Irene Acler
Irene Acler  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:39
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Apr 23, 2012

Good morning.

I'm a new user of DV X2 Professional, so sorry for my questions!

Well, I want to translate a Word document, I created the project and then on tha main panel, on the right I find the list of files to translate. The problem is that in brackets I find [0] (no words), and if I double-click on the file, it doesn't show me the source text to translate. I'm sure the file is full of text, but here it appears that there are no words.

What happened? Is
... See more
Good morning.

I'm a new user of DV X2 Professional, so sorry for my questions!

Well, I want to translate a Word document, I created the project and then on tha main panel, on the right I find the list of files to translate. The problem is that in brackets I find [0] (no words), and if I double-click on the file, it doesn't show me the source text to translate. I'm sure the file is full of text, but here it appears that there are no words.

What happened? Is there any special option to consider?

Thank you very much for your help!
Collapse

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
What is the wordcount if you open it in Word? Apr 23, 2012

What wordcount is shown if the document is opened in Word?

If the answer is still 0, the words are probably in a text box inserted into the Word document.

Irene Acler
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There are words in the doc! Apr 23, 2012

Hello,

The document counts 158 words, so there aren't any boxes..

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Options at the top of the source text Apr 23, 2012

I'm still sticking with DVX 1, so apologies if this does not apply.

In DVX 1 there is a menu bar above the translation area with drop-down options for setting the language and also which cells are visible (All Rows, Empty Rows, Completed Rows, and so on). In DVX 1 I sometimes find I've inadvertantly set this to something other than "All Rows", which shows all the rows.

If that doesn't help, somebody else will have to!

[Edited at 2012-04-23 09:40 GMT
... See more
I'm still sticking with DVX 1, so apologies if this does not apply.

In DVX 1 there is a menu bar above the translation area with drop-down options for setting the language and also which cells are visible (All Rows, Empty Rows, Completed Rows, and so on). In DVX 1 I sometimes find I've inadvertantly set this to something other than "All Rows", which shows all the rows.

If that doesn't help, somebody else will have to!

[Edited at 2012-04-23 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

Irene Acler
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bar Apr 23, 2012

I found the bar, but nothing, I suppose that's not the problem. I clicked on each one of the expressions, and nothing happens I still see nothing in the panel.

Thanks anyway. Let's see if someone else has any idea.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Check whether you import the file Apr 23, 2012

Please try re-import the file (right mouse button, choose "import") and open again. Did you set the proper language variations (eng-gb or eng-us) in the project?

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
What build of DVX2? Apr 23, 2012

Hi, what build of DVX2 are you using? In earlier builds, DVX2 sometimes did not find the right filter and therefore failed to import .doc and .docx files. There were workarounds for this problem, but it was fixed in the last public build (which I believe is 533).

If nothing else works, the workaround of last resort is to save the source file as an .rtf file and import that.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Is the file name in grey or black? Apr 23, 2012

In the list of files in the "Project Explorer", the file names are in a sort of light grey when you first add them to the project. To import them, you need to right click on them and select "Import". The lettering of the file name then turns black.

Irene Acler
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Last build 533 Apr 23, 2012

I have the last build, which is 533, as Victor says.

I tried to focus on the filters mentioned by Victor and THERE was the problem. The filter of the document was set on Excel documents. I selected Word documents, applied the change and saved. And now I can finally see all the segments of the file included in the project!!

Thank you very much for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate a Word document

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »