DVX 8.0.505
Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
laure claesen
laure claesen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:52
Member (2005)
English to French
completely disappointing - or is it just me and my ageing laptop (3 years old) Dec 18, 2011

It's good to read those first reactions about DVX2.

I would like to share my own experience to see if anyone has encountered the same problems.

I have been using DVX2 since its first release last July and things have gone from excellent to completely disappointing.

At first, I was amazed to see what Deep Miner could do -although I was aware that I had to be very cautious because it would build perfect sentences that could in fact prove pretty wrong. Plus th
... See more
It's good to read those first reactions about DVX2.

I would like to share my own experience to see if anyone has encountered the same problems.

I have been using DVX2 since its first release last July and things have gone from excellent to completely disappointing.

At first, I was amazed to see what Deep Miner could do -although I was aware that I had to be very cautious because it would build perfect sentences that could in fact prove pretty wrong. Plus the fact that I did not feel my own master anymore because this magic tool seemed to be doing all the work itself. Just like in the fairytale when you put the magic shoes on and they make you dance till you bleed....

Then bit by bit, I started experiencing more and more bugs. Error messages saying that DVX had encountered a problem and needed to close. I would also get locked up inside the option to report the error and could not either get out of the error window or even the software. Eventually, I had to relaunch the software of the computer even.

Shortly after that, Deepminer was working only now and then but was taking longer and longer to retrieve anything. I counted as long as ten minutes once. Ridiculously long is the word indeed.

Then the retrieved portions were completely erratic with about 50% of them not even showing in the right handside column containing terminology entries.

Now, Deepminer seems to have abandonned me completely.

Lorenzo, you've helped me but not enough. I said that my plan was to download it on another computer to see if I had the same problem with a different machine but there too, I got locked because you have to deactivate the software on the original computer before you are allowed to install it on another. What I need in fact is my good old CD-Rom.

This is just too much to do when you are busy and have to work. I am in the middle of the ford still fighting the stream and have been for about 8 weeks now.

I have wasted so much time with this.

Dave's advice to drop DeepMiner is not very encouraging -is it an admission that, as Epameinondas suggests, it is a monster and as such it cannot in fact work?

But then, why did I have it working when I was using it in the beginning and why did it deteriorate? Have you ever seen a software gradually loosing its features?

Least I can say is that I am puzzled.

Lorenzo, have you any new suggestions to make or guidance ?
Collapse

Herbert Eppel
Herbert Eppel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:52
German to English
+ ...
Do you have the latest version? Dec 19, 2011

laure claesen wrote:

Do you have the latest version, i.e. build 519, installed?
Please report back if you still experience problems after upgrading.

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
Deactivate DVX2 Dec 19, 2011

Deactivating DVX2 does not take any time at all: all you have to do access the menu option "Help>Deactivate" and then click on "Deactivate". Then your activation code will be free and you will be able to use it to activate a different copy of DVX2.

You should install the update as Herbert suggests. I would go further and advise you to uninstall DVX2 and then install it again, to ensure that DVX2 are replaced by the newest correct copies.

If this does not provide good re
... See more
Deactivating DVX2 does not take any time at all: all you have to do access the menu option "Help>Deactivate" and then click on "Deactivate". Then your activation code will be free and you will be able to use it to activate a different copy of DVX2.

You should install the update as Herbert suggests. I would go further and advise you to uninstall DVX2 and then install it again, to ensure that DVX2 are replaced by the newest correct copies.

If this does not provide good results, the best approach is to install DVX2 on another computer, because attempting to diagnose DVX2 on your current one would involve tests that would in all likelihood be lengthier than a new install of DVX2.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Views again... multitasking CAT tools... Jan 1, 2012

David Turner wrote:

The views can be created using SQL.
The problem is the SQL is neither easy nor intuitive, especially for the beginners.
mQ is far easier here.

Views aren't really "created" at all in DVX like they are in mQ (named views). They're just there at the click of a button. Just click the project icon for the "All files" view or use the rows selector to select status based views (all fuzzy matches, etc.), the A-Z button to sort alphabetically, the filter on selection buttons to obtain a view of all source and/or target rows containing a particular text or the checkboxes in the rows selector SQL statement option to display other views.

Yep, of course, these "global" views are easily accessible in DVX.

The problem is it's very hard to create a view for a subset of files in a DVX project.
In memoQ, one simply picks the needed files.

You can, of course, also use SQL to display more advanced views.

I don't think SQL would easily permit to create views for arbitrary subset of files.

I'd say that it's much easier to display (and use) views in DVX than mQ. Views are one of mQ's weakest points.

In terms of core programming and flexibility, you' re absolutely right.
E.g. in MQ, it's impossible to split/join segments in a file included in a view or display simultaneously a file and a view containing the same file which is perfectly possible in DVX.
It reflects one of the main MQ weaknesses i.e. the simultaneous data access is impossible, every item is accessed in exclusive mode.
So, no multiple instances, no background jobs etc.

MQ may have a lot of useful functions DVX lacks now but basically, the difference between MQ and DVX is like between a single tasking operating system like DOS and a multitasking OS like Windows.

Catspeed
GG

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX 8.0.505

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »