Anna Lie
Anna Lie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2010

Dear All,

I have been using DVX for some time, and was recently asked, for the first time, to import a Trados memory into my software.

According to client, there was only supposed to me around 12,000 "new words", as the rest (total of around 50,000 words), would be pretranslated.

Now, I imported the TMX file they sent me, according to instructions found online. When imported into DVX my analysis showed more than 20,000 new words.

I would be rea
... See more
Dear All,

I have been using DVX for some time, and was recently asked, for the first time, to import a Trados memory into my software.

According to client, there was only supposed to me around 12,000 "new words", as the rest (total of around 50,000 words), would be pretranslated.

Now, I imported the TMX file they sent me, according to instructions found online. When imported into DVX my analysis showed more than 20,000 new words.

I would be really grateful if someone could explain what the reason for this might be (in simple terms if possible, am not particular technically-minded), and how to fix it so that all matches are displayed correctly in DVX.

Ps. I checked against a reference document and there were definitely supposed to be more matches than displayed in DVX, so it was not a case of the client being "over optimistic".

Grateful for any advice!
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
French to Polish
+ ...
Different algorithms and segmentation rules... Jul 20, 2010

Anna Lie wrote:

I would be really grateful if someone could explain what the reason for this might be (in simple terms if possible, am not particular technically-minded), and how to fix it so that all matches are displayed correctly in DVX.

Ps. I checked against a reference document and there were definitely supposed to be more matches than displayed in DVX, so it was not a case of the client being "over optimistic".

It may be normal.
As the matching algorithms and the default segmentation in Trados and DVX are different, some matches may not be recognized.

IMO the best approach for the CAT hopping is to use the source CAT ti pretranslate (in this way you're sure the TM is leveraged), then work in your preferred one.

Cheers
GG

Anna Lie
Anna Lie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cost issue Jul 20, 2010

Thanks. The problem is of course the cost. I got used to DVX when I worked in-house, and didn't want to swap to Trados to go freelance.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
French to Polish
+ ...
Ask a friend... Jul 20, 2010

Anna Lie wrote:

Thanks. The problem is of course the cost. I got used to DVX when I worked in-house, and didn't want to swap to Trados to go freelance.

So, ask a friend to prepare the text for you.

PS
If nobody can do it for you, I'll be back online in approx. 2 hours.
Contact me at grzegorz at gryc pl, if necessary.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing TMX into DVX: Matches missing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »