Irene Acler
Irene Acler  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:31
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Jul 9, 2012

Hello everybody.

I have a number of pdf files to translate. I imported them into DVX2 applying the pdf filter, but it doesn't work, I don't see any segments in the main page of the program.

I tried to convert the pdf into a word document, but the result is a word doc in which the written text takes the form of images. In this way, DVX2 doesn't read the word document, either.

Do you know how I could fix this problem?

Thank you very much in advan
... See more
Hello everybody.

I have a number of pdf files to translate. I imported them into DVX2 applying the pdf filter, but it doesn't work, I don't see any segments in the main page of the program.

I tried to convert the pdf into a word document, but the result is a word doc in which the written text takes the form of images. In this way, DVX2 doesn't read the word document, either.

Do you know how I could fix this problem?

Thank you very much in advance,

Irene
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
true pdf? Jul 9, 2012

Hi Irene,

I guess those files are image files converted to pdf, they are not true pdf files with text.
In that case you should use an OCR program, e.g. ABBYY FineReader.

I can try to convert them for you

Selcuk

Irene Acler
Irene Acler  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not true pdf Jul 10, 2012

Hello Selcuk,

Wrll, no, they aren't true pdf
I tried using Soft OCR, but it doesn't work properly, the layout is not maintained.
Do you think that Abby Fine Reader works better in terms of layout?

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Manual layout adjusting... Jul 10, 2012

Irene Acler wrote:

Wrll, no, they aren't true pdf
I tried using Soft OCR, but it doesn't work properly, the layout is not maintained.
Do you think that Abby Fine Reader works better in terms of layout?

The advantage of Abbyy FR is one can adjust the layout manually.
In fact, every trickier file needs manual adjusting.
If the file is heavily formatted, sometimes it's simply better to recreate the layout manually, the OCR output is often unusable (e.g. a slight length difference between the source and the target of a poorly formatted text may screw up totally the layout).
It's no good universal solution.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import a word document with images

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »