Max Hellwig  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:48
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 17, 2013

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with exported .docx files. Word claims there are no spelling errors in the document even if i type gibberish into it. I have the spell check in the respective language installed and the spell check works fine in the original documents.
I work with DVX2 pro and Office 2010.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Possible solution Jul 17, 2013

This happens to me in Word 2007 sometimes. I solve it by the following steps:
1. Select the whole document (CTRL-A) and set the language to the target language, making sure that the box "do not proof" is empty (i.e. not ticked or blue). Sometimes the red wavy lines for in-line proofreading appear straight away, sometimes they need further persuasion.
2. Go to the start of the document and press F7. Word will check the document and stop at the first spelling issue. If you want to go t
... See more
This happens to me in Word 2007 sometimes. I solve it by the following steps:
1. Select the whole document (CTRL-A) and set the language to the target language, making sure that the box "do not proof" is empty (i.e. not ticked or blue). Sometimes the red wavy lines for in-line proofreading appear straight away, sometimes they need further persuasion.
2. Go to the start of the document and press F7. Word will check the document and stop at the first spelling issue. If you want to go through the document using the spellcheck dialogue (or F7), you have already achieved your goal. If you want the red wavy lines, click on "Options" in the spellcheck dialogue box and make sure that the box "Check spelling during input" is ticked and the box for "Hide spelling errors in this document only" is not ticked. (Screen text may be worded slightly differently, I have back-translated it from my German system).
Collapse

Max Hellwig
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
changes in 2010 Jul 17, 2013

Unfortunately, they changed the interface in 2010 so much that most of the things you suggested don't even exist. But I did select the entire text and changed the language back and forth, did hit the spell check button, but to no avail... All I get is a notification window saying spell check has been completed (Die Grammatik- und Rechtschreibprüfung ist abgeschlossen, I have the German version, too).

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Word Options Jul 17, 2013

In my Word 2007 there is a big round symbol at the top left of the Word window which brings up a list of recent documents and a button labelled in German as "Word-Optionen". Clicking that button brings up a window which has a number of points on the left, including "Dokumentenprüfung" (Check document or similar). Checking through this window may help.

The cause of the problem may lie in the tricks which DVX uses to minimise codes when importing Word files, especially the routine "C
... See more
In my Word 2007 there is a big round symbol at the top left of the Word window which brings up a list of recent documents and a button labelled in German as "Word-Optionen". Clicking that button brings up a window which has a number of points on the left, including "Dokumentenprüfung" (Check document or similar). Checking through this window may help.

The cause of the problem may lie in the tricks which DVX uses to minimise codes when importing Word files, especially the routine "CodeZapper" (which I think is a wonderful utility). I believe that CodeZapper actually disables proofing when it imports files. This is a useful routine when importing to DVX2, but it may be the function that stops you proofreading after export. But it should be easy to fix. In Word 2007, when I click on the name of the document language at the bottom of the Word window, it brings up a dialogue box which shows not only the available languages, but also two check boxes: "Rechtschreibung und Grammatik nicht prüfen" (= No proofing, or similar) and "Sprache automatisch erkennen". It is important to make sure that both of them are unticked for the whole document.
Do you see these check boxes? If not, perhaps you could check what the on-line Help in Word says about proofreading.
Collapse

Max Hellwig
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
figured it out Jul 17, 2013

I found that checkbox disabling the spell check. There's a good chance it was disabled by codezapper, I never even noticed it before. Thanks for your input, I would never have known what to look for!

PS: Isn't it sort of stupid to have a checkbox to NOT do something? Why not just leave out the not and turn the checkbox around?

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Redesigning Microsoft? Jul 18, 2013

About your PS: I suppose there are lots of elements in Microsoft products that could be described as "sort of stupid", for example the way these fiddly little checkboxes seem to be hidden in different places in successive versions of MS Word. But I don't think you or I will be able to influence them, so the best thing is probably just to explore the menues in the program and exchange hints about them (like we have done in this thread).

I don't think it is all that important which wa
... See more
About your PS: I suppose there are lots of elements in Microsoft products that could be described as "sort of stupid", for example the way these fiddly little checkboxes seem to be hidden in different places in successive versions of MS Word. But I don't think you or I will be able to influence them, so the best thing is probably just to explore the menues in the program and exchange hints about them (like we have done in this thread).

I don't think it is all that important which way round this checkbox works - we just need to work out how MS designed the beast and learn to work with that.
Collapse

Max Hellwig
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
absolutely right Jul 18, 2013

It just hits me sometimes and then I wonder why they are so successful. Beast is a nice name for it, btw

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell check in MS Word doesn't work on exported projects

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »