Thread poster: Alison ON
Alison ON
Alison ON  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
German to English
Feb 14, 2012

Hello!
I am trying out DVX2 (8.0.519) after years of working with my much-loved DV3, and am generally getting along all right.

However, when I use Scan it appears unreliable. I am working with 7 files (InDesigner) and frequently recognise terms/segments, but sometimes when I select a word and scan, I get the message "No matches were found" even though I know I have input that word (even in an almost-identical segment) in another file.

I have adjusted the Database
... See more
Hello!
I am trying out DVX2 (8.0.519) after years of working with my much-loved DV3, and am generally getting along all right.

However, when I use Scan it appears unreliable. I am working with 7 files (InDesigner) and frequently recognise terms/segments, but sometimes when I select a word and scan, I get the message "No matches were found" even though I know I have input that word (even in an almost-identical segment) in another file.

I have adjusted the Database Lookup min. score to 67, but I assume that only applies to segments.

Why can't DVX2 find the word or even words I have selected (Traploos/Traploos verstelbare in this case, so not just 3 or 4 letters)? AutoSearch finds "verstelbare" as it is in the TDB.

What do I need to do to make it work? Also, is there an "All files" view option as there was for DV3? I don't want to have to keep swapping back and forth, especially if I have to search/edit terms individually in each file using Find.

TIA!
Alison
Collapse

Caroline Bajwel
Caroline Bajwel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:05
Member (2009)
English to French
DVX2 scan and all files view Feb 14, 2012

Hi Alison,
If you have not done so, I recommend that you repair your translation memory using the Repair feature available in the Tools menu.
Please note also that you may scan with jokers (feature available in the Translation menu). For instance, for "verstelbare", you may type "*verstel*" in the box and this might return info.
To get a view of all files, just click on the main yellow directory in Project Explorer (right part of the screen). Before doing so, you might want to
... See more
Hi Alison,
If you have not done so, I recommend that you repair your translation memory using the Repair feature available in the Tools menu.
Please note also that you may scan with jokers (feature available in the Translation menu). For instance, for "verstelbare", you may type "*verstel*" in the box and this might return info.
To get a view of all files, just click on the main yellow directory in Project Explorer (right part of the screen). Before doing so, you might want to bookmark the segment you're working on (press Control F2). This will allow you to get back quickly to that segment afterwards by pressing F2.
Best Regards
Caroline
Collapse

Alison ON
Alison ON  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 14, 2012

Thank you, Caroline, for your prompt and helpful response. Unfortunately the Repair function didn't work (couldn't create a new file) and the Wildcard also got me no further. Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's a limitation on the trial version ... anyway, for the time being I am stuck with using Find when Scan doesn't come up with the goods. I'll definitely have a go with bookmarking before I do so!

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Scan for content in earlier projects only Feb 14, 2012

I, too, wind up using Find to locate terms from my current project. My experience has been that Scan only finds content from earlier projects and from old files in large projects. It definitely does not locate terms in any material I am currently working on, even across several files.

I don't remember anymore what my experience with Scan was when I had DV3: I've been using DVX in both its versions ever since the first DVX came out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terms not found by Scan

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »