New DVX prices...
Thread poster: Grzegorz Gryc
David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:58
French to English
+ ...
I don't know what their future policy will be... Jan 28, 2010

... but if you look at their past policy, going back to 1993 or thereabouts, DV must be one of the cheapest tools, when considered as a long-term investment over a number of years.
Many current users of DVX started with DV1, 2 or 3 back in the 1990s. AFAIK, all upgrades of DV1, 2 and 3 were free from 1993 to 2003 until a completely new product, DVX, was released. DV3 users could update to DVX for around 100 euros I believe, *AND* keep their DV3 dongle. You ended up with two great products
... See more
... but if you look at their past policy, going back to 1993 or thereabouts, DV must be one of the cheapest tools, when considered as a long-term investment over a number of years.
Many current users of DVX started with DV1, 2 or 3 back in the 1990s. AFAIK, all upgrades of DV1, 2 and 3 were free from 1993 to 2003 until a completely new product, DVX, was released. DV3 users could update to DVX for around 100 euros I believe, *AND* keep their DV3 dongle. You ended up with two great products as well as free support throughout. No yearly upgrade fees, pay-for support and old-licence-returning-and-reregistering palava.
Since 2003, all DVX upgrades have been free, including the latest one, 7.5.316, released at the end of 2009.
Why on earth would they suddenly make drastic changes to their policy with DV8?
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bad look... Jan 28, 2010

David Turner wrote:

IMO yes, it is.
The problem is it doesn't look so for newcomers.
Most people don't understand tthe TCO, they see only the initial price.
DVX is a looser here.

Many current users of DVX started with DV1, 2 or 3 back in the 1990s. AFAIK, all upgrades of DV1, 2 and 3 were free from 1993 to 2003 until a completely new product, DVX, was released. DV3 users could update to DVX for around 100 euros I believe, *AND* keep their DV3 dongle.

So I did

You ended up with two great products as well as free support throughout. No yearly upgrade fees, pay-for support and old-licence-returning-and-reregistering palava.

The fact Atril still uses dongles is exceptional now.
I love it.

Since 2003, all DVX upgrades have been free, including the latest one, 7.5.316, released at the end of 2009.

As a rather old DVX user, I can't complain.
Try to explain it to the prospects.

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Inefficient communication... solved... Jan 28, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

This week, I sent two e-mails to Atril.[...][/quote]

Solved.
Approx. 30 minutes on mail and one bug less.
DVX licenses for translation schools on the road.
You can do it.

Cheers
GG

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 03:58
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Yes, but the question is whether it is worthwhile to buy their current version Jan 28, 2010

David Turner wrote:

However, with the new version coming out in supposedly 5 or six months, and the current pro version being sold for 800 EUR, one cannot be sure whether this price + the upgrade price (which Atril take no obligation about), or even the version correspondence (Standard - Pro - Workgroup) will make it worthwhile to buy at the current prices.

David Turner wrote:

Things have changed a lot since 1993. With MemoQ charging an yearly fee and Trados shelling out a new half-baked version every year (which is about the same), will the third big player dare to remain different?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrades Jan 28, 2010

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

However, with the new version coming out in supposedly 5 or six months, and the current pro version being sold for 800 EUR, one cannot be sure whether this price + the upgrade price (which Atril take no obligation about), or even the version correspondence (Standard - Pro - Workgroup) will make it worthwhile to buy at the current prices.

It's te reason why I didn't upgrade my second Pro to Workgroup now.

David Turner wrote:

Things have changed a lot since 1993. With MemoQ charging an yearly fee and Trados shelling out a new half-baked version every year (which is about the same), will the third big player dare to remain different?

Well, some DV 9 is already planned, AFAIK.

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:58
English to Turkish
+ ...
DV 9 Jan 28, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Cheers
GG

To be released in 2019

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DV data base engine Jan 28, 2010

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

To be released in 2019

Probably faster

The data base engine should be revamped "shortly", i.e. MS Jet (Access) will be replaced by some SQL server.

So, it's another milestone in the... huh... roadmap...

Cheers
GG

John Taylor
John Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:58
German to English
+ ...
Confusion reigns... What price is the upgrade?! Mar 3, 2010

I've been using an evaluation licence for DVX to give it a go. I would like to buy DVX asap, but... I also want to know what upgrade is going to cost me.

I sent this to Atril directly and to Powerling:

I would, in principle, like to take advantage of this offer [the cut price deal for the Pro version - Atril sent me the offer because I downloaded the evaluation, and Powerling sent me the offer because I'd asked about their prices a while ago]. However, I cannot get an a
... See more
I've been using an evaluation licence for DVX to give it a go. I would like to buy DVX asap, but... I also want to know what upgrade is going to cost me.

I sent this to Atril directly and to Powerling:

I would, in principle, like to take advantage of this offer [the cut price deal for the Pro version - Atril sent me the offer because I downloaded the evaluation, and Powerling sent me the offer because I'd asked about their prices a while ago]. However, I cannot get an answer regarding
your upgrade policy to version 8 (whenever it is released). What will be
the upgrade price or will purchasing now include free upgrade?

Reply from Powerling:
The upgrade to the new version is going to cost 395€.

Reply from Atril:
Any customers who purchase Déjà Vu X 6 as many as 6 months before the release of the next version will not be required to purchase an upgrade to the new version.

Quite apart from the fact that the version I'm evaluating is 7.5.316(!), this is seriously poor communication considering I AM VERY KEEN TO BUY THE PRODUCT. It is - quite simply - insane.

a) If the upgrade is going to be free, that's a major advantage, so you publish it loud and clear,

and

b) if the upgrade isn't going to be free, it's extremely bad marketing to make massive price cuts without stating that fact. I.e., version 8 could cost 660 € PLUS 395 € = 1055 € ...

Very confused.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New DVX prices...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »