Word 2010 (.docx) & DVX
Thread poster: QUOI
QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2012

I recently started using Office 2010 (MS Word 2010) and have encountered the following issue:

The word document (.docx) for translation contains a list of city names, ie Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane etc..This word document is imported into DVX project without problem. However, when the project file is opened, some of these names or parts of a name are not shown in the source column. For example, Tweed Heads (a place name) only shows the "Heads" part but not the "Tweed" part. Likewise,
... See more
I recently started using Office 2010 (MS Word 2010) and have encountered the following issue:

The word document (.docx) for translation contains a list of city names, ie Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane etc..This word document is imported into DVX project without problem. However, when the project file is opened, some of these names or parts of a name are not shown in the source column. For example, Tweed Heads (a place name) only shows the "Heads" part but not the "Tweed" part. Likewise, "Canberra centre" only shows the "centre" part but not the "Canberra" part.

These problems don't occur when I have saved the file down to Office 2003 and then imported it into DVX project.

I have also tried some other Word 2010 files with place/geo location names in it and have had the same problem.

It seems that Word 2010 automatically does something to names of place it recognises. I have tried to turn off SmartTag in Word, but it doesn't help.

I also notice segmentation behaves a little bit differently with Word 2010 files but haven't had the time to look further into it.

Does anyone notice the same problem? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
I notice this problem in Word 2007 Feb 21, 2012

So I simply save the file to Word 2003 before importing.

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks like a .docx compatibility issue Feb 21, 2012

Zhoudan wrote:

Ultimately I don't want to go through this save-down process. Don't want to intall two versions of Office either.

[Edited at 2012-02-21 01:33 GMT]

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.docx & DVX Feb 21, 2012

I wonder if Atril representative on this forum will shine some light on the issue.

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
You do not need to... Feb 21, 2012

have two versions of Office installed
quoi wrote:

Zhoudan wrote:

Ultimately I don't want to go through this save-down process. Don't want to intall two versions of Office either.

[Edited at 2012-02-21 01:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2010 (.docx) & DVX

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »