Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
TGB vs. Atril's own offer
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:34
Finnish to French
Sep 26, 2012

FWIW, there are two ways to purchase a Déjà Vu X2 Professional license on the cheap right now:
  • via a Translator group buying (TGB) for 295 euros
  • via Atril's own web store using a coupon (OFFER3) for 250 euros

The higher TGB price includes 12 months worth of ProZ membership and 3 hours worth of online training (provided via ProZ).

They also... See more
  • FWIW, there are two ways to purchase a Déjà Vu X2 Professional license on the cheap right now:
  • via a Translator group buying (TGB) for 295 euros
  • via Atril's own web store using a coupon (OFFER3) for 250 euros

The higher TGB price includes 12 months worth of ProZ membership and 3 hours worth of online training (provided via ProZ).

They also have other deals, like a Workgroup license for the list price of the Professional license (590 euros):

Although the offer was initially valid until 22-Sep-2012, it was extended until tomorrow (27-Sep-2012). ▲ Collapse

•  
    Chunyi Chen
    Chunyi Chen
    United States
    Local time: 12:34
    English to Chinese
    Is it another nice tool to have? Sep 27, 2012

Dominique,

I think the offer on Proz group buy is 275 euros, not 295.
    I am actually thinking about adding another CAT tool to my collection, and DVX is one candidate. However, I have heard that with DVX there are more tags to work with. Is it true? Also, does DVX also provide filter capability like MemoQ does?
    I am a happy user of MemoQ, but I found it fun to CAT hop just to add more variety without sticking to one interface all day (and all week) long:)
    Deepmin
    ... See more
    Dominique,

I am actually thinking about adding another CAT tool to my collection, and DVX is one candidate. However, I have heard that with DVX there are more tags to work with. Is it true? Also, does DVX also provide filter capability like MemoQ does?
    I am a happy user of MemoQ, but I found it fun to CAT hop just to add more variety without sticking to one interface all day (and all week) long:)
    Deepmining sounds really appealing, too. I wonder if it actually does a better job than MemoQ. MemoQ already does a very good job in retrieving these subsegments.

Chun-yi

[Edited at 2012-09-27 19:26 GMT]
    Collapse

Dominique Pivard
    Finnish to French
    TOPIC STARTER
    DV for CAT hopping Sep 27, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

I definitely see 295 euros:

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
    I am actually thinking about adding another CAT tool to my collection, and DVX is one candidate. However, I have heard that with DVX there are more tags to work with. Is it true?

Yes, unlike memoQ, which is WYSIWYG for bold, italic and underline, DV uses tags for everything.
    Chun-yi Chen wrote:
    Also, does DVX also provide filter capability like MemoQ does?

Yes, DV is quite similar to memoQ in for things like filtering, sorting, locking, views etc. Or DV fans will say the other way round, since they consider memoQ a lowly copycat
    Views are more versatile in DV.
    Chun-yi Chen wrote:

You should perhaps download the trial version first. It's fully functional for 30 days. There has been so many offers offers at 250 euros this year that it's pretty certain they will have a couple more before the end of the year.
    Chun-yi Chen wrote:
    Deepmining sounds really appealing, too. I wonder if it actually does a better job than MemoQ. MemoQ already does a very good job in retrieving these subsegments.

I can't say about this, you would have to try for yourself.

LEXpert
    LEXpert  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 14:34
    Member (2008)
    Croatian to English
    + ...
    Proz membership ship with DV TGB? Sep 27, 2012

Dominique,
    Where did you see the part of the about the Proz membership? I only see the training.

Chunyi Chen
    Chunyi Chen
    United States
    English to Chinese
    We must be looking at different links Sep 27, 2012

Dominique,

I think I saw what Rudolf saw:

http://www.proz.com/tgb/661

No Proz memebership, but with training--and the price I saw is $275 euros.

I will not join in the group buy, but may take the advantage of the offer through the Atril website later in the year. I will need to try it out first. From what you said about the formatting done through tags in
    ... See more
    Dominique,

I will not join in the group buy, but may take the advantage of the offer through the Atril website later in the year. I will need to try it out first. From what you said about the formatting done through tags in DVX, it's a minus for me. I downloaded it and its interface actually looks nice. I just need to try out the deep mining feature and see if it's good enough to spend another $350 on another new tool.

Thanks so much for all the information.

Chun-yi
    Collapse

Chunyi Chen
    Chunyi Chen
    United States
    English to Chinese
    The price difference may be that we live in different zones Sep 27, 2012

On second thought, I think the price difference may come from the fact that we are in different continents.
    What I see on my end is 275 euros. I guess they charge you more in Europe than in the US?

Dominique Pivard
    Finnish to French
    TOPIC STARTER
    Content varies according to location? Sep 27, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

Really strange that the same link can have a different content in different countries!

Here is what I see:

Chunyi Chen
    Chunyi Chen
    United States
    English to Chinese
    It appears that way Sep 27, 2012

Dominique,

It appears that we indeed see different offers:) Yours is probably the "best value" package, although I only need the DVX without any add-ons. That's why I said I would get it through their website offers if I do decide to buy.

Chun-yi

Chunyi Chen
    Chunyi Chen
    United States
    English to Chinese
    It could also be memship status difference rather than location Sep 27, 2012

I think this is the more possible explanation, on third thought:)

Chun-yi

Dominique Pivard
    Finnish to French
    TOPIC STARTER
    Different links for members and non-members Sep 27, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
    I think this is the more possible explanation, on third thought:)

Indeed, Rudolf and you are members, while I'm not (and will never be). OTOH, here is what the TGB link says:

This means you could get your membership extended for much cheaper than the normal price.

Chunyi Chen
    Chunyi Chen
    United States
    English to Chinese
    I am not renewing my membership... Sep 27, 2012

so I am going to get a lean package that only has DVX and nothing else.

What I want to know at this point is whether there are other benefits feature-wise DVX offers that MemoQ doesn't. After all, it's another $350 to spend. I could get a new Win 7 computer with one or two hundred dollars more for that price now that Win 8 is out.

Chun-yi

Kevin Fulton
    Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 15:34
    German to English
    DVX has slight advantage over MemoQ Sep 28, 2012

What I want to know at this point is whether there are other benefits feature-wise DVX offers that MemoQ doesn't.

My most recent experience indicates that DVX does a better job of working with pdf files created from MS Office files than MemoQ. The resulting translated document requires less massaging than the output of MemoQ. I've also found that DVX filtering works better (for me) than in MemoQ. Of course, this is based upon my experience; others may have a different opinion. Deja Vu was my first CAT tool (1997), and until MemoQ came out, was my tool of choice. In my opinion, MemoQ and DVX2 are much easier to handle that SDL products, with respect to both TM and term base management.

It's all a matter of choosing the appropriate tool for the task.

Dominique Pivard
    Finnish to French
    TOPIC STARTER
    PDF, filtering – DV vs. memoQ Sep 28, 2012

Kevin Fulton wrote:
    My most recent experience indicates that DVX does a better job of working with pdf files created from MS Office files than MemoQ. The resulting translated document requires less massaging than the output of MemoQ.

The PDF filter in memoQ is a basic free one that only exports files as plain text, while the one in DV (introduced in Spring 2012) relies on a professional converter licensed from BCL Technologies. Incidentally, that converter is the same used in Wordfast Pro and Wordfast Anywhere, so Chun-yi could use either to obtain a Word document (RTF) that she could translate in memoQ. I believe the results would be more or less the same as when using the built-in converter in DVX2. Wordfast Anywhere would be the most convenient solution, since it's browser-based (= nothing to install).
    Kevin Fulton wrote:
    I've also found that DVX filtering works better (for me) than in MemoQ. Of course, this is based upon my experience; others may have a different opinion.

What kind of filtering works better in DV, if I may ask? Are there specific items you can filter in DV, but not in memoQ? Or do you refer to SQL (I believe SQL be used to filters things in DV)?

Chunyi Chen
    Chunyi Chen
    United States
    English to Chinese
    Very useful information Sep 28, 2012

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for the useful information. I am going to try DVX on my next project and see how things go. I am really not a tag fan (who is?), so hopefully the tag will not be a big minus that kills my interest.

If I may ask the other way: are there things MemoQ has that DVX doesn't, such as exporting the translation in the bilingual format for external editing and reimporting the edited rtf file back to update the TM? This is an important feature for
    ... See more
    Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for the useful information. I am going to try DVX on my next project and see how things go. I am really not a tag fan (who is?), so hopefully the tag will not be a big minus that kills my interest.

If I may ask the other way: are there things MemoQ has that DVX doesn't, such as exporting the translation in the bilingual format for external editing and reimporting the edited rtf file back to update the TM? This is an important feature for me, and hopefully DVX has something similar.

One final comment on working with PDF file in the CAT tool: I have ABBYY Finereader for converting a PDF file to an editable format, so I don't really care how well a CAT tool handles a PDF file.

Chun-yi

Kevin Fulton wrote:

My most recent experience indicates that DVX does a better job of working with pdf files created from MS Office files than MemoQ. The resulting translated document requires less massaging than the output of MemoQ. I've also found that DVX filtering works better (for me) than in MemoQ. Of course, this is based upon my experience; others may have a different opinion. Deja Vu was my first CAT tool (1997), and until MemoQ came out, was my tool of choice. In my opinion, MemoQ and DVX2 are much easier to handle that SDL products, with respect to both TM and term base management.

It's all a matter of choosing the appropriate tool for the task.
    Collapse

Dominique Pivard
    Finnish to French
    TOPIC STARTER
    External view Sep 28, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
    If I may ask the other way: are there things MemoQ has that DVX doesn't, such as exporting the translation in the bilingual format for external editing and reimporting the edited rtf file back to update the TM? This is an important feature for me, and hopefully DVX has something similar.

Yes, Déjà Vu has had that function for a very long time, they call it "external view". I covered it in a recent video comparing that feature:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/09/03/export-to-bilingual-word-table-from-mainstream-cat-tools/

Please note that if your document contains bold, italic and underline, these will appear with grey little tags in the external view exported from DV, not in a WYSIWYG format as in the two-column RTF exported from memoQ.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TGB vs. Atril's own offer

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »