Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:57
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2010

Well, now I'm up and running on Windows 7, Office 2010, DVX Standard build 3.5.5.

I'm working on what I think is my first .docx import and to my alarm, a number of words have not been imported.

These seem to be some (but not all!) proper nouns and/or figures.

In most cases, there is nothing to indicate this. One segment stops before the missing words (e.g. "European Commission") and the next one starts after them.

Is this a DVX bug, or is there
... See more
Well, now I'm up and running on Windows 7, Office 2010, DVX Standard build 3.5.5.

I'm working on what I think is my first .docx import and to my alarm, a number of words have not been imported.

These seem to be some (but not all!) proper nouns and/or figures.

In most cases, there is nothing to indicate this. One segment stops before the missing words (e.g. "European Commission") and the next one starts after them.

Is this a DVX bug, or is there an option in Word 2010 I need to switch off?

Thanks for your feedback!
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bump Mar 6, 2011

I'm still having this problem. Seems to occur when there's some kind of (hidden) tag round the Word in word. Anyone out there encountered this and/or a solution?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
smart tags? Mar 6, 2011

I still use Word 2003 but it seems that smart tags are embedded in your document. In Word 2003 one can disable it under Tools>Options>Save>Embed smart tags. There should be a similar function, checkbox in Word 2010 as well.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Smart tags are deprecated in Word 2010 Mar 6, 2011

If you have a look at what functionality has been discontinued in Office 2010, you'll find that smart tags are no longer used in Word and Excel 2010.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
opening an older file with 2010 Mar 6, 2011

What happens then if you open a Word 2003 or 2007 document with embedded smart tags in Word 2010? There should be traces of embedded tags hidden in the file but not displayed by 2010. DVX will import them as codes.

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What happens opening older Word files in 2010 Mar 7, 2011

In my experience DVX inserts a segment break, but no code, and does not include the word (proper noun, etc). It then appears as per the original in the exported text.

At first glance there doesn't seem to be a way of turning off smart tags from previous versions of Word in Word 2010 options. Can anybody find one?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2010 import into DVX misses proper nouns, figures

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »