Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:09
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 5, 2010

Sorry, dumb question, but I just wanted to take a look at Deja Vu X, downloaded the demo... But how do I open some text file? All I have access to from File / Open menu are files in DVX native formats etc. (which I obviously don't have). How do I open some .doc file in there? Thanks.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:09
English to German
+ ...
Create a new project Jan 5, 2010

After creation of TM and TDB you will get an opportunity to import files, and later you can use the Project Explorer (an icon looking like the My Files folder) to import other files. And I am sure there was a tutorial somewhere..?

Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:09
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
You first have to create a project Jan 5, 2010

Hi Tomas,

In order to view a file in Deja Vu, you first have to create a Deja Vu project, and then you need to import your file. Just proceed as follows:

1) Launch Deja Vu (via the "Start" button or by double-clicking on the Deja Vu icon on your desktop)

2) Hit Ctrl N and choose the first icon ("Project"), then simply follow the wizard

After completing this process, you will see the content of your file displayed in a two column view. But make
... See more
Hi Tomas,

In order to view a file in Deja Vu, you first have to create a Deja Vu project, and then you need to import your file. Just proceed as follows:

1) Launch Deja Vu (via the "Start" button or by double-clicking on the Deja Vu icon on your desktop)

2) Hit Ctrl N and choose the first icon ("Project"), then simply follow the wizard

After completing this process, you will see the content of your file displayed in a two column view. But make sure that during import your file is closed, otherwise you will get a failure message.

Hope this helps

Olaf
Collapse

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
code Jan 5, 2010

Ah, sorry, it seems I have to request the evaluation code as the very very first thing - in demo mode "New" is disabled.

EDIT - I got the code but when I copy / paste it, the application asks "Are you sure your computer is set to the correct date?" and that is all.

[Edited at 2010-01-05 01:41 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:09
English to Turkish
+ ...
Correct date ... Jan 5, 2010

Tomas Mosler wrote:

I got the code but when I copy / paste it, the application asks "Are you sure your computer is set to the correct date?" and that is all.

Hi Tomas,
There should be two buttons "Yes" and "No", and when you click on "Yes" a new window will appear informing you on the expiration date.

Important note about creating projects:
Before creating a project (which may include several files of different types) do not forget to create a Translation Memory and a Terminology Database. You can create them under the menu File > New > ...

The new Project wizard will ask you to select a Translation Memory (TM) and a Terminology Database (TD), so it is essential to create them beforehand.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
"Opening" an inexistent data base :) Jan 5, 2010

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Important note about creating projects:
Before creating a project (which may include several files of different types) do not forget to create a Translation Memory and a Terminology Database. You can create them under the menu File > New > ...

The new Project wizard will ask you to select a Translation Memory (TM) and a Terminology Database (TD), so it is essential to create them beforehand. [/quote]

You can also simply "open" an inexistent data base.
I.e. click the "Ädd TM/TDB" buttons and write the file name by hand.
DVX will warn you the selected TM/TDD doesn't exist and ask you if you want to create a new one

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:09
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks Grzegorz Jan 5, 2010

I know that feature but in my opinion it is better to create them before the project, at least for a new user of Deja Vu.

BR,

Selcuk

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
No questions, no problems :) Jan 5, 2010

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I know that feature but in my opinion it is better to create them before the project, at least for a new user of Deja Vu.

Huh... it depends...
As I'm lazy, I rather "open" an inexistent data base for typical simple projects but when I want to have more control over the DBs, especially TDBs, I use File > New.
IMO the TDB structure selection dialog may be somehow embarassing for a dummy.
When you "open" an inexistent TDB, no questions, no problems

Cheers
GG

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
bad Jan 5, 2010

There should be two buttons "Yes" and "No", and when you click on "Yes" a new window will appear informing you on the expiration date.

Well I get the license screen where I insert the evaluation code and click Accept - after that, a new window appears questioning the date. If I answer Yes (date is correct), I am told the code is not valid and that is all.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
When did you ask for the evaluation code? Jan 6, 2010

Tomas Mosler wrote:

Well I get the license screen where I insert the evaluation code and click Accept - after that, a new window appears questioning the date. If I answer Yes (date is correct), I am told the code is not valid and that is all.

As far as I remember, it runs from the date it was issued rather than the date you actually try to activate it. So if you asked for a code a couple of months ago and never got round to activating it, it won't work now and you'll have to ask for another one.

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
code Jan 6, 2010

I asked for the code on in time between my first post and (edit of) my second post in this thread, one and half day ago, so I should not have something obsolete I assume. (My PC date/time is fine.)

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
It happens... Jan 7, 2010

Tomas Mosler wrote:

I asked for the code on in time between my first post and (edit of) my second post in this thread, one and half day ago, so I should not have something obsolete I assume. (My PC date/time is fine.)

I remember, 5 or 6 years ago, I received a code which was not accepted on my machine.
Probably the reason was I had a multiboot configuration with two operating systems.
It was not a big problem for me, in few days I received a dongle.

BTW.
When I noticed 'em the code is not working, they send my another one the next day.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to open a file in DVX?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »