Low profile dongle
Thread poster: QUOI
QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2010

Wonder if Atril will consider producing a low profile dongle like the one shown so it can be left plugged in the notebook and I don't have to worry about breaking or losing it (unless of course I lose the notebook)...

[Edited at 2010-10-29 06:18 GMT]

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
Local time: 15:00
German to English
+ ...
Excellent idea Oct 29, 2010

I have one of these for my MS mouse (wireless mobile mouse 6000) and it is miles better than the rather lengthy DVX dongle.

Like you, I'm always worried I'll snap it off somehow!

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
. Oct 29, 2010

excellent idea indeed!

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Small means losable Oct 29, 2010

I'll put my hand up to having broken one of these, but then again the smaller it is, the easier to lose.

These days, I attach memory sticks with precious data on to absolutely huge lanyards so they don't go astray.

It's probably time for some dongleless technology.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
. Oct 29, 2010

Eutychus wrote:

I'll put my hand up to having broken one of these, but then again the smaller it is, the easier to lose.

These days, I attach memory sticks with precious data on to absolutely huge lanyards so they don't go astray.

It's probably time for some dongleless technology.

IMHO it is not so much about loosing a dongle, but accidental snapping it off, especially when you 'migrate' with your laptop around a house.
Pro dongleless? I don't know. I guess it would be more difficult to switch between computers.

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
then again you could just unplug it (shh!!) Oct 29, 2010

Well, I've lost more memory sticks than I've broken DVX dongles... I guess if you could leave it plugged in permanently without fear of breaking it that would be ok.

By the way, don't tell anyone, but if you open DVX, set up a project with a translation memory and send even part of the project to the translation memory, you can then do just about anything else you want (import and export files, use the TM, etc) without leaving the don
... See more
Well, I've lost more memory sticks than I've broken DVX dongles... I guess if you could leave it plugged in permanently without fear of breaking it that would be ok.

By the way, don't tell anyone, but if you open DVX, set up a project with a translation memory and send even part of the project to the translation memory, you can then do just about anything else you want (import and export files, use the TM, etc) without leaving the dongle in, so long as you don't close DVX or reboot your computer.

I work this way virtually all the time with my laptop. I usually carry the dongle (on an enormous lanyard ) with me just in case I have to reboot, but otherwise don't leave it plugged in to avoid all those snapping issues.

[Edited at 2010-10-29 10:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-10-29 10:27 GMT]
Collapse

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
Low profile dongles Jul 23, 2012

The manufacturer of the dongles does not provide any models like this, so we don't either.

I can ask about the availability of models like the one pictured.

On the other hand, in spite of the superficial similarity, hardware dongles and flash storage devices are very different things, so comparisons between them may not be as informative as one would assume.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Low profile dongle

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »