Thread poster: Toby Wakely
Toby Wakely
Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2013

I´m just trying out a trial version of Deja Vu-don´t really understand much about CAT tools, so I´m going through their tutorial in which you have to translate a page of an imaginary printer manual-doesn´t make much sense as the page seems to only be available in English, but as I´m a Spanish to English translator it would be logical to have the page in Spanish? I´ve tried looking for a way of contacting Deja Vu, but all I could find was a list of FAQs from a menu, none of which answer my ... See more
I´m just trying out a trial version of Deja Vu-don´t really understand much about CAT tools, so I´m going through their tutorial in which you have to translate a page of an imaginary printer manual-doesn´t make much sense as the page seems to only be available in English, but as I´m a Spanish to English translator it would be logical to have the page in Spanish? I´ve tried looking for a way of contacting Deja Vu, but all I could find was a list of FAQs from a menu, none of which answer my question. Has anybody else had a similar experience with Deja Vu?Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Have you tried importing a page of your own material? Jun 19, 2013

When I started out, I used a sample source language text from some of my own, already-translated material.

Follow the steps for importing a Word document into DéjàVu, then go ahead and follow the tutorial, using that text instead.

Toby Wakely
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tutorial only corresponds with set text Jun 19, 2013

The problem is the tutorial corresponds specifically with lines in the given texts, so using another text may not make sense either.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

I wonder if somebody has a sample translation hanging around Jun 19, 2013

Hmmm. I see your problem. Maybe another ProZ member has an old translation hanging around from back when they did the practice exercise themselves? Anybody? Also, have you considered contacting Atril? After all, they're headquartered in Spain, so somebody there must be able to produce something in your particular source language.

Toby Wakely
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did the tutorial anyway Jun 20, 2013

Well, I did the tutorial anyway in a rather artificial way pretending the original text was in spanish and I´m ready to give the software a go now on one of my real files-finding a way to contact them is not so easy as when you click on their helpdesk they direct you to FAQs which don´t address the problem. I think though they ought to provide at least an email (and probably a telephone contact number too)when you don´t find what you´re looking for on their menu otherwise what sort of servic... See more
Well, I did the tutorial anyway in a rather artificial way pretending the original text was in spanish and I´m ready to give the software a go now on one of my real files-finding a way to contact them is not so easy as when you click on their helpdesk they direct you to FAQs which don´t address the problem. I think though they ought to provide at least an email (and probably a telephone contact number too)when you don´t find what you´re looking for on their menu otherwise what sort of service are they offering?Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
On the Atril website ... Jun 21, 2013

... click Home/Offices
and you'll see:
ATRIL SPAIN
Calle Cólquide 6
Edificio Prisma
Portal 1, Planta 1
28231 Las Rozas, Madrid

Tel.: +34 911 461 660

as well as other addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses

[Edited at 2013-06-21 08:54 GMT]

julia20ua
julia20ua
Ukraine
Local time: 01:35
working with Deja Vu May 28, 2014

Hello! I'm a student and need help in working with Deja Vu. Never worked with this program before, can anybody explain me in few words how to start?
Many thanks beforehand

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deja vu tutorial

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »