Irene Acler
Irene Acler  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:16
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Apr 23, 2012

Hello again.

Now I have a real new document to translate and I'd like to try with DV X2.
The document is full of cells (tables) and when I import it, it seems to be free of words (see my previous thread on this forum). I changed filters, but nothing.
Is there something special to do with tables/cells in a Word document?

Thank you very much for your patience and help.

Irene

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Different types of fields, boxes etc. Apr 23, 2012

There are a number of variables here. Where do your "cells" or "tables" come from? (i.e. which programs, and what versions of these programs?)
First thing to check: how easy is it to click on them and edit them in Word? There are various types of embedded text fields which can be created in Word, and Word can also import elements from Excel or from other programs. The text you see in Word may even be a graphic element which does not consist of letters at all.
Another variable is the
... See more
There are a number of variables here. Where do your "cells" or "tables" come from? (i.e. which programs, and what versions of these programs?)
First thing to check: how easy is it to click on them and edit them in Word? There are various types of embedded text fields which can be created in Word, and Word can also import elements from Excel or from other programs. The text you see in Word may even be a graphic element which does not consist of letters at all.
Another variable is the version of Word you are using, or the version which the document was created with. DVX2 has a couple of extra tricks with embedded elements if they are created and imported in Word 2007 or 2010, and in some circumstances it can convert embedded elements which were created in Word 2003 so that they, too, can be imported with the extra tricks.
To access these extra tricks:
In the ribbon at the top of the screen in Word 2007 or 2010 there is an item called "Déjà Vu X2". There you can select "Check all objects", which gives you a first indication of how successful the import is likely to be. If the file includes legacy objects, you can convert them to a later format. (The item "Refresh" is for later - when you have finished and exported your translation.) I don't think these extra tricks to import embedded objects from Excel etc. can be used if you have Word 2003, although I'm not quite sure of this (I have 2007).
Then, when you import the file into DVX2, take a careful look at which boxes are clicked in the "Properties" pane - there are check boxes, for example, which can disable the import of embedded elements or fields.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has an infinite range of complex tricks to make life difficult for us, and when combined with the way many clients create their source documents, this can pose us an unlimited range of puzzles. DVX2 can solve some of them (and in some cases it can solve problems that other CAT programs haven't yet got their teeth into), but even DVX2 still leaves a couple of unsolved mysteries.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
word 2003 or 2007 Apr 23, 2012

First of all, is it a .doc or .docx file? There are 2 different filters for these files. Normally DVX2 automatically selects the correct filter, e.g. Microsoft Filter for doc files and Microsoft Office 2007/2010 Open XML Filter for docx files.

You can add and import files to your project any time you want, either when you create a new project (project wizard helps to add and import multiple files) or after you created a project (through Project Explorer or Advanced Project Explorer)
... See more
First of all, is it a .doc or .docx file? There are 2 different filters for these files. Normally DVX2 automatically selects the correct filter, e.g. Microsoft Filter for doc files and Microsoft Office 2007/2010 Open XML Filter for docx files.

You can add and import files to your project any time you want, either when you create a new project (project wizard helps to add and import multiple files) or after you created a project (through Project Explorer or Advanced Project Explorer).

You can add multiple files through Project Explorer but you can import them one by one only. To import multiple projects right click in Project Explorer and open Advanced Project Explorer.

As for the cells, as Victor mentioned it could be an embedded Excel sheet. If your file is a docx file, DVX2 normally imports it automatically.

But sometimes these are legacy objects, e.g. an Excel 2003 sheet in a docx file. If this is the case you can use the DVX2 menu in your Word 2007 to convert them. After that conversion all legacy objects are imported.
Collapse

Irene Acler
Irene Acler  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 24, 2012

I thank you all for your detailed answered. I managed to translate the document, but I noticed there are a lot of filters and things to know! I'd better take a course to learn all the features of this program!

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word document with cells

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »