What you think about Déjà Vu
Thread poster: Shahrazed
Shahrazed
Shahrazed
Local time: 02:44
English Middle (ca.1100-1500) to French
Dec 1, 2010

I'm doing a presentation about Déjà Vu and I wanted to know if there are any of you who are using or have once used it in their translation work.Your opinion is really important for my work,so do not hesitate to tell me what you think about it,what advantages you think it has ans what shortcomings you didn't like about it.
Thanks everyone.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
all the time Dec 1, 2010

Shahrazed wrote:

I'm doing a presentation about Déjà Vu and I wanted to know if there are any of you who are using or have once used it in their translation work.Your opinion is really important for my work,so do not hesitate to tell me what you think about it,what advantages you think it has ans what shortcomings you didn't like about it.
Thanks everyone.

I use it all the time (for years now) and I love it. An intuitive, user-friendly, efficient software.
Ewa

[Edited at 2010-12-01 19:59 GMT]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Dec 1, 2010

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak) wrote:

Shahrazed wrote:

Thanks everyone.

I use it all the time (for years now) and I love it. An intuitive, user-friendly, efficient software.
Ewa

Seconded! But development is urgently needed. The new version is LOOOONG overdue.

Herbert Eppel
Herbert Eppel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:44
German to English
+ ...
"Thirded" Dec 1, 2010

"Thirded". I'm a long-standing DejaVu fan.
For detailed discussions of DejaVu issues see the user group at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/

Lily Pan
Lily Pan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
English to Chinese
Dejavu, not a good one of segmentation Dec 1, 2010

The Trados Studio 2009 seems much like the Dejavu, at least its software interface and some features. Though studio 2009 is announced from another sdl product - SDLX, or Trados, or Idiom.

I was sometimes so confused why Dejavu take so little piece of cake - it came into the market much earlier than Studio 2009. But after using Dejavu, I was aware that it is not very convenient to handle some popular file formats, such as .inx, .fm.

Of course, Dejavu does support most fi
... See more
The Trados Studio 2009 seems much like the Dejavu, at least its software interface and some features. Though studio 2009 is announced from another sdl product - SDLX, or Trados, or Idiom.

I was sometimes so confused why Dejavu take so little piece of cake - it came into the market much earlier than Studio 2009. But after using Dejavu, I was aware that it is not very convenient to handle some popular file formats, such as .inx, .fm.

Of course, Dejavu does support most file formats, even the .indd/.inx and .fm. But its segmenting (converting the inx/indd/fm text content into pieces for translation) result is entirely out of acceptable range - one sentence with some tags is divided into many segments, or some tags should be protected is not protected - this makes the content much difficult for understanding and translation.

I'm not sure whether Dejavu team has been aware this issue or not, but I tried several Dejavu versions, unfortunately no improvement has been found so far.

We really need a competitive one to balance CAT market, or I'm afraid we have to pay more and more for Trados Studio 20xx.

[Edited at 2010-12-01 15:06 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:44
German to English
Long-time user Dec 1, 2010

I've been using the program since late 1997.
Advantages:
Project-specific lexicon: if you have a one-off job with a lot of products or personal names, you can use the lexicon rather than fill up the terminology database with "useless" material.

Auto-assemble from fragments: This assembles terms/phrases from the terminology database and the translation memory. This is great if you have a lot of repetitions of phrases or terms.

Easy to use terminology database
... See more
I've been using the program since late 1997.
Advantages:
Project-specific lexicon: if you have a one-off job with a lot of products or personal names, you can use the lexicon rather than fill up the terminology database with "useless" material.

Auto-assemble from fragments: This assembles terms/phrases from the terminology database and the translation memory. This is great if you have a lot of repetitions of phrases or terms.

Easy to use terminology database: Trados SDL's MultiTerm is great if you're a lexicographer or need to put together a multilingual terminology database for a corporation. However, if you only need a bilingual database, DVX is much easier to manage and use. It's seamlessly integrated into the user interface. Importing/exporting terminology is fairly straightforward (can take some time, but the computer does all the work).

Disadvantages:
Not wysiwyg, that is, the display doesn't reflect what the text actually looks like in the document(super/subscripts, underlining, etc. are represented by codes).

Interoperability with other CAT tool formats. If I want to translate a TagEditor file with DVX, I need to make sure of the presegmentation in TagEditor, translate the file in DVX, then run it through TagEditor again. I've found that when translating Word files presegmented by Workbench, DVX sometimes skips a segment or two. I've found creating xml filters to be cumbersome in DVX, and since I've grown less interested in the "geeky" details of CAT tools, I'd rather be spared the effort.

Development: When the original developer was still alive, bug fixes were issued quite regularly, and requested features were often included in the next update. However the business model (free updates, no charge except for major releases) didn't really provide Atril enough financial incentive to develop the program to keep it competitive.

Advantage/disadvantage: currently uses a dongle. It's a lot easier than SDL's arcane license retrieval scheme, and I've never damaged or lost my dongle. However, dongles do break, get lost and in some environments, degrade.

Every translator feels about his/her CAT tool the way others feel about their political party, religion or favorite ice cream.

As a side note: I've been doing more projects in MemoQ these days. Kilgray, the developer, is learning from the mistakes of other CAT tool developers.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
TM maintenance Dec 1, 2010

I have licences for Trados and DVX.

Currently I prefer Trados Studio, mainly because I find it quicker and easier to use than DVX, particularly for TM maintenance. It will be interesting to see what DVX2 - due out last June! - looks like, though.

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
I dropped Trados for DVX Dec 1, 2010

Hi,

I dropped Trados, which I had been using since version 3 because I didn't know there were other tools, when I discovered DéjaVu X.
In addition to the characteristics that Kevin mentioned, I like the possibility to translate several files of different formats inside one project. I can even import a whole directory - or only a certain kind of files from that directory, e.g. only the .doc files. The way DVX handles tags makes it possible to find 100% matches across the diff
... See more
Hi,

I dropped Trados, which I had been using since version 3 because I didn't know there were other tools, when I discovered DéjaVu X.
In addition to the characteristics that Kevin mentioned, I like the possibility to translate several files of different formats inside one project. I can even import a whole directory - or only a certain kind of files from that directory, e.g. only the .doc files. The way DVX handles tags makes it possible to find 100% matches across the different file formats, while the same sentence won't necessarily give a 100% match in Trados between a Word doc and a TagEditor file because of tags.

I'm also impatient to see DVX2!
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
DVX is a strong and very convenient CAT tool... Dec 1, 2010

Hi,
together with MemoQ, SDLX, Trados 2007, Trados Studio (alphabetical order), DVX deserves sureley to be called one of the best CAT tools on the market.

The Pros:

Although DVX is feature-loaded, you never feel overhelmed because the interface and project management can be used straightforward and learned quickly. DVX also comes along with a tutorial and excellent documentation.
Great Filtering possibilities.
Superior Database management (compared to
... See more
Hi,
together with MemoQ, SDLX, Trados 2007, Trados Studio (alphabetical order), DVX deserves sureley to be called one of the best CAT tools on the market.

The Pros:

Although DVX is feature-loaded, you never feel overhelmed because the interface and project management can be used straightforward and learned quickly. DVX also comes along with a tutorial and excellent documentation.
Great Filtering possibilities.
Superior Database management (compared to the other tools); you can export/import in a lot of formats.
In my opinion the best working interface of all tools (as good as MemoQ), very fast and responsive, also fully compatible with Dragon Naturally Speaking which I tested days ago.

Also, thank you Daniel Benito to provide a personal very good support!

Contras:

Actually, I have very few to critic in DVX.
I would like more settings prior of aligning files (segmentation settings)
The import of big databases is very slow, but once imported they work surprisingly fast.

DVX2 will have Term Extraction technology, an advanced Autotext (like Trados Studio) and lots of improvements. Visit atril.com for the full picture.
I'd like to see it soon!

Greets,
Mike
Collapse

mirekk
mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Disaster Oct 10, 2012

Maybe when you start your adveenture with CAT from DVX and build your TM from the scratch it works. I started with Trados and waned to taste some new flavors. I tried Fluency, Across, Wordfast, DVX2 and MemoQ. Importing tmx was always a breeze, except for DVX2. I had to jump through so many hoops - when I tried to import tmx Deja Vu crashed, I finally managed to fidn a detour (via Olifant) and import text file. B DVX still did not work correctly, TM view showed no entries (despite declaring cert... See more
Maybe when you start your adveenture with CAT from DVX and build your TM from the scratch it works. I started with Trados and waned to taste some new flavors. I tried Fluency, Across, Wordfast, DVX2 and MemoQ. Importing tmx was always a breeze, except for DVX2. I had to jump through so many hoops - when I tried to import tmx Deja Vu crashed, I finally managed to fidn a detour (via Olifant) and import text file. B DVX still did not work correctly, TM view showed no entries (despite declaring certain number of entries after completion of import) and kept crashing. I had no problems whatsoever with other CATs, honest, and they all worked fine. For me DVX2 is a piece of junk... Finally I gave up and bought MemoQ.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What you think about Déjà Vu

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »