Thread poster: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:31
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Feb 23, 2012

I see the support here works better than Atril's directly:-)

So I hope someone can help me with this problem:

I wanted to export my translation ("export translated project") but DVX2 says there is a problem with embedded codes. However, the codes were correct and there was nothing I needed to change. Finally I deleted the whole - very short - sentence, but I am still told there is a problem with the codes in the very same sentence and I am stuck and not able to deliver
... See more
I see the support here works better than Atril's directly:-)

So I hope someone can help me with this problem:

I wanted to export my translation ("export translated project") but DVX2 says there is a problem with embedded codes. However, the codes were correct and there was nothing I needed to change. Finally I deleted the whole - very short - sentence, but I am still told there is a problem with the codes in the very same sentence and I am stuck and not able to deliver the translation. What am I supposed to do?

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:31
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Codes in right order Feb 23, 2012

Sometimes a code gets out of order. Also, there may be an extra space before or after a code, or a space may be missing.

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:31
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Sorry to hear that... Feb 23, 2012

That was the exact reason why I spent several hundred euros on the new Déjà vu X2 – Trados v2009 was playing tricks on me when exporting the finished translation and putting me in deep water after I had been working on a project for 2+ months.

I am really sorry to hear that DJV seems to have the same problem with tags, and also with pinpointing the position of the offending tag (if I understand the initial post correctly).

I hope this gets fixed soon.

K
... See more
That was the exact reason why I spent several hundred euros on the new Déjà vu X2 – Trados v2009 was playing tricks on me when exporting the finished translation and putting me in deep water after I had been working on a project for 2+ months.

I am really sorry to hear that DJV seems to have the same problem with tags, and also with pinpointing the position of the offending tag (if I understand the initial post correctly).

I hope this gets fixed soon.

Kind Regards,
PTs
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this is really unnerving! Feb 23, 2012

The translation is ready and it is stuck... Plus, the DVX support seems to think you can put on hold a translation at will...

@Yolanda: the code isn't there any more, it has been deleted with the whole sentence altogether. So how can it be out of order?

Of course, I could try to redo the whole translation. But there must be a way to get rid of this problem, just in case...

Caroline Bajwel
Caroline Bajwel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
Fixing embedded codes Feb 23, 2012

Hi Christel,
Embedded codes in the source segments must be present as well in the target segments and in the right order, i.e. for example 1, 2, 3 and not 1, 3, 2 (not sure what you mean by "I deleted the whole sentence"). Please make sure your codes, including brackets {}, are correct. You can press F8 or Control F8 to insert proper codes in a segment. Before exporting, you need to run the Check embedded codes feature (QA menu), fix codes when DVX stops on a segment and displays a code er
... See more
Hi Christel,
Embedded codes in the source segments must be present as well in the target segments and in the right order, i.e. for example 1, 2, 3 and not 1, 3, 2 (not sure what you mean by "I deleted the whole sentence"). Please make sure your codes, including brackets {}, are correct. You can press F8 or Control F8 to insert proper codes in a segment. Before exporting, you need to run the Check embedded codes feature (QA menu), fix codes when DVX stops on a segment and displays a code error message at the bottom left of the screen, then run the feature again until DVX tells you that there are no code errors.
Caroline
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The sentence isn't there any more Feb 23, 2012

Caroline Bajwel wrote:

(not sure what you mean by "I deleted the whole sentence").

Caroline

As the message continued to show up, while the questionable codes (only two and only in this little sentence) including the brackets were there and in the right order, I deleted the whole sentence (source + target) thinking to solve the problem. You would say that when the sentence isn't there any more it cannot cause any problems, wouldn't you? But I still cannot export the translation.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:31
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Removed codes = missing codes Feb 23, 2012

Hi Christel,

Removing a sentence and its codes creates a gap in the total number of codes.

I would recommend reimporting your translation once again, this time without the problem sentence, as a second file for your project. (Backup your project first, just to be safe.) Then simply go through the text, from top to bottom, using Ctrl + down arrow to reinsert your translation from the translation memory. It sho
... See more
Hi Christel,

I would recommend reimporting your translation once again, this time without the problem sentence, as a second file for your project. (Backup your project first, just to be safe.) Then simply go through the text, from top to bottom, using Ctrl + down arrow to reinsert your translation from the translation memory. It shouldn't take too long to do that.

(And please let us know when you get that translation exported!)
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Feb 24, 2012

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Hi Christel,

Thank you, Yolanda!

I didn't know this, as I am relatively new to DVX.

Anyway, I wondered why I was told the codes weren't correct and they were, instead, and whether there was another way to remove this problem rather than redo the whole translation.

Furthermore, in my (little) experience, extra or missing spaces before and after the code bracket didn't affect the results so far, or at least I didn't encounter problems with it; actually, I didn't pay any attention to this circumstance and noticed now that the spaces sometimes don't correspond between source and target without giving me any error during the QA check. I am not able to see however whether this could have been the case with this sentence as like I said I removed it completely.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
Don't delete source sentences! Mar 6, 2012

Deleting source sentences is a bad idea, likely to create an unusable file (depending on the document's format). If you delete an entire segment, including its codes, you loose the formatting information contained therein, and, again depending on the document's format, this information may be critical.

A better solution would have been to press the key F5 to copy the source to the target. By doing this, you ensure that the codes in the target will match those in the source. After ex
... See more
Deleting source sentences is a bad idea, likely to create an unusable file (depending on the document's format). If you delete an entire segment, including its codes, you loose the formatting information contained therein, and, again depending on the document's format, this information may be critical.

A better solution would have been to press the key F5 to copy the source to the target. By doing this, you ensure that the codes in the target will match those in the source. After exporting, you would find that the particular segment in the exported file is in the same language as the original, and you could then edit it by hand.
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
another solution Mar 6, 2012

You can also simply copy a missing embedded code from a source sentence to a target one. This what I do and it always works.

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copying source to target was the first thing I did Mar 7, 2012

of course, although I didn't mention it. As I said, the sentence was very short, with only two codes and two or three words in it, so I couldn't be wrong and miss something. That's what puzzled me. But just to be sure, I copied it, and yet I continued to get the same message!

That's why I finally deleted the whole sentence; I have now unterstood that I shouldn't have done that, and have learned something new. But in such a situation, what else was I supposed to do to solve this pro
... See more
of course, although I didn't mention it. As I said, the sentence was very short, with only two codes and two or three words in it, so I couldn't be wrong and miss something. That's what puzzled me. But just to be sure, I copied it, and yet I continued to get the same message!

That's why I finally deleted the whole sentence; I have now unterstood that I shouldn't have done that, and have learned something new. But in such a situation, what else was I supposed to do to solve this problem? It may reoccur, so I wanted to be prepared...
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
wrong error message Mar 7, 2012

Christel Zipfel wrote:

That's why I finally deleted the whole sentence; I have now unterstood that I shouldn't have done that, and have learned something new. But in such a situation, what else was I supposed to do to solve this problem? It may reoccur, so I wanted to be prepared...

I guess what caused that error message. Possibly you put the cursor in that segment and then moved to another one which caused missing codes error. When moved back to that segment, even F8 (copy code) does not clear that error message. If you move to the next segment you will see that error message is cleared.

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error message Mar 8, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I guess what caused that error message. Possibly you put the cursor in that segment and then moved to another one which caused missing codes error. When moved back to that segment, even F8 (copy code) does not clear that error message. If you move to the next segment you will see that error message is cleared.

Thank you, but the error message appeared only to tell me it was impossible to export the translated file because of those embedded codes (after having copied source to target)...

ozkariaz
ozkariaz
English to Spanish
Create whole new project May 3, 2015

I once had a similar problem and did this to solve it: Send all the material to your database. Create a new project and use "pretranslate". Check code for code manually and use also "Ctr+Shift+F8". For some reason the new project gets rid of the problem, whatever it is. It's the last resource if you have checked the codes over and over and if you have used the "Ctr+Shift+F8 function with no solution. It may take time, but it will help you recover your project to export it.

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, ozkariaz! Jun 17, 2015

Some time has passed since then and I really don't remember how I managed to solve the problem.
Anyway, thank you very much for trying to help me. Your solution may be useful to someone who stumbles over tis thread in the future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Embedded codes won't allow to export the translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »