Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:40
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
May 10, 2012

Dear colleagues,

One of my agency customers recently changed from Trados 2007 to MemoQ. They now send me the source files in XLF format, which I translate using Déjà Vu, and the client then edits them. I would then like to update my project file based on the changes made by the client so that I can not only feed my TM, but also go through the updated project file and send plenty of terms into my client-specific TB. In your opinion, what would be the easiest way to proceed?
... See more
Dear colleagues,

One of my agency customers recently changed from Trados 2007 to MemoQ. They now send me the source files in XLF format, which I translate using Déjà Vu, and the client then edits them. I would then like to update my project file based on the changes made by the client so that I can not only feed my TM, but also go through the updated project file and send plenty of terms into my client-specific TB. In your opinion, what would be the easiest way to proceed?

So far, the easiest solution I have come up with is this:
1) Ask the client for the TMX file of the edited translation
2) Create a TM and import the TMX file into it
3) Delete my translation in the project file and translate it again from scratch, using that TM
4) Feed my TB while going through the project file

Is there any easier and more straightforward method than that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Olaf

[Edited at 2012-05-11 07:39 GMT]
Collapse

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:40
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
re-send the xlf-files? May 11, 2012

Hi,

if the client can send you the updated TM, it should mean that they do the final corrections in bilingual files and not in the clean documents, meaning that they should be able to send you the updated xlf files rather than the TM? Or am I missing something?

Kind regards,
Johan

Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:40
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated XLF files May 11, 2012

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your reply! For some reason, the client seemed unable to send me those updated XLF files, but I will ask them again, as that would really be the easiest solution.

Kind regards,

Olaf

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:40
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Track changes May 11, 2012

Hi again,

MemoQ 5 has got a Track Changes function for these scenarios, but it's not possible to export the result (yet). Maybe DV has got a similar function?
http://kilgray.com/feature/track-changes-new-memoq-50

Otherwise I can recommend ChangeTracker (freeware) for spotting the differences between the
... See more
Hi again,

MemoQ 5 has got a Track Changes function for these scenarios, but it's not possible to export the result (yet). Maybe DV has got a similar function?
http://kilgray.com/feature/track-changes-new-memoq-50

Otherwise I can recommend ChangeTracker (freeware) for spotting the differences between the versions. MemoQ xlf files are supported.
http://www.change-tracker.com/

Kind regards,
Johan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working in Déjà Vu for a client who uses MemoQ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »