Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:46
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
importing files in RTF format Mar 11, 2013

Hi Gyula,

yes, exporting rtf files belongs to my regular workflow, but I wonder how exactly I have to re-import a corrected rtf: I only get one column with in turn mixed bilingual content, but not in two columns to feed the TM. Even the manual doesn´t explain how it works.

Best regards,

Matthias

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
Rich Text Format Mar 11, 2013

Hi Matthias,

External View in Rich Text Format generates a file with 6 columns (ID, Source, Target, Comments, Status, Filename). Please check your settings under "Miscellaneous".

Selcuk

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
External view... Mar 11, 2013

...is the key, thank you, Selcuk!
I always tried to re-import via the project explorer, not via File > Import > External view (the proper way). It will save me some work in the future. Again, thanks and best regards to Turkey!
Matthias

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Export to XLIFF Mar 12, 2013

Gyula Erdész wrote:
*Yes, it is simply nonsense that you need the Workgroup version to export to XLIFF.

I fully agree with that. Making exporting to XLIFF a premium feature not available in the Professional version would be like making importing from / exporting to TMX a premium feature (in other words, shooting oneself in the foot). XLIFF support has nothing to do with workgroups, as your workflow clearly shows. Maybe it could be considered a premium feature (like context matching) five years ago, but the competitive situation on the market today (both memoQ translator pro and Studio Freelance support XLIFF out of the box) should cause it to be included in the Professional version (like they did with context matching, btw).

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Updates slowing down... Jun 25, 2013

My personal feeling is that the implementation of new features has slowed down in recent months. Many of the top wishes in this thread are still not implemented by Atril and, unfortunately, it seems that their agenda is different from ours.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX3 Jul 2, 2013

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

My personal feeling is that the implementation of new features has slowed down in recent months. Many of the top wishes in this thread are still not implemented by Atril and, unfortunately, it seems that their agenda is different from ours.

Few weeks ago, on dejavu-l group, an info leaked that DVX3 release is planned for this autumn.
So, frankly speaking, I doubt many new crucial features will be added to DVX2 before this date, I expect rather some bug fixing, minor changes/features etc. 'cause all the bells and whistles will be included in DVX3.

Nonetheless, I suppose you missed e.g. the long awaited TXML (Wordfast Pro) and Transit filters added in the last builds, so at least some wishes were heard

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-07-02 11:01 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:46
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
DVX3 Jul 2, 2013

That's definitely an interesting bit of info Grzegorz. I will be very curious to see what it looks like and how it compares to memoQ 2013 and CafeTran!

Michael

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Abysmal Sales Jul 2, 2013

At the last group buy at www.proz.com here

http://www.proz.com/?sp=store&sp_mode=tgb

SDL sold 265 licenses for Trados 2011, Kilgray sold 128 licenses for MemoQ v6, and Atril sold... 3 licenses for Deja vu x2.

That about sums it up.

I use Deja vu x2 every time I get
... See more

SDL sold 265 licenses for Trados 2011, Kilgray sold 128 licenses for MemoQ v6, and Atril sold... 3 licenses for Deja vu x2.

That about sums it up.

I use Deja vu x2 every time I get a chance, because I like its simplicity and ingenuity (although it still lacks on the fly spell checking and several other key functions I really need, as described above), but at the end of the day if they cannot generate enough purchases I am not sure where this is all going, new version or not.

So I am adding this to the wishlist: improve your sale strategy and boost numbers. Otherwise...
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 12:46
English to Chinese
That particular GB was bundled with ProZ membership Jul 2, 2013

and ended up more expensive than Studio or MemoQ.

So this comparison is not fair to DVX.

Chun-yi

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

That about sums it up.

I use Deja vu x2 every time I get a chance, because I like its simplicity and ingenuity (although it still lacks on the fly spell checking and several other key functions I really need, as described above), but at the end of the day if they cannot generate enough purchases I am not sure where this is all going, new version or not.

So I am adding this to the wishlist: improve your sale strategy and boost numbers. Otherwise...

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Proz is only a translation portal Jul 2, 2013

There are many other similar websites where you can buy CAT tools. There are also direct sales through Atril's website. So it is definitely much more than 3 licenses

This is Atril's 20th anniversary in the market, it is clear that they sell licenses to both translators and large agencies.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Below the hood... Jul 3, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

There are many other similar websites where you can buy CAT tools. There are also direct sales through Atril's website. So it is definitely much more than 3 licenses

This is Atril's 20th anniversary in the market, it is clear that they sell licenses to both translators and large agencies.

Yep.
Recently one of my old customers switched to DVX.
I.e. we had some hiatus 'cause this agency works mainly in EN-PL pair I tend to avoid and, hop, they contacted me for a CAT hopping consulting job in a tricky Studio-DVX-Studio project.
Initially, I was somehow surprised but I realized it was logical 'cause in the past this agency worked a lot with Idiom, so the DVX choice was quite natural, as they clearly refused the Studio way.
It's funny 'cause in when I started to work for them in almost 10 years ago, they were mostly a Trados company and they were almost on the verge of a nervous breakdown when I declared I was working in DVX

An agency like that means not only the server and licenses for PMs and inhouse translators but also floating licenses for external translators and some "hidden" publicity for DVX, including possible informal groups buys.

I know also another company like that.
I.e. the image is more complex.
I don't say it's a big revolution but I see some emerging trend.
As SDL is de facto killing Idiom, DVX seems a safe harbour...

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
SDL should kill Idiom Jul 3, 2013

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Cheers
GG

Funnily enough, my best client started using World Server. Funny because this is their first CAT tool. Funny because they don't let downloading translation packages but ask us to use the buggy online version even for large jobs. Funny because SDL stopped developing the desktop version. My client does not allow downloading packages for confidentiality but I can download files as Excel files, download the complete TM and TB. Confidentiality??

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Idiom Desktop vs online... Jul 3, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Funnily enough, my best client started using World Server. Funny because this is their first CAT tool. Funny because they don't let downloading translation packages but ask us to use the buggy online version even for large jobs. Funny because SDL stopped developing the desktop version.

It's exactly the reason why my customer switched to DVX...
IMO, at this stage the "old" Idiom is already dead and, I fully agree, its remains should be buried ASAP as they really stink...

My client does not allow downloading packages for confidentiality but I can download files as Excel files, download the complete TM and TB. Confidentiality??

Indeed, funny...

Cheers
GG

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
After the DVX 3 Sneak Preview Jan 9, 2014

Hi Guys!

I attended the DVX3 Sneak Preview today, and I must say that most of the things I have listed in this thread have been implemented!

More specifically the following features (requested above) will be coded into DVX 3:

– Formatting will be out of the picture
– Non-printing characters can be visualized
– Real time spell checking (and, yes, Microsoft Word spell checker as well...
See more
Hi Guys!

I attended the DVX3 Sneak Preview today, and I must say that most of the things I have listed in this thread have been implemented!

More specifically the following features (requested above) will be coded into DVX 3:

– Formatting will be out of the picture
– Non-printing characters can be visualized
– Real time spell checking (and, yes, Microsoft Word spell checker as well
– Three levels of segment finishing: translated, reviewed, approved
– Some form of autopropagation to confirmed segments (forced propagation to lower-level marked segments only, alas)
– I have been promised – that the option to introduce source segment marking of recognized terms will be seriously looked into

This is all good news. The bad news is the price. The price for an upgrade from DVX 2 Pro will be more than 200 EUR, and the price for an upgrade from DVX 2 Workgroup will be more than 500 EUR!

However, Atril have had a long history or starting high and finishing low when it comes to prices, so I hope that six months from now prices will be much more reasonable!

Kind Regards,
PTs
Collapse

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
DVX2 improvement suggestions addendum Jan 20, 2014

I have noted some "holes" in Trados files when exporting a finished Project back to Trados after completion:
1. Text after a full stop in (e.g. the middle of) some segments isn't there
2. If you by accident should change anything in the source text (yes, it isn't write-protected), the file is corrupted.
3. Segments in which you have entered and confirmed the translation doesn't appear as confirmed in Trados.
All this means extra work in Trados to fill the holes to make th
... See more
I have noted some "holes" in Trados files when exporting a finished Project back to Trados after completion:
1. Text after a full stop in (e.g. the middle of) some segments isn't there
2. If you by accident should change anything in the source text (yes, it isn't write-protected), the file is corrupted.
3. Segments in which you have entered and confirmed the translation doesn't appear as confirmed in Trados.
All this means extra work in Trados to fill the holes to make the files to be of any use to the Trados-based Client.

This was my workaround to find the errors and produce nice Trados files:
1. The whole project is sent to the TM.
2. No need to export the translated files, the TM is exported to the TMX format.
3. The TMX file is imported into the Trados TM.
4. All segments in all files are checked in Trados.
i have observed something else that I would like to see improved in DVX3:
In Trados the MS Office spellchecker in my language operates splendidly and in real time. In DVx2 you may get a warning as you are about to leave the segment. I would expect nothing less than Trados quality in this respect.
The QA analysis is more user-friendly in Trados.
In Trados the source text is locked to prevent errors.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DJV X2 areas to improve (wishlist)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »