Next Release of DejaVu (DejaVu 8)
Thread poster: Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Member (2008)
German to English
Jan 30, 2010

I have been using DejaVu X for almost 2 years and like most people have been mostly very happy, with just the odd technical glitch here and there, with the Word import filter being my only real issue.

I have been hoping for a while that with the release of the new versions of Transit and Trados, there would also be a new version of DejaVu on the horizon.

Judging by posts made on this forum, it seems that a new version (DejaVu 8) is indeed on the way, so I would just lik
... See more
I have been using DejaVu X for almost 2 years and like most people have been mostly very happy, with just the odd technical glitch here and there, with the Word import filter being my only real issue.

I have been hoping for a while that with the release of the new versions of Transit and Trados, there would also be a new version of DejaVu on the horizon.

Judging by posts made on this forum, it seems that a new version (DejaVu 8) is indeed on the way, so I would just like to enquire as to whether anyone knows:

a) What new features/improvements this version will contain
b) When it is likely to be released
c) How much an upgrade from DVX Professional to an equivalent Deja Vu 8 licence is likely to cost

It would be great to have some information on this, as for a long time DejaVu really did seem like one of the best tools out there and it is only now started to look a little dated after the release of the next generation of tools from the major CAT tool producers.
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
French to English
+ ...
I made a note of what Daniel Benito said at the Proz Virtual Conference Jan 30, 2010

Rob Edwards wrote:
a) What new features/improvements this version will contain
b) When it is likely to be released
c) How much an upgrade from DVX Professional to an equivalent Deja Vu 8 licence is likely to cost

As far as a) is concerned he said:
- support for new formats, including SDL 2009 (already done to a certain extent with 7.5.316),
- enhanced QA rules using SQL saved to run in batch,
- parts of interface simplified, including templates to create projects with fewer clicks,
- improved fuzzy match repair and assemble of portions.

At other times, he's publically mentioned code being "rewritten and re-structured" to allow multi-core processor multithreading and "do read-ahead operations while having background threads running searches and writing data to the AutoSearch cache" which "will probably have a significant effect on speed".
I also remember him mentioning some sort of AutoSuggest/AutoComplete "far superior to SDL's".
The other day there was also talk of a faster, revamped data base engine using SQL Server instead of MS Jet (Access).

With regard to b), Daniel said at the conference "DVX 8 beta probably by the end of this year (2009) and a final version in Q1 or Q2 or 2010". The other day Javier said "middle of 2010".

Concerning c), I believe he said, "probably 50% to upgrade from DVX 7 to DVX 8" and free upgrades thereafter within that version. This may have changed of course, but would be in line with what they have always done.

Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you David Jan 30, 2010

Many thanks David.

The move away from Jet sounds like a good move, as does the autocomplete feature ....

Rob

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:59
English to Turkish
+ ...
MS Access vs SQL Jan 30, 2010

MS Access have some limitations related to the size of projects and translation memories. But for years, I was used to open/edit DVX files with MS Access when required. So I am not happy with the SQL route.

AFAIK, the multi-core processor multithreading will be the most difficult but important development.

Support for new formats, in particular xliff, is of course important, but the SDLXLIFF filter, although it works great, was not so urgent. Agencies will continue u
... See more
MS Access have some limitations related to the size of projects and translation memories. But for years, I was used to open/edit DVX files with MS Access when required. So I am not happy with the SQL route.

AFAIK, the multi-core processor multithreading will be the most difficult but important development.

Support for new formats, in particular xliff, is of course important, but the SDLXLIFF filter, although it works great, was not so urgent. Agencies will continue using Trados 2007 for long years, and I don't think any agency will send a Trados 2009 project.
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:59
English to Japanese
+ ...
Connect to SQL databese from MS Access Jan 30, 2010

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

It has been always possible via an ODBC connection and it will be, and so not to worry. There was a time when I was creating forms with Access as a frontend with SQL as backend!

This is a good move, and I love it - behold the power of SQL!

Rie

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:59
English to Turkish
+ ...
ODBC connection Jan 31, 2010

I tried it once but it was not successful, is there a guide for dummies?
Any details will be appreciated.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
French to Polish
+ ...
Multithreading and DB engine in DVX, Trados, MemoQ... Jan 31, 2010

David Turner wrote:

At other times, he's publically mentioned code being "rewritten and re-structured" to allow multi-core processor multithreading and "do read-ahead operations while having background threads running searches and writing data to the AutoSearch cache" which "will probably have a significant effect on speed".

This kind of multithreading and tasks in the background may be a killah.
MQ4 is able to run tasks in the background on multiple processors but not for read-ahead.
Trados 2009 Studio is strictly one task tool.
Innovation deli... de... deferred...

The other day there was also talk of a faster, revamped data base engine using SQL Server instead of MS Jet (Access).

As Daniel said during the virtual Proz conference, DVX 8 will use MS Jet.
As I understood, SQL will be used in some future version.

Both MQ and Trados 2009 use SQL engines.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-01-31 17:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Next Release of DejaVu (DejaVu 8)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »