Thread poster: Marie Melinon
Marie Melinon
Marie Melinon  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:12
English to French
+ ...
Jan 19, 2010

I am running DVX Workgroup (with a dongle) on Windows XP Pro. I have 2 other colleagues using it on a shared basis. We create multilingual projects (saved on a shared drive) and all of us input their translations, then send to translation memory.

Since a few month now, I have noticed that I don't get as much matches as my colleagues do. When they do, I check which projects their matches come from and then I open the relevant project just to notice that my translation is not in the m
... See more
I am running DVX Workgroup (with a dongle) on Windows XP Pro. I have 2 other colleagues using it on a shared basis. We create multilingual projects (saved on a shared drive) and all of us input their translations, then send to translation memory.

Since a few month now, I have noticed that I don't get as much matches as my colleagues do. When they do, I check which projects their matches come from and then I open the relevant project just to notice that my translation is not in the memory. I can see that by checking the AutoSearch box which is usually showing the sentences already in the memory during the translation process.
Being several times in this situation, I decided to re-send some of those translations to the memory in several different ways:
- Clicking on Send Project to Translation Memory
- Pressing Ctrl+Down Arrow for each segment (having checked in Options that this action was sending to the Translation Memory)
- Clicking Add Pair to Translation Memory for each segment, plus pressing Ctrl+Down Arrow for each segment.
Those ways work temporarily. I know this sounds strange.
Some minutes after, when I check again that everything is still back in place, all has gone!

Also, strangely enough, when I pretranslate some new documents, the memory can sometimes find some matches where it finds it for the other languages. But it is very random.

I am quite desperate at the moment, because the main feature of this tool is actually not working or only partially for me.

I have already checked in Project>Properties>Databases. Both database and translation memories are set up and the same way for each of the languages. As per databases/memories settings, all the boxes are ticked except the "Reverse" one for the secondary memory, as advised by the Déjà-Vu trainer.

Anyone in the same kind of setting come across such an issue?
Can you see something I explained that doesn't seem right for you?
Any advice?

I am so desperate, I am just about to go back to the Old Age way - Word document table... or maybe downloading the free version of Wordfast.

Thanks a lot for those who know DV to give me their opinion and possible solutions.

Marie
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Varia Jan 19, 2010

Marie Melinon wrote:

I am running DVX Workgroup (with a dongle) on Windows XP Pro. I have 2 other colleagues using it on a shared basis.

File based or COM+?
I have no experience with COM+ but I share files using Pro and Wrkg.

We create multilingual projects (saved on a shared drive) and all of us input their translations, then send to translation memory.

Since a few month now, I have noticed that I don't get as much matches as my colleagues do.
quote]
First of all:
1) Make sure all the users use exactly the same DVX build.
2) Repair the data base (make a backup first).

And sorry for a stupid question.
You have the same match threshold?

I have already checked in Project>Properties>Databases. Both database and translation memories are set up and the same way for each of the languages. As per databases/memories settings, all the boxes are ticked except the "Reverse" one for the secondary memory, as advised by the Déjà-Vu trainer.

From the technical point of view, it's not necessary.
I almost always use the Reverse mode.

Anyone in the same kind of setting come across such an issue?
Can you see something I explained that doesn't seem right for you?
Any advice?

IMO you should reorganize your termbase first and check again if it works.

Another problem I can imagine is related to file access rights on the server.
I never tested it but if the indexes can't be created/updated because of the insufficient user rights, the performance will decrease rapidly.

Cheers
GG

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Just a thought but ... Jan 19, 2010

Marie Melinon wrote:

Since a few month now, I have noticed that I don't get as much matches as my colleagues do. When they do, I check which projects their matches come from and then I open the relevant project just to notice that my translation is not in the memory.

... could this be the problem (page 158/159 of the Workgroup manual)?

"Storing the Client and Subject Settings
The client and subject settings, along with settings for AutoText,
AutoCorrect, and sentence delimitation (see pages 206, 211, and 201),
are automatically stored in the settings.dvset file. In the default setting,
this file is located in the Déjà Vu X Workgroup installation folder (on an
English Windows system typically at C:\Program Files\ATRIL\Deja Vu X).
If you work with other users over a network on the same file and/or
databases, you should save this file to an accessible point on the network
and have the different Déjà Vu X Workgroup installations access that file
by selecting Tools>Options>General.
Clicking on Shared settings location under Miscellaneous displays an
activated file selector with which you can select a path to the new
location."

Marie Melinon
Marie Melinon  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New routes of experimentations Jan 19, 2010

Thanks a lot Grzegorz and David.

Grzegorz: Match threshold is usually the same or quite similar. This is one of the things we've been trying to play on since we discover this malfunctioning.

I am not as technical as the content of both your answers. As far as I understand the techy part, it is confirming some of my fears or suspicions and those of the Infrasturcture guy that has been working on the initial set up.

I will be checking your answers with him to
... See more
Thanks a lot Grzegorz and David.

Grzegorz: Match threshold is usually the same or quite similar. This is one of the things we've been trying to play on since we discover this malfunctioning.

I am not as technical as the content of both your answers. As far as I understand the techy part, it is confirming some of my fears or suspicions and those of the Infrasturcture guy that has been working on the initial set up.

I will be checking your answers with him tomorrow.
I am pretty sure that the "settings.dvset" file is not in the ideal location for a smooth DVX run. We already have basic syncronisation issues with simple files. So I guess it can be one of the source of the issue.

I will see and try all the possibilities gathered so far and update this post for you two and any other persons confronted to the same problem.

Thanks again and wish me luck
Marie
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:12
English to Turkish
+ ...
COM+ Server Jan 19, 2010

Hi Marie,

Using the same settings.dvset file is important as David suggested. Besides, using COM+ Server may solve your problem. There are some settings required for COM+ Server, it is better to ask them to Atril Support [email protected]

Kind regards,

Selcuk

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
User access rights Jan 19, 2010

Marie Melinon wrote:

Match threshold is usually the same or quite similar. This is one of the things we've been trying to play on since we discover this malfunctioning.

Yes, I imagined it but sometimes a stupid question kinda "your cat uses to sleep on your printer" may help.
Recently, when I was out of home (a training...), one of my fuzzy bastards switched the IP adressing of my prehistoric heavy duty printer to DHCP and my wife was unable to print during three or four days
As the food was not good enough, the tomcat was gone for 3 days, so she was unable to ask him how exactly he did it

Well.
I checked it now.
DVX runs with no warning when the TM indexes are read only.
So, if the main file is flagged "modify" and the indexes are "read only", the data will be incoherent.
This kind of mismatches is a common issue on server drives.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issue when sending translation to the translation memory

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »