Robert Long
Robert Long  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:40
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 31, 2012

So I've been translating for a little while now and I've finally made the upgrade to using a well-known CAT tool (Déja Vu professional). Yay me!

My question is, if I receive a PDF file, what's the best way to go about handling it in regards to using Déja vu? I'm still not totally familiar with the program, so I'm not sure if it can handle it directly or not or if there is an additional program/software I will need
... See more
So I've been translating for a little while now and I've finally made the upgrade to using a well-known CAT tool (Déja Vu professional). Yay me!

My question is, if I receive a PDF file, what's the best way to go about handling it in regards to using Déja vu? I'm still not totally familiar with the program, so I'm not sure if it can handle it directly or not or if there is an additional program/software I will need to acquire in order to be able to convert PDF files into a manageable form.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

~Robbie
Collapse

Jose Herrera
Jose Herrera  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
The use of PDF files May 31, 2012

This is what I did.

I bought a file converter program, I use trados 2011. Before taking the document into trados, I converted into a ward document. This is the simplest way I have find on doing this.

You can find affordable file converters.

Hope this help you

Jose Alfredo Herrera

Linh Hoang
Linh Hoang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 10:40
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Just copy to word if being convertible pdf file Jun 1, 2012

Please note that if the pdf file is converted from a word file other than a scanned documenent, you may use copy the file contents with Acrobat professional (say, Acrobat 8.0 or above). Just select all and copy it to word file. Much more easy than using converting sofware.

Of course for scanned document you need using converting software, say ABBYY for example.

Hope it works for you.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:40
Italian to English
In memoriam
Encourage customers to send the original documents Jun 1, 2012

Lay down the ground rules.

It might be a good idea to demand a premium for PDF documents, which one way or another will always take you longer than other formats. Sometimes your customers will not have access to the original file used to create the PDF but the prospect of an extra charge will encourage them to dig it out if they can.

Note too that publishers, marketing agencies and the like sometimes send PDFs exported from DTP programs, assuming that the translator ca
... See more

It might be a good idea to demand a premium for PDF documents, which one way or another will always take you longer than other formats. Sometimes your customers will not have access to the original file used to create the PDF but the prospect of an extra charge will encourage them to dig it out if they can.

Note too that publishers, marketing agencies and the like sometimes send PDFs exported from DTP programs, assuming that the translator cannot handle the DTP format. A quick chat with the client's technical staff will soon establish what source files are available (the outsourcing staff may not know), in which case your CAT will enable you to work directly on the native file and so deliver a much cleaner product.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Best policy Jun 1, 2012

Giles Watson wrote:

Note too that publishers, marketing agencies and the like sometimes send PDFs exported from DTP programs, assuming that the translator cannot handle the DTP format. A quick chat with the client's technical staff will soon establish what source files are available (the outsourcing staff may not know), in which case your CAT will enable you to work directly on the native file and so deliver a much cleaner product.

Total agreement. Set out your own conditions and charge extra for PDFs or other time-wasting bugbear formats. I charge a basic rate for Word/Excel/PowerPoint and the threat of a surcharge for other formats usually encourages clients to comply.

Other than that, I found it necessary to acquire (buy) a converter program to get semi-doable PDFs into Word or similar workable shapes - I use Solid Converter which is reasonably cheap, but it doesn't work well with scanned documents. My colleague uses a more powerful/expensive one which is called something like Omnicron, or is that from Futurama?

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
DVX2 Jun 1, 2012

Assuming you've bought DVX2 build 555, you shouldn't have any problem importing pdf files as Atril has introduced a filter to handle pdfs (apparently better than ABBYY, haven't tried it yet though as I hate converting pdfs' when source files are available).

HTH,

Bernard

Robert Long
Portugal
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deja vu + pdf conversion Jun 1, 2012

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Assuming you've bought DVX2 build 555, you shouldn't have any problem importing pdf files as Atril has introduced a filter to handle pdfs (apparently better than ABBYY, haven't tried it yet though as I hate converting pdfs' when source files are available).

HTH,

Bernard

Thank you everyone for your replies.

As for Déja vu, do you know if the ''professional'' version has this conversion capability as well?

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
DVX2 Pro Jun 1, 2012

Yes, you should select Tools -> Options -> Filters -> Adobe PDF is the last entry in the list

Robert Long
Portugal
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Jun 1, 2012

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Yes, you should select Tools -> Options -> Filters -> Adobe PDF is the last entry in the list

Thank you so much! So much to learn in this career! It's very exciting and stimulating.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Robert Long
Portugal
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still wont download Jun 12, 2012

Ok I've received the PDF file from the client (which I think was from a word document, NOT a scan).

I opened a new project in Dejavu, and when I get to the part where I'm supposed to import the file, it acts like it does something but then when the window opens, it's blank. No rows of translation at all. To the right I see the little symbol for the PDF. (which says 0%).

I went to tools, options, filters, and saw the Adobe PDF option but not sure what to do after that, o
... See more
Ok I've received the PDF file from the client (which I think was from a word document, NOT a scan).

I opened a new project in Dejavu, and when I get to the part where I'm supposed to import the file, it acts like it does something but then when the window opens, it's blank. No rows of translation at all. To the right I see the little symbol for the PDF. (which says 0%).

I went to tools, options, filters, and saw the Adobe PDF option but not sure what to do after that, or when to do that step for that matter. Please help.

Thank you
Collapse

Annick Scherer (X)
Annick Scherer (X)
PDF filter in Déjà Vu Jun 13, 2012

Dear Robert,

Déjà Vu supports all PDF files issued from Word, InDesign... (no scans) since last month.

When you import the document, Déjà Vu will combine it with the CodeZapper functionality, which erases all embedded codes that aren't related to formatting.

After the translation, the document will be exported as a Word document in order for you to do some post-editing if needed.
It works pretty well. We actually used it on our Getting Started g
... See more
Dear Robert,

Déjà Vu supports all PDF files issued from Word, InDesign... (no scans) since last month.

When you import the document, Déjà Vu will combine it with the CodeZapper functionality, which erases all embedded codes that aren't related to formatting.

After the translation, the document will be exported as a Word document in order for you to do some post-editing if needed.
It works pretty well. We actually used it on our Getting Started guide and got a pretty good result.

As for the problem you encountered, could it be that this Word document was scanned and then turned into a PDF? This would explain why Déjà Vu couldn't import the content...

Did you try using a PDF document you issued yourself from a Word document?

As I am working for Atril as Head of Freelance Translators, you can send me your screenshots with a detailed explanation on your problem under [email protected] and I will be answering to you within a few hours.

Annick Scherer
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

@ Annick Jun 13, 2012

Dear Annick,

I'm delighted to see you on the DéjàVu forum on ProZ. Could you please post the conclusions you reach when checking out an issue, so we can all benefit?

MTIA,

Yolanda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to handle PDF files?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »