https://www.proz.com/forum/d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_support/209596-tmx_files_contain_unwanted_declaration_doctype_tmx_system_%22tmx14dtd%22.html&phpv_redirected=1

Tmx files contain unwanted declaration: !DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd"
Thread poster: sicallear
Oct 11, 2011

Our tmx exports (from DVX) contain the tmx files contain unwanted declaration: (!DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd")

This is causing problems for downstream systems.

As a result, we currently manually delete this line from the resulting tmx file.

Is there a setting within DVX which will stop this text appearing in our TMX files?

Typical TMX file reads:

(?xml version="1.0" ?)
(!DOCTYPE xml SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd")
(tmx ver
... See more
Our tmx exports (from DVX) contain the tmx files contain unwanted declaration: (!DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd")

This is causing problems for downstream systems.

As a result, we currently manually delete this line from the resulting tmx file.

Is there a setting within DVX which will stop this text appearing in our TMX files?

Typical TMX file reads:

(?xml version="1.0" ?)
(!DOCTYPE xml SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd")
(tmx version="1.4")

Thanks
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:25
English to Turkish
+ ...
downstream sytems Oct 11, 2011

AFAIK, TMX files exported from DVX are valid TMX files. There is no such setting to delete that line in DVX. But it looks like the other CAT tool (which one?) needs to add a few lines in its code to successfully import valid TMX files. You or the translator working with that specific CAT tool may ask it from developers of that CAT tool.

Regards,

Selcuk

Daniel Benito
Daniel Benito
Mexico
Local time: 22:25
Fixed in the next DVX2 build Oct 13, 2011

Simon,

The DOCTYPE declaration is technically not needed, but I'm surprised that other tools are actually complaining about its presence (which is perfectly legal). That said, since it doesn't server any useful purpose unless you're trying to validate the TMX file against the DTD, I've removed it from the TMX export code in DVX2 (the TMX files exported by TeaM Server don't have it, so there's nothing to fix there); the fix will be included in the next public build of DVX2.
... See more
Simon,

The DOCTYPE declaration is technically not needed, but I'm surprised that other tools are actually complaining about its presence (which is perfectly legal). That said, since it doesn't server any useful purpose unless you're trying to validate the TMX file against the DTD, I've removed it from the TMX export code in DVX2 (the TMX files exported by TeaM Server don't have it, so there's nothing to fix there); the fix will be included in the next public build of DVX2.

Regards,

Daniel
Collapse

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
Local time: 06:25
TMX DTD Oct 13, 2011

As Selcuk says, DVX produces TMX files tha conform to the TMX standard, specifically version 1.4 of the standard.

I have looked at the Document Type Definiton file for TMX (which, unfortunately, I am unable to attach here) and have found this in the first section of the DTD:

!-- TMX (Translation Memory eXchange)

Known as "-//LISA OSCAR:1998//DTD for Translation Memory eXchange//EN"
Use in TMX:

An SGML application conforming to:... See more
As Selcuk says, DVX produces TMX files tha conform to the TMX standard, specifically version 1.4 of the standard.

I have looked at the Document Type Definiton file for TMX (which, unfortunately, I am unable to attach here) and have found this in the first section of the DTD:

!-- TMX (Translation Memory eXchange)

Known as "-//LISA OSCAR:1998//DTD for Translation Memory eXchange//EN"
Use in TMX:

An SGML application conforming to:
- International Standard ISO 8879 Standard Generalized Markup Language,
- XML (Extensible Markup Language), W3C Recommendation

All TMX element and attribute names must be in lowercase.

--

As you can see, according to the DTD the declaration we use is consistent with the standard. Thus, other software that reads TMX files should be able to correctly interpret that declaration.

If you wish, I can send you the DTD file separately.

[Edited at 2011-10-13 17:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-13 17:09 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tmx files contain unwanted declaration: !DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »