Thread poster: laure claesen
laure claesen
laure claesen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:45
Member (2005)
English to French
Mar 7, 2010

I got an order in Wordfast which I am not familiar to and as it was a large project and I needed to be comfortable, I did it in DejaVu, my usual CAT (miaou)

I thought I could export the memory as TMX and use it in Wordfast but now I am bogged in the formats. So it's getting wordslow instead.

If someone has already done that and can explain the procedure I would greatly appreciate their support.

Million thanks

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:45
English to Turkish
+ ...
Wordfast Pro or Classic Mar 7, 2010

Hi Laure,

The normal procedure with Wordfast PRO and Classic and Trados Workbench Bilingual and Tageditor files is to prepare the file first in those CAT tools. That is you have to segment all contents in Wordfast or Trados. The reason for presegmentation is that all CAT tools use different segmentation rules.

In your case, you can either export the TM as a TMX file and use it in WordFast, or prepare the file first in WordFast and then retranslate in DVX.

P
... See more
Hi Laure,

The normal procedure with Wordfast PRO and Classic and Trados Workbench Bilingual and Tageditor files is to prepare the file first in those CAT tools. That is you have to segment all contents in Wordfast or Trados. The reason for presegmentation is that all CAT tools use different segmentation rules.

In your case, you can either export the TM as a TMX file and use it in WordFast, or prepare the file first in WordFast and then retranslate in DVX.

Please clarify which version of WordFast you are using.

[Edited at 2010-03-07 19:17 GMT]
Collapse

laure claesen
laure claesen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:45
Member (2005)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Converting a DejaVu memo to use into Wordfast Mar 7, 2010

Hi Selkuk

Many thanks for your reply.

I'll try to explain the whole experience.

I just downloaded a demo version of Wordfast. I don't really know how to use the software except intuitively based on my knowledge of DejaVu.

Therefore, rather than just groping in the dark, I used DejaVu for the translation.

Then I thought I could export the memory in TMX format, import it into Wordfast, and run the translation process, expecting to
... See more
Hi Selkuk

Many thanks for your reply.

I'll try to explain the whole experience.

I just downloaded a demo version of Wordfast. I don't really know how to use the software except intuitively based on my knowledge of DejaVu.

Therefore, rather than just groping in the dark, I used DejaVu for the translation.

Then I thought I could export the memory in TMX format, import it into Wordfast, and run the translation process, expecting to see all the segments from the TM propagate themselves in Wordfast. In other words, my expectation was to see the features I am familiar with also work in Wordfast.

Obviously, I don't think I managed to attach the TMX memory created from my DVX memo to the Wordfast project provided by my client (source only, no memory provided).

When I tried, nothing happened, as if the memory was empty.

Or was it the wrong format?

This is a critical question because what I would just do is to provide my client with the memo in a format Wordfast can run and that would do.

But the confirmation I need then, is: can Wordfast use TMX format for memories ?

Once again, many many thanks for your help.

Laure
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
WordFast versions Mar 7, 2010

We have solutions for both WordFast Classic and WordFast Pro.

But it is not clear in your messages which version you are using.

WordFast Classic is a macro toolbar in MS Word (like the Trados toolbar in Word)
However, WordFast Pro is a standalone program (like DVX).

I really cannot remember if TMX files can be used in both versions of Wordfast. AFAIR, Wordfast TM is in text format.

Anyway, assuming that the file was not pretranslated (th
... See more
We have solutions for both WordFast Classic and WordFast Pro.

But it is not clear in your messages which version you are using.

WordFast Classic is a macro toolbar in MS Word (like the Trados toolbar in Word)
However, WordFast Pro is a standalone program (like DVX).

I really cannot remember if TMX files can be used in both versions of Wordfast. AFAIR, Wordfast TM is in text format.

Anyway, assuming that the file was not pretranslated (that is it does not have any previous translations), I will try to give details for both versions.

For WordFast Classic:

Open the file in Word
Please check that Wordfast Toolbar is open.
If it is not, you can use Tools>Templates and Add-ins>Templates and check wordfast.dot
Press on the Wordfast button (f), under Tools press Translate, this will pretranslate the file with an empty TM (using the segmentation rules of Wordfast). Save and close.
Import this file to DVX using the Trados WorkBench filter, ensure that Prevent segmentation is checked.
Use your TM to pretranslate the file in DVX.

For WordFast Pro:

Open the file in Wordfast Pro And copy all source segments to target, using the command Ctrl+Alt+Ins
Save and close the file.
Import the file into DVX using the Wordfast 6 TXML filter. You can find it at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/files/Wordfast%206/
AFAIR, prevent segmentation box should be checked when importing the file.
Use your TM to pretranslate the file in DVX.

Don't expect so many hundred percent matches because of different segmentation rules and codes.

You can find detailed information on translating Wordfast Classic and Pro (aka Wordfast 6) files using DVX at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/

Selcuk
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 04:45
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Olifant will do ... Mar 8, 2010

...the trick. It converts from TMX to Wordfast TM and back and helps to detect problems with the TMs.

Download it from: http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Did I mention that it is free?

Saludos

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Wf2Tmx Mar 8, 2010

There is also another free tool for converting TMX files to Wordfast TM format or vice versa. AFAIR, you can download Wf2Tmx from http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/files/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting a DejaVu memo to use into Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »