Letters with diacritics aren't being recognized
Thread poster: Rosemary Nguyen
Rosemary Nguyen
Rosemary Nguyen
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Apr 29, 2010

I'm hoping that someone else who works with a language that uses diacritics has encountered something similar, and can give me suggestions of how to deal with this...

I am using Deja Vu Pro Version 7.5.316 on Windows Vista. I type in Vietnamese using unicode (UTF-8). Vietnamese uses the roman alphabet with diacritics. I use a third-party software (WinVNKey) to type the diacritics. For years it has worked just fine, but recently (past six months), when I move between cells in Deja Vu
... See more
I'm hoping that someone else who works with a language that uses diacritics has encountered something similar, and can give me suggestions of how to deal with this...

I am using Deja Vu Pro Version 7.5.316 on Windows Vista. I type in Vietnamese using unicode (UTF-8). Vietnamese uses the roman alphabet with diacritics. I use a third-party software (WinVNKey) to type the diacritics. For years it has worked just fine, but recently (past six months), when I move between cells in Deja Vu (by pressing Alt+Down, or Ctrl+Down) the typing software would shut off so that I could not type the diacritics. I had to turn it on again manually. This did not happen every time, so while a nuisance I could handle it.

More recently, I've been having a problem even when I move the cursor around within the cell. I'm typing along, say, and decide to change a word. I use the mouse to move the cursor back to the word I want to change and begin typing. Now, every letter that has a diacritic displays as a question mark, as though Deja Vu is not recognizing it. I can fix the problem by typing the keyboard shortcut that turns WinVNKey on (I guess it reset WinVNKey), but this really slows me down, not to mention interrupts my concentration!

The strange thing is, I have not made any changes to either Deja Vu or WinVNKey that might have caused the problem. I also have the Windows Auto Update feature turned off and have not made any updates to my computer recently.

Things I have tried to fix the problem: repair project, TM and Term Database. Upgrade Deja Vu and WinVNKey. I've looked through all the various features to see if there is any feature (like autocorrect, which sometimes causes a problem with the VNese fonts) that I can turn off. I can't find anything.

Any suggestions?
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:00
German to English
+ ...
Support May 1, 2010

I would suggest writing to [email protected] with a description of the problem.
I don't know whether they will be around over the weekend, but they are generally helpful with queries like this, although they may need to do some research.
It's worth telling them what build of DVX you use now and what build you used before the upgrade.

Rosemary Nguyen
Rosemary Nguyen
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 2, 2010

Thanks, Victor. I guess I'll try that again. I communicated with -- I think it was Javier? -- years ago about this issue and his response was basically that it is a third party software issue so he can't do anything about it. At the time I solved the problem by finding a different third party software that seemed to work with DVX. Unfortunately it is now acting up as well.

While I sympathize with Deja Vu's response to this issue, the problem for my language group is that pretty muc
... See more
Thanks, Victor. I guess I'll try that again. I communicated with -- I think it was Javier? -- years ago about this issue and his response was basically that it is a third party software issue so he can't do anything about it. At the time I solved the problem by finding a different third party software that seemed to work with DVX. Unfortunately it is now acting up as well.

While I sympathize with Deja Vu's response to this issue, the problem for my language group is that pretty much all of us (everyone I know, anyway) uses the third party keyboard software. This is because the keyboard that is set up in Windows is uneccesarily difficult to use -- the diacritics are all set up on the number keys, which are harder to reach, rather than using letter keys which Vietnamese does not use and are easier to reach like j, f, w etc. It was probably designed by someone who doesn't actually type Vietnamese. I've tried creating a custom keyboard in Windows but no luck so far. I know that Vietnamese is a language of limited diffusion, but honestly if Deja Vu wants to reel in more Vietnamese customers it would help if they would look at this.

Do all of you that work in other languages use the Windows keyboards? Do you use third party keyboards? If so, does Deja Vu help troubleshoot issues with your keyboards?

[Edited at 2010-05-02 21:34 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Letters with diacritics aren't being recognized

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »