file (all files view or project view) and switch between a view of one or more files and the project view, or even display several views side by side.
You could also import the 30 files, use Divide and Dispatch to split the project into three parts at any point and export them as three .xlf files which could be imported into another project, or three different projects, and translated there. Is that what you mean?

I want to work with 3 instead of 30 files in DV.
Another one thing - switchable autoupdating of segments in standalone files (even confirmed) after correcting them in «all files» view.

Not sure what you mean there. DVX3's real time preview does show the layout and pictures of the target application (Office documents). And the preview works for the all files view, i.e. your 30 files can be viewed as one big preview, not just one preview for each individual file as in the case of memoQ.

I haven't see preview in DV3 and may be don't understand something.

Please explain the benefit of the preview for blind Indesign files in DV3 with completely illustrated PDF as reference. I will always look into Acroreader and the RMB (right mouse button) function «Find in Ref» (and «Find in Google» (with IE, Chrome etc), «Find in dictionary» (for example in Goldendict) will be MUCH BETTER SOLUTION!

The benefit of preview for WORD is also dubious. An original and a translation usually have different length and translations in 99% cases require layout corrections.

Things realized in new version make me thinking the Atril peoples have bad understanding of translators' needs.

LAST QUESTION - WHEN DVX3 WILL BE RELEASED? (initially mentioned December 2013)
If peoples once again will wait a half of year and get a buggy-as-DVX2 product Atril will lose last adepts of DV.

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
Local time: 00:28
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Copy from source Jan 13, 2014

I would like to see a 2-key copy from source command option in DVX3 like the one Trados has. When the tags get really garbled in the assembled translation, it is very nice to copy the segment and start all over again.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
One key good enough? Jan 13, 2014

Olav Karlsen wrote:
I would like to see a 2-key copy from source command option in DVX3 like the one Trados has. When the tags get really garbled in the assembled translation, it is very nice to copy the segment and start all over again.

You can copy the whole of the target segment with just one key: F5. Is this what you are looking for?
Otherwise, with the cursor on the target side you can press CTRL-Space to clear all codes from the target segment. You can enter the codes by putting the cursor in the right place and pressing CTRL-D.
I assume you know about F8, the QA options and the possibility of using CodeZapper when you import files.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Copying part of the source segment? Jan 13, 2014

Can you please ask the developers to make it possible to copy part of the source segment to the target? I mean what memoQ does with Ctrl+Shift+T—for the time being, I have mimicked this behaviour using a keyboard macro, which makes the following procedure faster:

1. Hit Tab to jump to the source segment

2. Mark the part of the segment to be copied (perhaps a brand-name or a model number, which should not be translated)

3. Hit Ctrl+C... See more
Can you please ask the developers to make it possible to copy part of the source segment to the target? I mean what memoQ does with Ctrl+Shift+T—for the time being, I have mimicked this behaviour using a keyboard macro, which makes the following procedure faster:

2. Mark the part of the segment to be copied (perhaps a brand-name or a model number, which should not be translated)

3. Hit Ctrl+C to copy it

4. Hit Tab to jump to the target segment

5. Hit Ctrl+V to paste

Essentially, this feature will save the user from having to use two keyboard shortcuts (steps 3 and 5) and to jump back to the target side (step 4), which is convenient enough to warrant its implementation. Don't you think?

[Edited at 2014-01-13 12:48 GMT]
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I must be missing something obvious... Jan 13, 2014

I want to work with 3 instead of 30 files in DV.

... because I don't see the advantage of working with three files when you can work on one file in the all files view with one real-time preview.
Perhaps you mean creating a separate view of any 3 files out of the 30? I believe that's in the pipeline.

Another one thing - switchable autoupdating of segments in standalone files (even confirmed) after correcting them in «all files» view.

Agreed, that's long overdue and is also planned, AFAIK.

The benefit of preview for WORD is also dubious. An original and a translation usually have different length and translations in 99% cases require layout corrections.

Well, the preview is only a guide but imagine you had 30 Word files in a project with lots of overlap. I think most translators would find one big preview useful rather than having to keep track of where they are by opening 30 different documents, either in Word, or in memoQ (where the preview only works for individual documents, not for a named view of all the documents, AFAIK).

Things realized in new version make me thinking the Atril peoples have bad understanding of translators' needs.

Hmm, tags have been replaced by inline formatting in Office (other formats to come, I believe), there's a real-time all-files preview for Office files, the Office file import and export speed is now blazingly fast (and largely tag free) and newbees can see all the goodies under the hood through the ribbon. Aren't those some of the things that DV came into criticism for in the past?

LAST QUESTION - WHEN DVX3 WILL BE RELEASED? (initially mentioned December 2013)

I think "end of February" was mentioned in the webinar.

If peoples once again will wait a half of year and get a buggy-as-DVX2 product Atril will lose last adepts of DV.

All software has bugs but I can't say I really had any major issues with DVX2 and am now using the beta DVX3 in production. Its remaining wrinkles are gradually being ironed out with updates every couple of days or so.

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Copy to where? Jan 13, 2014

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

3. Hit Ctrl+C to copy it
5. Hit Ctrl+V to paste

Do you want to do this when the target box is still empty? Or do you want DVX3 to guess where in the target segment the snippet should go?
Alternative strategies for material like proper names could include using the lexicon, enabling "Insert source text for portions not found in databases" and/or marking the source string and dragging it to target (if you press CTRL as you drag, it is not deleted from the source segment).

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Standard Windows command Jan 13, 2014

3. Hit Ctrl+C to copy it

5. Hit Ctrl+V to paste

Essentially, this feature will save the user from having to use two keyboard shortcuts (steps 3 and 5) and to jump back to the target side (step 4), which is convenient enough to warrant its implementation. Don't you think?

[Edited at 2014-01-13 12:48 GMT]

Yes, know this, but implies a lot of mouse clicks if there are a lot of clutter-filled segments to be cleaned up. The F5 option looks more promising.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Copy to target, obviously Jan 13, 2014

I have started writing my translation, but want to copy a proper name from the source segment. It's that simple. The F5 is not good enough in this case nor is the lexicon. And no, I don't want to use the mouse, because it's a waste of time.

[Edited at 2014-01-13 16:49 GMT]

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Depends on the workflow Jan 13, 2014

I have started writing my translation, but want to copy a proper name from the source segment. It's that simple. The F5 is not good enough in this case nor is the lexicon. And no, I don't want to use the mouse, because it's a waste of time.

[Edited at 2014-01-13 16:49 GMT]

Reading between the lines (because you don't explain it anywhere else), I assume that you are working without using the pretranslate or autoassemble functions. In other words, if I have understood you correctly you start from the left and type in your translation. Perhaps you use AutoWrite, or perhaps you use the mouse or keyboard shortcuts to insert items from the AutoSearch window, but otherwise you are mainly typing.

DVX allows us to work in many different ways, and your method is certainly possible. If this is your method, I can see that a function to "insert a highlighted source string at end of the target segment" may be helpful in some circumstances.

Perhaps Atril will be able to implement something like this, but for the sake of completeness it is worth pointing out that its usefulness very much depends on the workflow used - and in my workflow it would probably rarely be useful.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Never mind Jan 13, 2014

It has nothing to do with pretranslation or auto-assembling. It's just a simple three-step procedure. If it is that hard for Atril to implement or so complex for users to grasp, then it should not be implemented. I can just keep using my keyboard macro.

[Edited at 2014-01-13 17:29 GMT]

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It sounds like an excellent, easy to implement suggestion to me ... Jan 13, 2014

It's just a simple three-step procedure

... and would certainly fit in with my workflow.

Deleting text to the end of the segment (and/or punctuation) and toggling the first letter of a word between upper case and lower case would also be high on my list, along with quite a few other things that I currently do with AHK scripts.

Dave

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran: ‘more editing features than the so-called market leaders’ Jan 13, 2014

David Turner wrote:

It's just a simple three-step procedure

... and would certainly fit in with my workflow.

(#1) Deleting text to the end of the segment (and/or punctuation) and (#2) toggling the first letter of a word between upper case and lower case would also be high on my list, along with quite a few other things that I currently do with AHK scripts.

Dave

You can already do all of these things in CafeTran

Michael

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In CafeTran ... you can design your own user interface. Jan 13, 2014

Given that this is the number one criticism levelled against Office 2013, I'm really surprised that Atril now repeat the same blatant mistake: this all-white scheme is very tiring for your eyes, and it can lead to blurry vision, headaches, even crises of epilepsy. So please, beta testers, don't forget to insist on a dark colour scheme before release.

For a hint, have a look at the colour scheme of Visual Studio 2013. They have 'flattened' the GUI, but avoided the stark white colour scheme of Office.

[Edited at 2014-01-12 16:07 GMT]

CafeTran's UI is modular and consists of various windows, which you can dock functions to (these functions can be, e.g.: glossaries, TMs, built in web searches, external databases, desktop search output window, machine translation providers, etc.). There are 3 built in standard Window Layouts, but you can also move any window/function, anywhere. You can also make anything (text, highlighting, UI background) any colour you want. You can even make the entire UI transparent/semi-transparent, or use an image as your background. In short: you can design your own user interface.

Michael

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
WPF Jan 14, 2014

This is exactly what I wanted to suggest, Michael, regarding the GUI. If Atril have used WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) for the new GUI, which I suspect they have, then it is very easy to provide more colour schemes or even allow the user to make it any colour they want.

But I think they will only offer the white GUI, and they will receive a million complaints about how tiring it is, just like was the case with Office 2013. I pointed out this shortcoming in early October (at
... See more
This is exactly what I wanted to suggest, Michael, regarding the GUI. If Atril have used WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) for the new GUI, which I suspect they have, then it is very easy to provide more colour schemes or even allow the user to make it any colour they want.

But I think they will only offer the white GUI, and they will receive a million complaints about how tiring it is, just like was the case with Office 2013. I pointed out this shortcoming in early October (at ProZ's virtual conference) and they said they would consider it. But now, 3 months later, they have done nothing. When they receive one complaint after another, then they will understand, hopefully.

Besides Visual Studio 2013, another application with a flat, 'modern' UI and nice colour schemes is the latest Foxit Reader. Take a clue from them, Atril. It will save much frustration.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sneak preview of Déjà Vu X3!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »