Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:08
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Feb 23, 2012

Dear colleagues,

as I am specialiced in technical translations, I often have to use sub- and superscripts (like in CO2, m2, m3 etc.). I already looked up the manual and the Internet, but I didn´t find any help how to set them. Anybody more comfortable with that than me? Thanks!

Best regards,

Matthias

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Character table Feb 23, 2012

The easiest way, of course, is if the appropriate subscript/superscript is defined as such in your source text. DVX will import them surrounded by codes, and these codes are then included in the target as you work.

Otherwise, you can use CTRL-K to call up the character table (on my German OS it calls itself "Zeichentabelle"), and you can use this to insert them as special characters. These special characters can generally also be defined in the TB. For example, in the German source
... See more
The easiest way, of course, is if the appropriate subscript/superscript is defined as such in your source text. DVX will import them surrounded by codes, and these codes are then included in the target as you work.

Otherwise, you can use CTRL-K to call up the character table (on my German OS it calls itself "Zeichentabelle"), and you can use this to insert them as special characters. These special characters can generally also be defined in the TB. For example, in the German source texts I get, the "square metre" is often abbreviated as "qm", and I have a TB entry qm=m², which means that I do not have to enter the superscript manually.

Another option is to remember the four digit code in connection with the ALT key. For superscript 2, for example, it is ALT-0178. You can look up the codes for other symbols in the character table (and I believe you can even define your own codes to some extent).

I don't know whether there is any typographic difference between a superscript 2 created via the character table or ALT key and a superscript 2 created by formatting a normal 2 as superscript. But in practice, I expect that this will not matter in most of the work we do.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Feb 23, 2012

...it seems to work! ͣ ⅛ ₒ as you may see here
Best regards,

Matthias

Caroline Bajwel
Caroline Bajwel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
Inserting special characters in DVX Feb 23, 2012

A link to download a special program that allows to insert easily all kinds of characters has been published in the [email protected] list :
http://catology.boisset.eu/dl3

Following installation, you just click once on the application to activate it and you can then type some characters sequences that automatically inser
... See more
A link to download a special program that allows to insert easily all kinds of characters has been published in the [email protected] list :
http://catology.boisset.eu/dl3

Following installation, you just click once on the application to activate it and you can then type some characters sequences that automatically insert the wanted character. A pdf file explains how to use it.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perfect! Feb 23, 2012

Thank you both of you, Caroline and Victor, finally I am able to write "CO₂-Emissionen" as it should
Carlinga.exe seems to work fine and will be tested also for other CAT tools...

Best regards,

Matthias

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
AutoText and AutoCorrect Mar 6, 2012

You can use AutoText and AutoCorrect for this purpose.

AutoText expands a token you have defined into a larger string of text when you place the cursor on the token and press Control+Shift+F3.

AutoCorrect works similarly, but it is an automated function. When it is enabled, it will check every word you type and, if it matches a common misspelling from the list included in DVX2, it will replace the word with the correct spelling. Since you can edit the existing AutoCorre
... See more
You can use AutoText and AutoCorrect for this purpose.

AutoText expands a token you have defined into a larger string of text when you place the cursor on the token and press Control+Shift+F3.

AutoCorrect works similarly, but it is an automated function. When it is enabled, it will check every word you type and, if it matches a common misspelling from the list included in DVX2, it will replace the word with the correct spelling. Since you can edit the existing AutoCorrect entries and add new ones, you can use this to automatically replace tokens with larger strings of text.

You could configure either of these to replace CO2 with CO₂, for example.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Superscripts / subscripts in DVX2

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »