Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:42
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 3, 2011

Hi everybody,

I know that there used to be regular "wishlists" in the Déjà Vu discussion group on Yahoo but I find it easier to keep track of the discussions here in the ProZ forum.

I have made quite a long wishlist for new features and improvements for DVX 2 that I would like to have implemented, and I would like to share them with you so that you can comment them or add further suggestions.

For a start, here are some ideas for additional "External View"
... See more
Hi everybody,

I know that there used to be regular "wishlists" in the Déjà Vu discussion group on Yahoo but I find it easier to keep track of the discussions here in the ProZ forum.

I have made quite a long wishlist for new features and improvements for DVX 2 that I would like to have implemented, and I would like to share them with you so that you can comment them or add further suggestions.

For a start, here are some ideas for additional "External View" options:

1) If there are multiple files inside one project, one should be able (with one click) to export each of the files into a separate External View file (Right now, one can only export them all into one single External View; or one can export each of them into a separate External View file, by repeating the export procedure for each file, which is time-consuming when there are many files).

2) When reimporting an External View file, one should have the option to “Protect/Unprotect source text” and “Protect/Unprotect locked rows”.

- Reason why one may want to enable these protections: in case the editor inadvertently changed the source text or any of the locked segments despite the instruction not to do so, these accidental changes will not be reimported into the Déjà Vu project.

- Reason why one may want to disable these protections: one can correct errors in the source text or in the locked segments while editing the External View file, and then the corrections can be reimported into the Déjà Vu project.

3) One should be able to create External View files from TMs and TDBs (so that one can edit them easier, or have them edited by someone not using Déjà Vu, and then import them back into the TM/TDB) - if this is technologically feasible.

4) One should be able to export only the segments filtered with the function "Filter on Selection". I know this can also be done by marking the filtered segments with "Pending" and then only export the pending segments, but in many cases I already use the "Pending" marker for something else.

What do you think of these suggestions?

Kind regards,

Olaf

[Edited at 2011-11-03 18:28 GMT]
Collapse

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
Local time: 00:42
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Sensible suggestions! Nov 3, 2011

Dear Olaf!
These are very good suggestions, and could contribute to the survival of Deja Vu these times when clients maintain that Trados is the only CAT software they accept for freelancers to process their projects!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for additional "External View" options

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »