Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:01
German to English
+ ...
Handling recycled projects Feb 13, 2013

The simple guideline for recycling projects is:
Don't delete files from inside the projects.
I have a number of clients who send me small jobs from time to time, and for these clients I have ongoing projects to which I add the files.

To avoid the risk of a long unstructured list of files, in Windows I always place such source files in a folder which I name to reflect the time when the file arrives (currently Q1.13, i.e. the first quarter of 2013). I then import the fol
... See more
The simple guideline for recycling projects is:
Don't delete files from inside the projects.
I have a number of clients who send me small jobs from time to time, and for these clients I have ongoing projects to which I add the files.

To avoid the risk of a long unstructured list of files, in Windows I always place such source files in a folder which I name to reflect the time when the file arrives (currently Q1.13, i.e. the first quarter of 2013). I then import the folder Q1.13 and the files in the folder into my DVX2 project. When I am in DVX2, I can then quickly see in the Project Explorer which files are current and which are old.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Handling recycled projects Feb 13, 2013

Hi Victor, thanks for coming back to this topic. I think I get your point. And from time to time you create a new project with the same settings, I assume, before your current project becomes too big and unstructured? Maybe that would be an approach I could live with instead of always creating a project for every single job. Thanks so far for your suggestion!

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Never delete files from projects Feb 13, 2013

Matthias Brombach wrote:
But do you think that my problem will be solved ... when I always apply the repair function ... before I delete those files?

No. The only practical difference the repair function makes is reducing project size. The underlying problem of reassigned file IDs (and the ensuing eradication of earlier TM entries) remains.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Unticking Delete all pairs previously sent from this project is not enough Feb 13, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
In short, if you recycle projects, be sure NOT to "Delete all pairs previously sent from this project."

Even if that option is unticked, translations will disappear from the TM as they are replaced by translations of files that have the same project ID and file ID.

So the final conclusion is: If you want to keep a file in the TM, do not delete it from the project (or if you have deleted it, do not import and process further files in that project. Otherwise data loss is inevitable.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was clear Feb 13, 2013

....thanks, Endre, that was clear and I hope somebody else will learn this lesson as well.
By the way: Does anybody know whether at least memoQ allows my approach? Next time, when there is less work, I will test that CAT tool and compare.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Bingo Feb 13, 2013

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Hi Victor, thanks for coming back to this topic. I think I get your point. And from time to time you create a new project with the same settings, I assume, before your current project becomes too big and unstructured?

Exactly!

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Project templates... project naming conventions... Feb 13, 2013

Matthias Brombach wrote:

....thanks, Endre, that was clear and I hope somebody else will learn this lesson as well.
By the way: Does anybody know whether at least memoQ allows my approach?

Yes.
As memoQ doesn't handle project templates (see below...), it's the only way to maintain easily "returning" jobs but the TM maintenance may be harder.

Next time, when there is less work, I will test that CAT tool and compare.

BTW, why you don't use project templates in DVX2?
Go the the menu, select Project, Properties, in the Project Properties window, click Templates (bottom, on the left), then click Save in the Project Templates windows (honestly speaking, the Save button name could have a better name...).
Then start a new project using File, New, Project from Template.

PS
I never delete files from reused projects, I simply put the new files in different subfolders, it's a sound tactics for small jobs.
Normally I create rather a new project for every job 'cause the project name displayed in the Autosearch pane is meaningful i.e. I put always a sound name, the date and the language pair.
E.g. when I see something like BTP_Geant_20060419_fr-pl, I know:
- the subject was building/construction (BTP is Bâtiment et Travaux Publics in FR)
- the (final) client was Géant i.e. it was a supermarket construction project,
- the date (obvious),
- fr-pl indicates the source is French, i.e. when from some reason I must translate into French, I know it's probably better then a solution from any pl-fr project I did (the French is not my native tongue).
It's somehow redundant (I use also the Client, Subject fields...) but it I have all the info in one place..

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-02-13 09:59 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Templates Feb 21, 2013

Hi Gregorz,

seems to be a good approach. It´s just a pity that you cannot use templates in satellite files I often receive.

Best,

Matthias

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One of my DV X2 TM´s suffers amnesia...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »