Which versions of Deja vu x2 do I need so 2 computers work concurrently on the same project?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 15:48
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Nov 26, 2013

Dear All,

1. If 2 computers are to connect and use the same TM, while working on the same project, do both of them have to have the Workgroup license installed?
2. Can connection between the two be completed wirelessly?

Kind Regards,

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX is network enabled by default... Nov 26, 2013

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

1. If 2 computers are to connect and use the same TM, while working on the same project, do both of them have to have the Workgroup license installed?

Nope, Pro is enough.
Even the discontinued Standard version did.

2. Can connection between the two be completed wirelessly?

In theory yes but the performance may be poor, especially if you use large TMs.
The amount of data DVX reads from TMs is really too big, especially if all the automation is enabled.
Of course, you can use a remote desktop pointing another wired PC
I used this tactics in some emergency cases when I was out of home.
Unlike Trados, DVX has no remote desktop restrictions.

Of course, you can use DVX server for this purpose (it performs all the searches locally and sends only the results) but it's rather pricy for a very small team.

Cheers
GG

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
What is your setup? Nov 26, 2013

Hi Grzegorz

Thank you for answering this.

What is your setup, the one that you are using and know it gives good results? Or what would be the ideal setup for two computers if Deja vu x2 (or x3) is to be used as the CAT tool?

Kind Regards,

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
French to Polish
+ ...
My setup... Nov 26, 2013

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

What is your setup, the one that you are using and know it gives good results?

We (me and my wife) have rather oldish, approx. 4 years old main PCs i.e.:
- Xeon QuadCore, 12 GB RAM (6 GB for ramdisk), W7;
- Pentium DualCore, 4 GB RAM, XP (it will be upgraded or replaced shortly);
- some notebooks.
Frankly speaking, I don't remember the CPU clock, it's really secondary, the bottleneck is always the disk access speed.

The reference read only big TMs (e.g. DGT) are stored locally (I use ramdisk or SSD, depending of the TM size).
It relieves a lot the server but it needs some synchronization from time to time.

The projects and shared TMs/TBs are stored always over the LAN, we have an old Windows 2003 server but any Windows machine would do the job (a Windows desktop machine can handle up to 5 concurrent connections now, AFAIR).
I insist on Windows machine as server, in the past the MS Jet databases were going rapidly corrupt on Novell Netware or Linux.
I have to admit I didn't retest it during many, many years and I may be wrong now but it's the reason why I would avoid a standard Linux based NAS (nonetheless, I have a Linux based NAS for backups).
The CPU clock is really secondary, e.g. during several years I used also a LaCie Windows XP Embedded based NAS with a 800 MHz CPU (before it crashed).
It had only 256 MB of RAM but a true Windows Server needs far more RAM, I have 4 GB on every machine but 2 GB would be enough for Windows 2003 and very few users like us.
The memory for old servers is cheap

On the servers, we use standard SATA drives (RAID-1).
I have mainly WD Caviar Black or Red (don't use Green, they practically never work well in RAID because of the way the rotational speed is handled internally, they're suitable only for single drive configurations e.g. for backup etc.).
Recently I bought another second hand cheapo Windows server (traditionally, I use Fujitsu-Siemens, it's just a coincidence, not a religion) with SCSI drives (also RAID-1) and I put there some TMs/TBs.
The crucial principle is to distribute the TMs/TBs/projects on several physical discs/RAIDs (as many as possible, we have 3 disks like that).
It's a basic rule for data base performance optimization (e.g see the local read only resources above).
This principle is valid mainly for mechanical HDDs, the SSD drives are completely different.
I plan to shift to SSD some day but I'm too lazy and the current configuration works well enough

Map the network drives as "high" letters kinda M:, O:, Y: or similar, you'll avoid possible conflicts with multiple local and removable drives.
If you are out of home with your notebook, you'll be able to simulate these network drives using subst.
As I'm lazy, some years ago I paid 25 USD for MobileNetSwitch, it's a great small tool for defining and switching network profiles but it can be also done manually.

You should use Gigabit Ethernet LAN cards and switches (important), the LAN speed is also a bottleneck for DVX.
E.g. you may experience some problems with big TMX files import if the files are stored on the LAN but they import as a charm from ramdisk
I use the freeware ramdisk from http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Or what would be the ideal setup for two computers if Deja vu x2 (or x3) is to be used as the CAT tool?

Well, my setup is an overkill.
The only one important thing is you should have a separate server machine, even an old junk, it simplifies a lot the life e.g. if you must restart one machine, the other can still work (important for long operations like pretranslation in the background).
The setup with 2 "servers" is not a bad idea, e.g. you can mirror 'em during the night, if one of them crashes, you can restart to work in a normal way almost immediately.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-11-26 23:44 GMT]

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 29, 2013

Thank you -- that is the most comprehensive piece of advice I have ever got!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which versions of Deja vu x2 do I need so 2 computers work concurrently on the same project?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »