Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:53
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 16, 2012

When I correct a finished segment during a translation session (because I thought of a better translation or decided to change a term):

1. Can I propagate the change to other instances of the same segment if they are already finished too?

2. Do I need to CTRL+Down such a (already finished) segment to commit it to the TM, or is that unnecessary?

TIA

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:53
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

update TM (Alt + f12) Feb 16, 2012

Use Find and Replace to correct already finished segments. Once you have updated your segments, use Alt + f12 to change the TM so it matches your corrections.

Note that you can use Find and Replace across all files in a particular project, or just in the file you are working on, depending on how you set Find and Replace.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
. Feb 16, 2012

Or "Add paid to Translation Memory" on the tool bar, which is more handy in my opinion.

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Find and Replace Feb 16, 2012

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Use Find and Replace to correct already finished segments. Once you have updated your segments, use Alt + f12 to change the TM so it matches your corrections.

Note that you can use Find and Replace across all files in a particular project, or just in the file you are working on, depending on how you set Find and Replace.

Thanks a lot, Yolanda and Ewa. I was hoping there was a little-known shortcut that would allow me to propagate to finished segments automatically, like in Trados Studio.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
. Feb 16, 2012

I don't know about Trados, but AFAIK if you change/correct one segment in DVX and send it to TM, it will automatically propagate to other segments.

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Ewa Feb 16, 2012

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak) wrote:

I don't know about Trados, but AFAIK if you change/correct one segment in DVX and send it to TM, it will automatically propagate to other segments.

It doesn't seem to work with finished segments, though. I thought that if I ctl+down on a corrected, previously finished, segment, it would update the TM (which the key combination normally does for me), and then propagation to other finished segments would be possible. But either the key combination doesn't work twice on the same segment with regard to updating the TM, or the finished status deliberately protects segments from propagation-related changes. This makes sense, but I wish there was an option to enable propagation to finished segments, too.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:53
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Propagation does not work with finished segments Feb 16, 2012

Adam is right: once a term has been saved to the MDB (Memory DataBase), it won't go back to previous segments and change them retroactively, even when the new term has been saved. But Search and Replace works very fast, and Search and Replace All works even faster. And this way, you get to decide when a term gets replaced throughout your text, and when it just gets replaced in some segments, such as when the term has a further modifier in some segments, calling for a different translation.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:53
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sort Alphabetically Feb 16, 2012

- Put your cursor in the updated segment (source or target, makes no difference)
- Sort Alphabetically
- Select the propagated segments and Toggle Finished Status pressing Ctrl+Shift+F (not sure if this is the default shortcut)
- Then go back to the updated segment and press ctrl+down arrow to autopropagate and send to TM

HTH

Selcuk

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 16, 2012

Thanks, everyone! You've been very helpful.

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
AutoPropagate Feb 20, 2012

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak) wrote:

As Adam said, this does not work if the rest of the segments are finished. AutoPropagate does not overwrite such segments. However, if you propagate manually (uisng the keyboard shortcuts or the menu commands) other segments will be overwritten with the propagated translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing finished segments in DVX2

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »