Thread poster: Andreas Kobell
Andreas Kobell
Andreas Kobell  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sep 28, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I'm currently thinking about switching from Trados to Deja Vu or memoQ but there is an issue I have not been able to find an answer for. Usually the agencies I work for send me ttx files and often a corresponding ini file to use for the specific project.

If I only had Deja Vu available, would it be possible to process the ttx files and import the ini file settings? In case yes, I could spare myself the hassle to install Trados again on my new machine.
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm currently thinking about switching from Trados to Deja Vu or memoQ but there is an issue I have not been able to find an answer for. Usually the agencies I work for send me ttx files and often a corresponding ini file to use for the specific project.

If I only had Deja Vu available, would it be possible to process the ttx files and import the ini file settings? In case yes, I could spare myself the hassle to install Trados again on my new machine.

Many thanks for your help!

Best,
Andreas
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:40
English to Turkish
+ ...
Presegmentation Sep 28, 2011

Hi Andreas,

TTX files with or without ini files should always be presegmented by Trados (Workbench or TagEditor). You can do it yourself or ask your client to presegment all the file with the option "Segment unknown sentences" checked. This enables 100% compatibility as regards the segmentation rules.

Please read http://www.atril.com/en/faq-deja-vu
Is Déjà Vu compa
... See more
Hi Andreas,

TTX files with or without ini files should always be presegmented by Trados (Workbench or TagEditor). You can do it yourself or ask your client to presegment all the file with the option "Segment unknown sentences" checked. This enables 100% compatibility as regards the segmentation rules.

Please read http://www.atril.com/en/faq-deja-vu
Is Déjà Vu compatible with
- Other CAT tools?
- TTX
- How do I handle TTX (Trados Tageditor) files in DVX?

Regards,

Selcuk
Collapse

Andreas Kobell
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting workaround Sep 28, 2011

Hi Selcuk,

This seems to be a good workaround for my problem. However, this means I'm still bound to Trados. Looks like there is no real chance for a final escape, except asking the client / agency to do a little bit of extra work.

Anyway, thanks for your input! Very much appreciated!

Regards,
Andreas

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Same for Studio Sep 28, 2011

Hi Andreas,

This is the standard method, I mean presegmentation, even Studio needs presegmented TTX files. I have been using Déjà Vu X (and now Déjà Vu X2) for almost ten years for translating TTX files although I have a licensed copy of Trados.

Selcuk

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TGB for Déjà Vu X2 Professional Edition Sep 28, 2011

If you are planning to buy DVX don't miss that TGB http://www.proz.com/tgb/541

Professional Edition only for EUR 483 (it was EUR 900 last year).

Andreas Kobell
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Presegmentation and TGB Sep 28, 2011

Interesting! I have been using Trados 2007 so far and I did not know that Studio also requires presegmentation. About 95% of the ttx files I have been sent for translation have not been presegmented but this does not seem to be mandatory for TagEditor in Trados 20007.

And thanks for the hint regarding the TGB, I noticed the offer this morning and actually this is the reason why I'm asking about the ttx and ini issue... ... See more
Interesting! I have been using Trados 2007 so far and I did not know that Studio also requires presegmentation. About 95% of the ttx files I have been sent for translation have not been presegmented but this does not seem to be mandatory for TagEditor in Trados 20007.

And thanks for the hint regarding the TGB, I noticed the offer this morning and actually this is the reason why I'm asking about the ttx and ini issue...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

handling of ttx files and corresponding ini files in DV X2

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »