Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:27
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jan 18, 2013

Dear colleagues,
since I use DVX2 I am succesfully using the tool to translate sdlxliff files. But now one of my current sdlxliff-files cannot be imported at all, DVX2 crashes and displays the following message:
XLIFFFilterToProtect
DetectLanguages
Ungültiges xml-Zeichen (invalid xml character)

I tried to create a new xliff with Studio by the attached Word source file, but the result is the same. In Studio no problem at all with that file.
... See more
Dear colleagues,
since I use DVX2 I am succesfully using the tool to translate sdlxliff files. But now one of my current sdlxliff-files cannot be imported at all, DVX2 crashes and displays the following message:
XLIFFFilterToProtect
DetectLanguages

I tried to create a new xliff with Studio by the attached Word source file, but the result is the same. In Studio no problem at all with that file. In Word I can see that the affected file contains normally hidden strange hyper links behind the headlines (I don´t know how to call them), maybe they result collapsing DV? Or is there any setting within DV I have to take care of?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Matthias

I forgot to mention: The source is a simple *.doc file, not a *.docx

[Bearbeitet am 2013-01-18 09:35 GMT]
Collapse

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Swordfish 3 - Xliff checker Jan 18, 2013

Dear Matthias,

For eliminating bad .xml characters I would recommend you Xliff checker, part of the Swordfish 3 software bundle. You can download the demo version of the package here:

http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/

You can use the additional modules without license.

If you import/export tmx databases regularly and experience problems with n
... See more
Dear Matthias,

For eliminating bad .xml characters I would recommend you Xliff checker, part of the Swordfish 3 software bundle. You can download the demo version of the package here:

If you import/export tmx databases regularly and experience problems with non-standard characters, you may want to take a look at TMX Validator, another part of SW3 bundle.

Although Swordfish 3 is definitely NOT the best CAT tool on the market, these additional modules are really life-savers for CAT-hopping.

Best regards,

Gyula

[Módosítva: 2013-01-18 09:52 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Well known Studio bug... Jan 18, 2013

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Dear colleagues,
XLIFFFilterToProtect
DetectLanguages

I tried to create a new xliff with Studio by the attached Word source file, but the result is the same. In Studio no problem at all with that file. (...)

I forgot to mention: The source is a simple *.doc file, not a *.docx

It's a well known problem with legacy Office files.
Studio inserts invalid characters in the XML file, usually they look as ,  or similar.
Use a decent text editor like Notepad++, delete these chars ant try to reimport in DVX.

PS
I think it's a pity can't correct itself these stupid errors of SDL programmers.
BTW, Studio doesn't insert these chars for docx files.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-01-18 09:52 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
XLIFF/XML checker... Jan 18, 2013

Gyula Erdész wrote:

Seconded.
You can also use some standard XML verifier.

Cheers
GG

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestions, Jan 18, 2013

Gyula and Grzegorz,

I will keep Swordfish in mind (Gyula) and I think I know what you mean (Grzegorz) with corrupt xml codes. I also tried to save the source as *.docx, but it didn´t help. I will have to apply my manual methode when the client insists on delivery as sdlxliff file. But if any other comes with another idea, it would be very appreciated.

Best regards and looking forward to weekend,

Matthias

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Copy source to target? Jan 19, 2013

Matthias Brombach wrote:

I will keep Swordfish in mind (Gyula) and I think I know what you mean (Grzegorz) with corrupt xml codes. I also tried to save the source as *.docx, but it didn´t help. I will have to apply my manual methode when the client insists on delivery as sdlxliff file. But if any other comes with another idea, it would be very appreciated.

I never experienced it but I read somewhere DVX may have problem with some SDLXLIFF files without populated target content.
Try to select all the empty segments (you can use the Display Filter toolbar to make easier the selection), then copy source to targer) and hit Ctrl+Ins.
You can also pretranslate the file in Studio, select Copy source to target in the wizard.
The second path will be faster, I'suppose.

Cheers
GG

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Weird enough, Jan 19, 2013

dear Grzegorz, but DV crashes also when generating a brand new sdlxliff from the relevant Word file in Studio, so there must be something inside the Word doc which doesn´t disturb inside Studio, but in DV, when importing the converted sdlxliff.
Importing the Word source into DV works like a charme.
Nevertheless, the project is finished now and I could deliver the target files and the *.tmx, but most of the agencies I deal with are very strict with their believe in Studio and we al
... See more
dear Grzegorz, but DV crashes also when generating a brand new sdlxliff from the relevant Word file in Studio, so there must be something inside the Word doc which doesn´t disturb inside Studio, but in DV, when importing the converted sdlxliff.
Importing the Word source into DV works like a charme.
Nevertheless, the project is finished now and I could deliver the target files and the *.tmx, but most of the agencies I deal with are very strict with their believe in Studio and we all know that believing is not knowing, so they expect it in that way they are used to like horses having blinders on...
Collapse

TNT TRANSLATION
TNT TRANSLATION  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:27
English to Korean
How do you read a sdlxliff file in dvx2? Sep 5, 2013

Hi all,

I am having trouble to read the sdlxliff file using DVX2 (trial version), which I am not familiar with. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2013-09-05 05:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing of a certain sdlxliff-file fails

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »