Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:38
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2013

Does anyone know what I can do to fix the problem of display in Deja Vu. Everything was fine but all of a sudden now the Project Explorer window and the AutoSearch/Properties window are overlapping over the target text area. Previously, these windows were on the right hand side of the target text area. What do I need to do to get the program back to normal? It is very inconvenient because I have to decide between having the target text or the other windows. I can't look at both at the same time.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:38
German to English
+ ...
Perhaps no longer docked to the right of the screen Mar 26, 2013

One possibility is that the subsidiary windows have become undocked from the right of the screen. When you drag the windows around with the mouse, you eventually hit a spot where the subsidiary window (e.g. AS) snaps to the right edge of the screen and the main text automatically adjusts its width. As far as I know, finding the spot that triggers the "snap to screen edge" function is a matter of trial and error.

If the window arrangement has got itself well and truly messed up, DVX2
... See more
One possibility is that the subsidiary windows have become undocked from the right of the screen. When you drag the windows around with the mouse, you eventually hit a spot where the subsidiary window (e.g. AS) snaps to the right edge of the screen and the main text automatically adjusts its width. As far as I know, finding the spot that triggers the "snap to screen edge" function is a matter of trial and error.

If the window arrangement has got itself well and truly messed up, DVX2 offers a menu item that can repair it: Window>Reset Window Layout. Perhaps this is worth a try, too.

Have you adjusted the screen resolution, general window sizes etc. recently or switched between monitors in any way? If so, this could make it necessary to adjust windows in some programs. Shouldn't be a lasting problem, but it may need tweaking.

I take it you know the general window layout configurations, and perhaps you have seen my blog post http://language-mystery.blogspot.de/2011/11/dvx2-screenshot-gallery.html
It doesn't deal with the "lost docking focus" problem that you describe, but it may provide one or two other ideas.
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 27, 2013

Thank you Victor, for your detailed answer. I have looked at your site many times and find it to be very helpful. The problem I was having with Deja Vu seems to be corrected now.

In the future I will read your post as a guide. Thanks again Victor.

Sarah

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So frustrated with Deja Vu Mar 29, 2013

Victor,

I had some time now so I read your website about Deja Vu. Your screenshots do not look the way my Deja Vu does.

It's hard to explain but the entire translation window takes up the whole screen so there is no room for the project explorer and properties windows. When I try to drag the translation window over the the left to make room for the other windows, it just drags the whole main Deja Vu window over to the left as well.

I know it seems hard to
... See more
Victor,

I had some time now so I read your website about Deja Vu. Your screenshots do not look the way my Deja Vu does.

It's hard to explain but the entire translation window takes up the whole screen so there is no room for the project explorer and properties windows. When I try to drag the translation window over the the left to make room for the other windows, it just drags the whole main Deja Vu window over to the left as well.

I know it seems hard to explain but I hope you know what I mean. I need to get Deja Vu back to it originally was and I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks,

Sarah
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:38
German to English
+ ...
More ideas Mar 29, 2013

I suppose I should have asked what version of Déjà Vu you are using. My suggestions are based on DVX2, and the current version number is 8.0.620. I would suggest updating to the latest version as the first step in correcting any problems. If you are still on what is now often known as DVX1 (I think the final build was 338), some of my suggestions will not apply, including some of the features shown in my blog post, although you should still be able to drag the individual panes around within th... See more
I suppose I should have asked what version of Déjà Vu you are using. My suggestions are based on DVX2, and the current version number is 8.0.620. I would suggest updating to the latest version as the first step in correcting any problems. If you are still on what is now often known as DVX1 (I think the final build was 338), some of my suggestions will not apply, including some of the features shown in my blog post, although you should still be able to drag the individual panes around within the DVX window.

When you drag individual panes around in the DVX1 or DVX2 window, this only makes a difference to the secondary panes. As you have noticed, you can't drag the main translation grid around, although the changes you make to the secondary panes should affect the width of the main grid. You don't need to adjust the main grid to make space for the other windows - once the other windows are added and docked into place, the main grid automatically adjusts its size.

I would suggest that you start with the window "AutoSearch Portions" (and hide the Project Explorer and Properties windows for the time being). Once the AS window is correctly shown and docked to the right of the screen, the others will automatically dock above and below it when they are activated.

If the AS window is not visible, you can activate it using the little icons at the bottom of the screen (in DVX2) or via the menu "View". When you do, it will either be docked to the right edge of the screen, or free floating somewhere in the DVX window. Try grabbing the top bar of the AS window and dragging it to the right edge of the screen. Keep dragging to the right with the mouse until the window snaps into place. At this point, the main sentence grid should automatically adjust its width so that you can see the full text on both sides.

If this process has worked properly, if you like you can then open Project Explorer and Properties from the View menu just to see what happens. However, when I open any project in DVX2, these windows are automatically placed in the right hand column above and below AutoSearch, and I have to click on the drawing pin icons to close them until they are needed.
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Victor! Mar 31, 2013

Thanks for your response Victor. I have managed to solve this problem.

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with display area in Deja Vu

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »