Thread poster: Jack Dunwell
Jack Dunwell
Jack Dunwell  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:15
French to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2011

A very good agency that I have has decided to introduce Déjà Vu.

This entails them in supplying Excel type tables in the place of the Real Thing.

That is the actual document with format and continuity decided by me.

I find this very depressing.

I use Wordfast and it is pretty compatible with (say) Trados, another WORD based system.

I should (and shall) prefer to supply an unclean Wordfast file.

Is there ANYTHING to b
... See more

This entails them in supplying Excel type tables in the place of the Real Thing.

I use Wordfast and it is pretty compatible with (say) Trados, another WORD based system.

Is there ANYTHING to be said for (as I understand it) an Excel based system?
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
External PoV Oct 13, 2011

I don't know anything about Déjà Vu and cannot therefore determine whether XLS files are more convenient or not than the "real thing" in the framework of DV operation.

However and as the person who is supposed to translate the files, I like to translate contents from the original file so they make sense to me.

I frankly cannot do anything with sentences that are to be found in 2 or more different cells of an XLS spreadsheet. I did that kind of work as an employee in
... See more
I don't know anything about Déjà Vu and cannot therefore determine whether XLS files are more convenient or not than the "real thing" in the framework of DV operation.

However and as the person who is supposed to translate the files, I like to translate contents from the original file so they make sense to me.

I frankly cannot do anything with sentences that are to be found in 2 or more different cells of an XLS spreadsheet. I did that kind of work as an employee in a translation bureau and just cannot stand it anymore as it is really a pain in the back, especially with languages that have radically different structures such as DE (source) and FR (target) for example.

This is what I call "logic", quite in the same way I would find it logical to be sent a CAT-editable file whenever possible!

[Edited at 2011-10-13 17:26 GMT]
Collapse

Jack Dunwell
Jack Dunwell  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Flavour Oct 13, 2011

Laurent!

Yes. Absolutely. I ENJOY translation. It has its own flavour to ABBYY pdfs so that original signatures and logos are there.

I have NO interest in being a slave (Number 63) pinned down like a butterfly.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
Excel based? Oct 13, 2011

fourth wrote:

Is there ANYTHING to be said for (as I understand it) an Excel based system?

I assume you received a Word document with a table inside, not an Excel file, right?

That is an "External View" file consisting of 5 columns: ID, Source, Target, Comments and Status. A file exported from DVX Professional or Workgroup version for translators who do not own a copy of DVX but use Word instead. A feature also copied by other CAT tools.

In some documents it will be good to have the "Real Thing", the source document, at least for reference. But in that case you will have to buy licenses for several software, InDesign, Quark, and many others. We don't receive only Word files from clients, there are several other formats.

And this "External View" created by the client, helps you to translate any file format (supported by Déjà Vu X) in Word.

Besides you can use Trados or Wordfast to translate these files. Make a copy of the file, translate the source column in Trados or Wordfast, clean, and then copy&paste the source column to the target column of the original file.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Other External View format Oct 14, 2011

If it is the table structure that puts you off, you might want to ask your client to give you the External View file in "Trados uncleaned" style. This is one of the External View options that Deja Vu X Workgroup (which is most probably the edition your client owns) offers. Still not the real thing, as it is still not in original layout, but it might look more familiar to you. I think your client will cooperate (I certainly would).

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
xliff Oct 14, 2011

xliff is another External View option in DVX, but I am not sure if your preferred CAT tool supports it or not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Déja Vu. Is it logical?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »